94.7 rubbish compulsory entry survey

Furbz

This^^^ just makes our lives easier so we have to mine and scrape less, especially for specific markets like cycling.(that being said suunto and strava do a lot for us already)

We have more valuable data sets and capture more than you guys realize buy ya data is money.

Pfft the private companies are more careful with their data than the government, remember the government had one of their 30 odd gig backups with over 20million ID numbers and possible title deeds freely available to download by accident last year.

Private companies know the value in the data and will protect it especially from competitors.

And you know private is better how? Because you have not seen it in the press (big breaches of data by private companies), does not mean it does not happen. Most companies are woefully unprepared to protect private data, some massive public companies too (which companies are bound by a whole different set of rules and regulations). 

Just putting it out there. Use it. Don't. 

And you know private is better how? Because you have not seen it in the press (big breaches of data by private companies), does not mean it does not happen. Most companies are woefully unprepared to protect private data, some massive public companies too (which companies are bound by a whole different set of rules and regulations). 

Just putting it out there. Use it. Don't.

Im doing some cyber security studies this year....it seems like most companies, as you mention, are woefully underprepared and only seem to swing into action once the horse has left the stable!!

I assumed other private companies put the time and energy into it as we do but evidently they don't. Probably wrong for assuming it I guess but ya it goes. To us information gathered is usually protected heavily.

The other thing is blatant asking for information is fine, you can usually say no and you know what is being collected. The stuff you are unaware of is another story. How many have read your car tracking privacy policies closely?

Im doing some cyber security studies this year....it seems like most companies, as you mention, are woefully underprepared and only seem to swing into action once the horse has left the stable!!

Hotels and Accommodation are some of the worst.

I assumed other private companies put the time and energy into it as we do but evidently they don't. Probably wrong for assuming it I guess but ya it goes. To us information gathered is usually protected heavily.

The other thing is blatant asking for information is fine, you can usually say no and you know what is being collected. The stuff you are unaware of is another story. How many have read your car tracking privacy policies closely?

The sooner we all realise that we are being monitored and tracked in every sphere of interaction the sooner we will all be more vigilant.

Go out with the pretense that someone is watching your actions 24/7 and keeping book of exactly what you do online and you will come close to what Google is actually getting right.

Just like you fill in a false cellphone numbers upon entry into security complexes, do the same with other data collectors and you will at least confuse them a little bit. :devil:

Oh and good luck if you buy anything on Credit, your phone will ring everyday for the next month with someone trying to sell you some service, mostly cellphone contracts.

if they said.

"Can you please fill in the questions or take part in the study you can win a week away"

can tell you know that most will not mind doing it and even willing to even supply more information.

atleats my entry is done by other and I did not have to do it

Am guessing Liberty will be the exception to the norm of safety of data....

Pfffftt.

I suspect that it is rather a storm in a teacup and the only real risk is to Liberty's reputation.

Hotels and Accommodation are some of the worst.

I know, sometime ago I found a huge pile of rubbish laying in the veld near my town....put on my plastic gloves (I carry these all the time since finding a ton of med waste in my area but this another story!) and dug around. Turns out it was from a very prestigious and expensive hotel in the area that had thrown out files and files worth of client info such as names, IDs, car regs, CC numbers, room and bar tabs etc etc...When I confronted them I was told it couldn't be as they shred all the documents and dispose of them the right way.....! And amazingly it wasn't a few weeks later that I found more crap laying about (some scruffies in my town) and again it was client info from a small self catering venue but again was full names with ID numbers, credit card details etc etc....

The sooner we all realise that we are being monitored and tracked in every sphere of interaction the sooner we will all be more vigilant.

Go out with the pretense that someone is watching your actions 24/7 and keeping book of exactly what you do online and you will come close to what Google is actually getting right.

Just like you fill in a false cellphone numbers upon entry into security complexes, do the same with other data collectors and you will at least confuse them a little bit. :devil:

Oh and good luck if you buy anything on Credit, your phone will ring everyday for the next month with someone trying to sell you some service, mostly cellphone contracts.

I used to get hardly any cold calling sellers on my cell phone....fast forward to about a month after we signed up with a bank for a home loan and then the fun started! Endless calls for cars, phones, clothing accounts etc etc....if you think your data is safe with anyone think again....

please can someone explain why they need to know my education level, monthly income, designation at work etc etc etc

what a load of rubbish. it actually stopped me filling in the form and entering. i'd rather catch a late entry/substitution than be force to fill out this crap.

Agree. But if they force you to give info, give them garbage. Path of least resistance.

I know, sometime ago I found a huge pile of rubbish laying in the veld near my town....put on my plastic gloves (I carry these all the time since finding a ton of med waste in my area but this another story!) and dug around. Turns out it was from a very prestigious and expensive hotel in the area that had thrown out files and files worth of client info such as names, IDs, car regs, CC numbers, room and bar tabs etc etc...When I confronted them I was told it couldn't be as they shred all the documents and dispose of them the right way.....! And amazingly it wasn't a few weeks later that I found more crap laying about (some scruffies in my town) and again it was client info from a small self catering venue but again was full names with ID numbers, credit card details etc etc....

Are you referring to Mount Grace Hotel in Magalies ???

Agree. But if they force you to give info, give them garbage. Path of least resistance.

Yip, to the best of your knowledge you should be desperately poor, with no income, no assets, on a loaned bicycle, not owning the property you live in, not having any appliances and no cell phone and no internet. If it seems like there are connections to a census, no flushing toilet either.

Remember the 7 dependents and relying on social grants, and food stamps...

WITH 3 tin foil hats [emoji106][emoji6][emoji41]

Are you referring to Mount Grace Hotel in Magalies ???

I will name no names Sir!

But both venues were contacted, both cleaned up their 'crime scenes' and hopefully they will have learnt something and now have proper procedures and disposal methods of your identifiable info...Be it on paper or electronically, these guys have an obligation to look after our info. 

That's a simple business decision.

• reputational cost so far is small
  • cost to secure the data is large (money, but also time)

With that balance any CEO will only act after the fact.  If he or she acts before the act it's incurring a cost their competitors aren't, and the board and shareholders will (rightfully) complain that the company is less profitable than it could be.

I'm hopeful the GDPR and POPI will tilt the balance a bit.

Market research. 

Info sold to 3rd parties to better understand target markets and improve sales.

You beat me to it. 

Archived