Karoo to Coast

Marichen

Must have been quite a few DNF.

I was, ah hem, getting my money's worth at the back and from what I could see, quite a few stopped off at the last two water points and didn't continue from there.  That's beside the sweep vehicles that went by loaded with bikes and riders.

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question. I wonder how many were DNS vs DNF.

I can't imagine spending more than 5 hours on this, it will feel like forever. Then again less than that always feels like it's over in a flash.

Theoretically I can do sub 4 (if you copy and paste together all PR segments) but wether I will be able to pull that off in real life over the remaining 2 atempts I have is another question.

Some people claim there is also a medal for finishing your tenth? Is that true, if so I'll have to stick around on the last one.

Anyway, I'm already excited about 2019.

I am one of those "entered, but not finished". Due to illness in the family I had to forfeit my K2C. I was really looking forward to it.

In 2013 I got a DNF.

Went back this year for unfinished business. Got sick 2 weeks ago but decided to go through with it.  Now my time on Racetec says 6:35min.

That tells me that I really need to be back in 2019. I need to improve that time.

But it was an amazing race.

Felt like I shook some teeth loose .

Had tubeless Ikons at 2.2bar my weight 95kg

What pressure should I use?

Great day out.Some of those campers CAN SNOR!!!!!!!!

The Guy that went over the edge at the top of Pr Alfreds:YOU ARE ONE LUCKY GUY!!!

Anyone know what happened to the guy that was loaded into the ambulance just after the 2nd water point just as the decent started?

Really hope the guy is ok and that it's nothing serious.

Jeez that was tough and loads of fun!! Aimed for 06h30min on my first attempt. Managed 05h48min in the end, stopped at all the waterpoints, took in the scenery, picked up a free Scott helmet. Quite happy with that time, but I realized a few things..I should NOT have been seeded in Batch A, and being 110kg and doing all this climbing just doesn't work together! I cramped up badly from 57km onwards, got a flat down Prince Alfreds. Chain got really really squeaky at one point. If the guy that stopped to give me his lube by chance reads this, please contact me, I want to repay you for your help! I'll definitely be back next year, but I'll aim for 20kg lighter and a sub 5hours time! I saw the paramedics tend to the guy having a heart attack(He looks like a young fit guy), do anybody know if he is okay? That kinda scared me..after that I even took it a bit easier. 

Anyone know what happened to the guy that was loaded into the ambulance just after the 2nd water point just as the decent started?

Really hope the guy is ok and that it's nothing serious.

Don't have too much detail but I understand it was a minor heart attack, oke spent the rest of the weekend in ICU and will probably be released today. Hopefully he will make a full recovery.

Jeez that was tough and loads of fun!! Aimed for 06h30min on my first attempt. Managed 05h48min in the end, stopped at all the waterpoints, took in the scenery, picked up a free Scott helmet. Quite happy with that time, but I realized a few things..I should NOT have been seeded in Batch A, and being 110kg and doing all this climbing just doesn't work together! I cramped up badly from 57km onwards, got a flat down Prince Alfreds. Chain got really really squeaky at one point. If the guy that stopped to give me his lube by chance reads this, please contact me, I want to repay you for your help! I'll definitely be back next year, but I'll aim for 20kg lighter and a sub 5hours time! I saw the paramedics tend to the guy having a heart attack(He looks like a young fit guy), do anybody know if he is okay? That kinda scared me..after that I even took it a bit easier. 

WHAT??? Where was that?

Don't have too much detail but I understand it was a minor heart attack, oke spent the rest of the weekend in ICU and will probably be released today. Hopefully he will make a full recovery.

Jeez... Seems like this happens more and more these days. Glad he's ok. 

WHAT??? Where was that?

At the waterpoint without coke, just before you descent down to where the Simola climb starts. The paramedics were on the phone with his wife telling her that they are working on him, ambulance is on it's way, and they'll keep her updated on where they are taking him. On that descent 3 minutes later the ambulance went by me to pick him up. That was really scary, the guy came past me about 10km earlier still looking in good shape.

Jeez... Seems like this happens more and more these days. Glad he's ok. 

I saw the paramedics tend to the guy having a heart attack(He looks like a young fit guy), do anybody know if he is okay? That kinda scared me..after that I even took it a bit easier. 

I think it is easy when you are super fit and on form to think you are bullet proof and ignore the small signs your body is giving you that something is wrong or do something stupid like racing while suffering from a cold (certainly not implying this is what happened in this case). Speaking from personal experience heart attacks can happen to anyone while racing.

There are certainly people that start that are not able to finish or miss the cut-off, but I would say most are people who didn't start. Afaik Racetec and the organisers don't share that details.

There are also people that did it without a chip so CSA wont give them a headache unless they troll strava...

There are also people that did it without a chip so CSA wont give them a headache unless they troll strava...

Chips were built into boards. Nobody could ride without a board. No orange chips were used in the race.