Experience with CRC's move from DHL to SkyNet?

Eugene Brown

It can't possibly be worse.

Please keep us posted for those trying to decide between CRC & Merlin/Other.

Will keep everyone posted... Holding thumbs here!

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been buying from Merlin and using their UPS free courier option since 2015, and I never had an issue with this. The best delivery period was 2 days for the goods to be delivered at customs in SA, the average delivery time is 4 days. Track it online and when you know it's here, call UPS in Jhb and ask about the clearance fees. I usually do an EFT and send them confirmation of payment from my bank, and delivery happens the next day. I've had over 20 orders and never had a lost/stolen item, and delivery was always under a week. 

Okay this makes me feel a little better... Fondy do you know if you also have the option to also pay the fees on delivery?

Okay Everyone,  helluva week at work last week meant I didn't get to update on my delivery from Merlin via UPS. I couldn't believe it when, after placing my order around midday last Wednesday I got a call from the UPS courier on Friday morning at 11:00 informing me he was 5 minutes away from my office with the delivery!!

So all in all... 36 Hours from the UK to Cape Town. Fantastic experience and will definitely be checking out Merlin in the future when I an in the market for components!!

Merlin and other certainly appear to be more feasible.

At the moment, CRCs Express appears to be worse than SAPO.

Okay Everyone,  helluva week at work last week meant I didn't get to update on my delivery from Merlin via UPS. I couldn't believe it when, after placing my order around midday last Wednesday I got a call from the UPS courier on Friday morning at 11:00 informing me he was 5 minutes away from my office with the delivery!!

So all in all... 36 Hours from the UK to Cape Town. Fantastic experience and will definitely be checking out Merlin in the future when I an in the market for components!!

UPS are normally fantastic. Far and away the best experiences I've had with shipping. 

Merlin and other certainly appear to be more feasible.

At the moment, CRCs Express appears to be worse than SAPO.

Just a pity the free shipping on orders for ZA is R6300 vs the rest of the world is R900 - R2200.

Now I'm in the predicament to spend R2000 extra to save R450 on shipping.

Just a pity the free shipping on orders for ZA is R6300 vs the rest of the world is R900 - R2200.

Now I'm in the predicament to spend R2000 extra to save R450 on shipping.

Get some peeps to order with you.?

Ordered with CRC on 16 August.... still waiting.... only left London on Saturday... Skynet is making me look elsewhere

Ordered with CRC on 16 August.... still waiting.... only left London on Saturday... Skynet is making me look elsewhere

You and many others.

If they can't improve their turnaround, and CRC wants to continue with them, at least just indicate a more realistic shipping time so that buyers know what they're in for.

Skynet clearly have no sense of urgency. I ordered shoes from CRC on 20 August. The parcel arrived in Jo'burg on Saturday 25 August and the same day I got an email asking for my ID number. I sent it immediately and on Sunday I got a reply saying thank you. Tuesday 28th I received an invoice for duties etc which I paid straight away and sent proof. The parcel was released by customs on Wednesday 29 August. It arrived in Cape Town on Friday afternoon and up to now has not shown anything about being out for delivery.

2 - 3 weeks on average given recent experiences.

No issue with that if it was stated accordingly when ordering, rather than "Express 3-5 days".

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. Skynet is shocking. They levied an extra "handling fee" of R230. Call centre staff are unhelpful and rude. I will not order from CRC again as long as they use Skynet to ship. Skynet seem to be competely unethical and incompetent.

I am still waiting for my shoes. I phoned Skynet last week and they said they will get back to me which they never did. I phoned again earlier today and the guy said they tried to deliver them twice, but no one was home (which is never the case). Hopefully I'll get them tomorrow.

I am sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. Skynet is shocking. They levied an extra "handling fee" of R230. Call centre staff are unhelpful and rude. I will not order from CRC again as long as they use Skynet to ship. Skynet seem to be competely unethical and incompetent.

That handling fee is ridiculous when you have already paid the courier costs to CRC.

So I eventually got my shoes. Here's the timeline:

20 August - Ordered from CRC

25 August - Arrived in Johannesburg - 5 days

30 August - Arrived in Cape Town after customs clearance - 5 days

12 September - Arrived at my house (+- 10km from the Skynet depot) - 13 days

I doubt I'll order much from CRC again unless it's an absolute bargain that will make the Skynet experience worth it.