PainCave "Fight Night" Powered By Buycycle.co.za - SA's ZWIFT Race

Christian van Zyl

Thanks for joining guys! Another hectic night of racing and some tired bodies today.

The results are attached.

As you can see there seemed to be a problem with the first two recorded across the line, both finishing in under 18 minutes - so looks like a Zwift glitch

Also a huge well done the ladies that rode last night (i think we had about 10 to 12 ladies racing). Great to see the ladies represented last night.

Unofficially, it looks like J Kniep won the men's race with a time of 1:15:32 and the women's race was won by S Eckard in a time of 1:33:02

Great riding there!

Next week we are back on Watopia, and hopefully on a flatter course this time around! Will keep everyone posted......

just looking at the results.

i see there are groups - yet in all groups i see people at the top have properly decent W/KG figures that are pretty much the same as across the groups.

so what is the point of the groups? because to me it looks like its not based off ability

Edited by Furbz

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No HR = Immediately DQ.

Always been like that.

My biggest gripe would be racing against a Z power rider. Like we had last week.

In the last results there were tons of riders with no HR which is why I asked.

Alsi - what is a Z power rider?

In the last results there were tons of riders with no HR which is why I asked.

Alsi - what is a Z power rider?

When the rider's power is calculated with their speed and cadence sensors on the bike. So they're not on a smart trainer or using a power meter, but rather Zwift calculates their power with speed and cadence.

When the rider's power is calculated with their speed and cadence sensors on the bike. So they're not on a smart trainer or using a power meter, but rather Zwift calculates their power with speed and cadence.

Ah. Thanks!

just looking at the results.

i see there are groups - yet in all groups i see people at the top have properly decent W/KG figures that are pretty much the same as across the groups.

so what is the point of the groups? because to me it looks like its not based off ability

age catteries

age catteries

Age Cats are crazy.

I really think this needs a change. How does a guy who produces 1.5w/kg feel after a race where the winner is a 4w/kg. Do you think the 1.5 guy will be back? I doubt it.

Anyways not my issue. But if you want to grow this format in South Africa perhaps one could look at the reasons why w/kg groups were created in the first place.

Age Cats are crazy.

I really think this needs a change. How does a guy who produces 1.5w/kg feel after a race where the winner is a 4w/kg. Do you think the 1.5 guy will be back? I doubt it.

Anyways not my issue. But if you want to grow this format in South Africa perhaps one could look at the reasons why w/kg groups were created in the first place.

thanks for reminding me :ph34r:

Age Cats are crazy.

I would have thought that measuring yourself against your peers/age groupers would make more sense than ranking yourself against someone who is the same strength as you regardless of their age or sex.

Winning/placing high in an internet race against a range of ages and sexes is about the ego - an assessment of yourself against your peers is honesty (in my pinion of course).

I would have thought that measuring yourself against your peers/age groupers would make more sense than ranking yourself against someone who is the same strength as you regardless of their age or sex.

Winning/placing high in an internet race against a range of ages and sexes is about the ego - an assessment of yourself against your peers is honesty (in my pinion of course).

For the guy that wins.

It also takes away group dynamics and makes the race more like a spread out session. If you want good tight races it should be in Categories. Like Cat 1 Cat 2 Cat 3.

The only place that has vets racing is Joburg. The rest of the world and Cape Town use cats because it makes sense.

problem is I'm a slightly overweight 34 year old. there is no way I can race against the $$$ group guys who are usually all the same age.

basically the same concept as the argus  seeding. put all the dikgatte together and let them race  suffer together regardless of age

For the guy that wins.

It also takes away group dynamics and makes the race more like a spread out session. If you want good tight races it should be in Categories. Like Cat 1 Cat 2 Cat 3.

The only place that has vets racing is Joburg. The rest of the world and Cape Town use cats because it makes sense.

so VA , VB etc. is only a Gauteng thing?

For the guy that wins.

problem is I'm a slightly overweight 34 year old. there is no way I can race against the $$$ group guys who are usually all the same age.

basically the same concept as the argus  seeding. put all the dikgatte together and let them race  suffer together regardless of age

I guess the social side makes sense and keeps the racing closer and more competitive.

Me - I prefer to see how I compare to my peers. Each to their own.

Mostly yes. Also its a very select few people who race in those groups. The majority of the people racing are in A, B C D etc

I race licenced too, so I am not fighting for myself. In the other Zwift races I race B which is about 3.7w/kg. 

I just think and a lot of other smart people. If you want the groups to grow and be a hit. Then seed according to ability.

Used to be everywhere. I remember WP and PPA doing it like that years ago, but these days it's all category racing. At least here in the Western Cape. Not sure about anywhere else. The only time the races are divided into age cats is WP champs and SA champs I think, but vets and sub-vets still race together and u/23 and elite (even though they have separate results).

Hey guys,

Awesome racing last night! I’ll post some photos of the race and results in a short while.

Once we start incorporating prizes (and once ZwiftPower is up), we will definitely start looking at heart rates etc. Like someone above mentioned, you may just want to race and don’t have a heat rate monitor, is that ground for disqualification....I think if you are in line for prizes then definitely a HR monitor will be required, no zpower and no power ups!

Even if heart rate is mandatory, there is still weight that needs to be inserted correctly - something we will have to work on.

Age group versus w/kg - yes it is something we are watching. If we introduce prizes, it becomes very difficult to control if a certain rider is actually 3w/kg rider or not. Nothing stop you from entering a lower category.

The format of the race is that everyone starts together, so groups should form naturally regardless of any categories - in actual fact the first category that needs to be addressed is men and women!

Guys we would love to see this grow and want to do some exciting things going forward, so the suggestions and input from all is much appreciated!

I guess the social side makes sense and keeps the racing closer and more competitive.

Me - I prefer to see how I compare to my peers. Each to their own.

If you are an above average rider yes..

Same with golf, if you have a low handicap you wont mind mixing it with the pro's as they will beat you with a couple of shots. No enjoyment though for a 15 handicapper to get his ass handed to him by 15 to 20 shots every time.