Karoo to Coast

Marichen

Talking about clipping handlebars.. Just before Avontuur there is a flattish piece of jeeptrack.. I was pushing it at around 40kmh in the right hand lane..dude in front in left lane has a look back, sees me coming at speed, and still changes lanes in front of me. I had to take evasive action into the bushes to avoid him, but still clipped his handlebar. My first reaction was saying "sorry sorry", don't know even why because he's the one that caused it.. His reaction..."F%^& OFF!!". That's when I gave him a solid piece of my mind.. My mother would not be proud of my language there. 

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the third call from LBS this morning..the list is growing...

Major Service

New derailleur cable

Brake lever repair

New brake pads

Seized BB bearings

I also actually need a new cassette and chain, but will force another month or two's service out of them and see what pops up around Black Friday..

Got the third call from LBS this morning..the list is growing...

Is your bike made from plastic?

My chain breaking is a sign that my drivetrain is going, but it's been on the bike since March and I ride a lot. A simple clean and lube restored it to riding smoothly, shifting clean - no issues at all.

I taped a chain breaker tool to the bike and after the next chain break I'll replace chain, cassette and chainring. 

My experiences with bike shops are they are in it to make money - for some odd reason. 

But I will never forfeit a ride just for my bike's sake  :devil:

My chain breaking is a sign that my drivetrain is going, but it's been on the bike since March and I ride a lot. A simple clean and lube restored it to riding smoothly, shifting clean - no issues at all.

I taped a chain breaker tool to the bike and after the next chain break I'll replace chain, cassette and chainring. 

My experiences with bike shops are they are in it to make money - for some odd reason. 

Haha no, but the Sunrace cassette might be plastic! I've been putting off replacing my chain and cassette for about 2000km already..three of the rings on the cassette is useless at the moment, slipping for months now as soon as I put some power down on them.. wanted to replace it before K2C, but saw the weather predictions and decided I'll feel less guilty with the old cassette and chain in those conditions..been putting it off for so long, might as well wait until Black friday now to see if there are any specials.

Haha no, but the Sunrace cassette might be plastic! I've been putting off replacing my chain and cassette for about 2000km already..three of the rings on the cassette is useless at the moment, slipping for months now as soon as I put some power down on them.. wanted to replace it before K2C, but saw the weather predictions and decided I'll feel less guilty with the old cassette and chain in those conditions..been putting it off for so long, might as well wait until Black friday now to see if there are any specials.

Is this a 11 or 12 spd drivetrain?

I got a very low km 11-42 Sunrace cassette at home, that I might let go for a decent price.

Funny thing is, I already ordered the replacement parts and I'm going back to Sunrace from the Shimano that is on there now.  :blush: But I have not had any issues with Sunrace before. 

I was thinking for my 10th one next year I should try this on my 26er. Initially in 2011 I would have rode my first one on a 26er but my dad said I could borrow his new 29er - the rest is history.

Question, is there a physical prize/medal you get for completing 10? Should I stick around for prize giving or can I hit the road after finishing?

Is this a 11 or 12 spd drivetrain?

I got a very low km 11-42 Sunrace cassette at home, that I might let go for a decent price.

Thanks Wannabe, but I'll be looking to fit at least a 11-46 or 11-50 as I'm planning to fit a 36T up front I got as a gift

Funny thing is, I already ordered the replacement parts and I'm going back to Sunrace from the Shimano that is on there now.  :blush: But I have not had any issues with Sunrace before. 

I was thinking for my 10th one next year I should try this on my 26er. Initially in 2011 I would have rode my first one on a 26er but my dad said I could borrow his new 29er - the rest is history.

Question, is there a physical prize/medal you get for completing 10? Should I stick around for prize giving or can I hit the road after finishing?

I'm pretty sure they called the 10 year Honour's Board members up on stage last year..not sure if they get a special prize though

Thanks Wannabe, but I'll be looking to fit at least a 11-46 or 11-50 as I'm planning to fit a 36T up front I got as a gift

11-50 with 36 is good but a 9 or 10 -46 with a 34 is what you really want. 

Rouxenator telling people his acceptable range for bike part replacement/failure....one of the 7 wonders of the hub, LOVE IT!

Probably been covered, so apologies, but I am really curious about how they cleared the DNF's in this race.  As far as I can figure out, about 4,500 entered, but less than half finished.  The logistics of mopping these rider up must be a nightmare, made especially difficult by the rain.  Does anyone know how they did this?

Probably been covered, so apologies, but I am really curious about how they cleared the DNF's in this race.  As far as I can figure out, about 4,500 entered, but less than half finished.  The logistics of mopping these rider up must be a nightmare, made especially difficult by the rain.  Does anyone know how they did this?

by the truckload. literally.

did they clear over 2000 riders with trucks? fekme, what a mission

reallynot sureabout the amount but the trucks I saw were full of people in space blankets....not to mention the 10T lorries with bikes on them stacked to the moon. i wanted to take a picture of the truck i mentioned earlier witht he damaged bikes but thought it not very classy to take pics of people in distress about their broken bikes lol

Edited by morneS555

I highly doubt there were 4500 riders. Last year in dry conditions there were 422 finishers in my group, this year 430. I'm going to assume a group size is then around 450 riders. 7 start groups plus tandems = 3200 riders at most. Entries did not sell out this year and many people did not pitch because of the weather.. I'd say MAX 250-300 people needed a lift on the trucks.