Pre-owned Garmin, worth it?

Snafu

With the settings right my Suunto trainer(lower model than the sport) has lasted 13 hours logging a run.

I was and am a Garmin fan still, but what you get for what you pay it just does not make sense especially with the warranty in SA,

3 free straps

2 hr monitor straps for the non wrist hr watches

5 batteries for the hr monitor straps,

5 services

1 charging cable

Garmin has served me well but I honestly will need a lot of convincing to go back now. On the enduro bike the 401 and the etrex are still the best thing since sliced bread and the 401 is actually a great running watch for longer events because you can get like 36 hours off batteries and then just add new ones to carry on going instead of having to charge.

My other big realization is that once you go to wrist HR you don't go back...

sleep tracking, all day heart rates, never forgetting a strap, the only time it sucks is on the bike, but I have a strap for that at least now.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think you can claim to be the original owner. Generally everyone registers on Garmin Connect and Garmin (Navworld) can see registration details including exact date the unit was first activated and by whom.

My biggest concern in a wrist gps is battery life, it's the main reason I'm looking at the Fenix range. Need at least 12 hours in training/gps mode, I'm not into the information overload and a Fenix 6 would be a wasted piece of great kit for me.

Thanks for the input all.

I bought a second hand Fenix 3 a few years back. Last year I did the Wild-coast Hike and used the watch to track Distance and Time and still got 11hrs+ every day running in GPS mode. Had to charge the watch every eve but that is to be expected. Never lost power throughout.

Edited by Pah Bear

I've had both the Suunto and the Garmin.. 

I bought a used Fenix 3 and sadly will never go back to Suunto.

Movescount is rubbish, the Garmin software just works! 

I have no regrets on buying used, payed 3k for mine (not sapphire) and couldnt be happier. 

Edited by the nerd

Takealot has Fenix 3 Sapphire for R5999 today.

What is wring with SA and its pricing?

I got my Fenix 3 HR Sapphire for around R4,000 and today a local sports company has one on offer for R3,400 (no HR or sapphire)

https://www.intersport.dk/produkter/kvinder/garmin-fenix-3-grey/garmin.010_01338_01.grey.0753759131678.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6J7YBRC4ARIsAJMXXsceY42qY4olyaOxicV0sCnmU2qRch9TRNds4XzODmOVjUjhB4hrlikaAgEmEALw_wcB

HR silver edition for R3,600 https://sportmaster.dk/garmin-fenixr-3-hr-silver-edition-1486930?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6J7YBRC4ARIsAJMXXsdh1uYh3NKnmuhJpOodxW4yjiL-zdcwJqZAaxnOtHYELHdgv8VDh5YaAlesEALw_wcB

Surely shipping and warrantee in SA can't be that expensive???!!!!?!?!?

If you can find a good well looked after second hand Fenix 3 HR, pull the trigger.

I have had mine for almost 2 years and it still works a treat.

I would stay away from Suunto if you plan to use it for biking (only bluetooth compatible). Older power meters, heart rate straps etc. only use ANT+

I have had the F3 and now the F5, If I had the choice I would revert back to a F3HR.  The F5 is good and the more modern software great, but they cut corners on BLE and ANT+ sensors connectivity which continually drops, in particular with a power meter. (know problem, plenty of info on it on the web on it.  Only the F5X seems not to have that issue).  Fortunately I have the Edge 520 when cycling.... but still, when you fork out that much money for a top of the range watch like the F5, you expect it to work on everything!!

I got my Fenix 3 HR Sapphire for around R4,000 and today a local sports company has one on offer for R3,400 (no HR or sapphire)

https://www.intersport.dk/produkter/kvinder/garmin-fenix-3-grey/garmin.010_01338_01.grey.0753759131678.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6J7YBRC4ARIsAJMXXsceY42qY4olyaOxicV0sCnmU2qRch9TRNds4XzODmOVjUjhB4hrlikaAgEmEALw_wcB

HR silver edition for R3,600 https://sportmaster.dk/garmin-fenixr-3-hr-silver-edition-1486930?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6J7YBRC4ARIsAJMXXsdh1uYh3NKnmuhJpOodxW4yjiL-zdcwJqZAaxnOtHYELHdgv8VDh5YaAlesEALw_wcB

Greed.

I don't have need currently for a running watch but am starting out slowly with trails and definitely would not buy locally when time comes. Ordered my 820 online and have been very happy with it for almost 2yrs. Is there any duties on smart watches?

Some good info, thanks all.

thanks for the Takealot heads-up, just paidalot for a new watch...

WRT buying online, I had a shocker when I ordered a hydration vest online, I had to cough up R893 at the local post office in import duties and VAT.

*snip*

My other big realization is that once you go to wrist HR you don't go back...

sleep tracking, all day heart rates, never forgetting a strap, the only time it sucks is on the bike, but I have a strap for that at least now.

I haven't had the pleasure of using a wrist based HR unit yet but I can see the benefit already. I carry my Edge 305 (Yeah still going) in my hand with the belt around my chest. I need to adjust the chest strap on mine often. My jiggly bits tend to make it shift position a bit. Putting on a watch seems so much easier...

Some good info, thanks all.

thanks for the Takealot heads-up, just paidalot for a new watch...

WRT buying online, I had a shocker when I ordered a hydration vest online, I had to cough up R893 at the local post office in import duties and VAT.

Next time use a mule. Just don't tell Lexx.....

I have had the F3 and now the F5, If I had the choice I would revert back to a F3HR.  The F5 is good and the more modern software great, but they cut corners on BLE and ANT+ sensors connectivity which continually drops, in particular with a power meter. (know problem, plenty of info on it on the web on it.  Only the F5X seems not to have that issue).  Fortunately I have the Edge 520 when cycling.... but still, when you fork out that much money for a top of the range watch like the F5, you expect it to work on everything!!

Shaper I have a Edge 520 for cycling and currently have an old Polar M400 for the odd run/activity tracking - would you say the F3HR is worth if if I sold off the M400?

Untill they do. Then you are screwed when you “almost new watch” that you only paid 20% less than new needs a replacement part that costs almost the same as a new watch.

With watches syncing to profiles etc, it’s just to risky to try and claim you are the first owner.

Garmin's warranty is not a first owner warrantee. Thats a bike thing (and a massive con). Its one year from first satellite connection.

Have a F3HR Sap for the past year and half. Wont trade it for anything else as it just works. If you plan on doing a single day event the 1 Second GPS is fine. I would say I get around 14 hours almost on mine.

I charge mine every Friday with around 20% left on it with at least 6-7 hours of 1 Second GPS activities for the week.

Also to take into consideration is that if you put the GPS on Ultratrack mode you get 40+ hours on activities. Absolutely exceptional for stage events. Unfortunately all other brands cant compete in this space.

The Wrist HR also works fine. When I compared it to a chest strap is was a little slower to pickup but was in general less than 2bpm different from the chest strap sometimes but most of the time the same.

I got one of those Velcro strap bands that I cut a hole in for the HR monitor and it works great. Got a extra strap for if this one one day would break but doubt it.

Anyways My vote F3HR Sapphire ... No looking back on the 9k investment I made back then