Wahoo kicker first impression

guylrc

hi

with regards to the ANT+ stick.  If takealot are on back order, get one from Sportsworld. You can possibly get it on the weekend using the money saved to pay for priority delivery.

http://www.sportsworld.co.za/home/201-usb-ant-dongle-stick.html

I've used this one without issues for months.  One caveat, if the PC is going to be more than a few meters from your trainer maybe get a USB extension cord so the stick can be closer...

http://www.sportsworld.co.za/home/201-usb-ant-dongle-stick.html

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mini hijack

Is there any way to calibrate a wahoo kickr other than the spindown.  I always spin it down, but my ftp tests seem to be ~10% below par compared to my normal rides on the road with a stages...

PS i ca'nt check them against each other, because I have a through axle road bike and use an old bike with a QR on the trainer

both stages and kickr are meant to be good kit...

mini hijack

Is there any way to calibrate a wahoo kickr other than the spindown.  I always spin it down, but my ftp tests seem to be ~10% below par compared to my normal rides on the road with a stages...

PS i ca'nt check them against each other, because I have a through axle road bike and use an old bike with a QR on the trainer

Reason for the difference https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/adjusting-your-functional-threshold-power-for-indoor-riding/

mini hijack

That sounds about right. 

Most people estimate that the difference between indoors and outdoors is around 10%,

Power meters will aways have different power readings..just have a look at mine on the attachment - same heartrate reading but different power numbers.

I understand this. The power readings (all from the Snap) varied wildly from one session to the next. I am hoping that it was teething issues. My last two sessions have been consistent, without any power drops to my mobile device. 

Once again thanks for the insights. Takealot graciously cancelled my order for next week and ASG delivered the next day (thanks guys) !

So with the ANT+ on I thought all would be good. I did the 5 minute test as prescribed by Sean (Wahoo SA) and found no issues. Then did a 6 x 6 minute 250 watt interval session. Disaster - completely inaccurate and could not pedal by the third interval as the power generated felt more like 400 watts (apart from my wifi i need to run Zwift there is nothing else to interfere with the Wahoo). Tested with P1 pedals again and sent video to Wahoo and await feedback. The test showed up to 80 watts higher on Wahoo than proven P1 pedals which I know are within 1% of reality. This is closer to 30% inaccuracy. Then there was continued dropping of power and power showing even while free wheeling. 

Just give it a month or 2 it might fix itself, thats what happened to mine. I used to have drops from 500W to 0W up and down but without changing anything, the unit stabilised on its own and its been over a year now working perfectly.

Just give it a month or 2 it might fix itself, thats what happened to mine. I used to have drops from 500W to 0W up and down but without changing anything, the unit stabilised on its own and its been over a year now working perfectly.

And if it doesnt? Two months down the drain

Not really a viable option me thinks

And if it doesnt? Two months down the drain

Not really a viable option me thinks

If it doesn't then you have a team of Wahoo experts there to ensure you get the best experience. 

W've We've been selling the KICKR now for 5 years... Thousands of units. Most used trainer on ZWIFT in South Africa.

We're very confident in the brand, the hardware and our local team's ability to sort out any issue. 

We also appreciate that the biggest coaches in the country use and recommend the product for its accuracy 

Edited by Christian van Zyl

How often do you need to service the Wahoo Kickr, and where can you get it done?

Edited by bradwentzel

How often do you need to service the Wahoo Kickr, and where can you get it done?

No need to service the KICKR. The Pain.Cave studio's have been running for a couple of years without any servicing. 

We have replaces a couple of the drive train belts over the years and the cassettes. Wahoo sent us extra bearings a couple of years back, but we've not needed to change any yet.

We have a complete workshop with all the parts that make a KICKR up, even the power supplies. 

You can connect with our customer services team at support@wahoofitness.co.za or phone them on 087 654 1940

Tacx Neo....problems solved

Madone69,

I'm in the market for a direct drive trainer and was looking as the Neo. Can you recommend it?

Hi Nikki, I cant comment on the direct drive neo, but for what its worth i have a tacx bushido smart(for 1 1/2years now), couldn't be happier, connected out the box to my iphone, ipad, and a pc with ant+ dongle when my ipad broke. now connects to my new ipad no problem. power is similar to my quarq power meter and i ride zwift often.I also have a apple tv connected, phone with bluetooth on and use a polar h10 strap all at the same time. So there are multiple bluetooth devices connected to the same pad and can confidently say I haven't experienced any of the connectivity issues brought up here. i'm not saying they won't resolve the issues with the wahoo, or there are no tacx guys with problems , but for myself an a couple of my friends that have have tacx smart trainers, we have none have connectivity issues. good luck, hope this helps...

If it doesn't then you have a team of Wahoo experts there to ensure you get the best experience. W've We've been selling the KICKR now for 5 years... Thousands of units. Most used trainer on ZWIFT in South Africa.

We're very confident in the brand, the hardware and our local team's ability to sort out any issue. 

We also appreciate that the biggest coaches in the country use and recommend the product for its accuracy

Why hasn't the team of experts taken in the op's trainer to check it out, calibrate and diagnose the issue and given him a loan unit whilst they do?

Why hasn't the team of experts taken in the op's trainer to check it out, calibrate and diagnose the issue and given him a loan unit whilst they do?

Hello Shaper, 

Thanks for the reply. 

With Wahoo's tech it is not necessary to ship units around, we have a diagnostic tool to check all the "vitals" of the KICKR remotely...Reminds me of "The Matrix". 

We've done the tests with the OP and see no reason to bring the unit in right now as the test passed every single requirement. 

Our regional manager for Cape Town will visit the OP this week to do an assessment and see what he can find using his software and Wahoo ELEMNT. 

I'm confident that we'll find a meaningful solution. If not we'll follow the process and get new unit shipped down.