Any good places in JHB for Bike Washes

Guest Ratchet road

Nothing, at all, or with paying a garden service. As long as you're not too good to do ot yourself... And as Coppi said, when a 20yr old does it, it just grates my cheese - that's kinda the years where you need to be learning life's lessons if I can put it like that.

Those are just my "things"...

But, back to the topic here, paying someone to wash your bike is just taking it a few steps to far in my books.

Utter nonsense, dressed up as "teaching values" and "learning lessons". 

We live in a modern society, and have divisions of labour.  It doesn't mean values and principles are lost - the teaching moments merely evolve and adapt in society.  Values and character building are not bound to lawn mowing and car washing. 

If people who have gardeners and use cash washes grind your gears, then maybe you should have a rethink.  Most people call this efficient.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Utter nonsense, dressed up as "teaching values" and "learning lessons".

We live in a modern society, and have divisions of labour. It doesn't mean values and principles are lost - the teaching moments merely evolve and adapt in society. Values and character building are not bound to lawn mowing and car washing.

If people who have gardeners and use cash washes grind your gears, then maybe you should have a rethink. Most people call this efficient.

Read my last post again, nothing wrong with it. In fact I explicitly said there is nothing wrong with it. What is wrong with it is if you have the "I'm too good to do it myself attitude". As I mentioned - those are my things (I'm sure there are lots of things I pay people to do that many others do themselves).

As long as everyone is taught those lessons in some way we're all good - for me that was washing the car and mowing the lawn on a Fri afternoon.

In my experience though, more often than not the 19/20yr olds that show up to a car wash in daddy's car do have the "I'm too good to do this myself" attitude - and that is wrong no matter how you look at it.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

I wash my lawn, how times have changed.

Panel beater can't fathom why I tried to mow my car

To much brandewyn and not enough tjoppies?

On topic: you have to love the hub, OP asks a reasonable question and receives lessons on life

I’ve known guys who lived in apartments that were not allowed to wash anything outside the apartment, so they simply washed their bike in the bath tub.

No, they were not married

I’ve known guys who lived in apartments that were not allowed to wash anything outside the apartment, so they simply washed their bike in the bath tub.

No, they were not married

I live in an apartment that doesn't allow washing outside! Most places we ride offer bike wash facilities after the ride except Thaba and Red barn. Not really a problem. I also don't live on the ground floor which is why I needed fake grass  :thumbup:

If someone can't pay R50 for a bike wash, they probably shouldn't be lecturing others on choices life.

It's not about affordability it's more about concept/principle

Just a thought - who washes the rider.

Also if you(I) forked out R50 even every 2nd ride that would add up to a pretty sum.

Btw Op has not been back since initial  post

Edited by porqui

Also if you(I) forked out R50 even every 2nd ride that would add up to a pretty sum.

Jip

Same as walking into a room, asking for Joe Masepus and walking away. Never to return.

I absolutely get your position, mine doesn't even contest that as being a valid point of view. I understand the principle, and I even support it in most cases.

But it also doesn't warrant a moral sense of superiority. So my comment was more a cheeky poke at those who think they are better than others because they wash their own bikes.

My argument is not about whether its a good thing or a bad thing, my argument is that if someone asks the Hub for a good Garden Service, we should get on his case and tell that real men mow their own lawns.

I absolutely get your position, mine doesn't even contest that as being a valid point of view. I understand the principle, and I even support it in most cases.

But it also doesn't warrant a moral sense of superiority. So my comment was more a cheeky poke at those who think they are better than others because they wash their own bikes.

My argument is not about whether its a good thing or a bad thing, my argument is that if someone asks the Hub for a good Garden Service, we should get on his case and tell that real men mow their own lawns.

I'll take it - since I assume most of the "life lessons" posts refered to were mine. True, if someone asks for advice just give it - no need to add a bunch of unrelated stuff to the post as well.

But... sometimes it's just so hard to resist hahaha! I mean, who doesn't wash and lube their own bike!?

Kinda (but not exactly) like when someone asks about bike X or Y and the hub reccommends bike A,B,C and D.

Anyway, I'll refrain from posting anything else because I'm clearly in the minority here.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

I'll take it - since I assume most of the "life lessons" posts refered to were mine. True, if someone asks for advice just give it - no need to add a bunch of unrelated stuff to the post as well.

But... sometimes it's just so hard to resist hahaha! I mean, who doesn't wash and lube their own bike!?

Kinda (but not exactly) like when someone asks about bike X or Y and the hub reccommends bike A,B,C and D.

Anyway, I'll refrain from posting anything else because I'm clearly in the minority here.

I know, and I'm guilty of it, especially when people start asking advice on financing bicycles. 

Also if you forked out R50 even every 2nd ride that would add up to a pretty sum.

Last year that would have cost me less than a case of beer... :wacko:  :blush:  :wacko:

Also when I see youngsters with Daddy bought cars at the car wash, boils my blood ! Effing lazy spoilt little shytes !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Work it out... R50 to have you car washed or spend 2 hours doing it yourself..... I know my time is far more valuable than R50 and spending two hours washing my car

Holy Sh%t Balls, you guys are judgemental!

I do not know the OP but picture this…. 

Someone studied and worked their ass off to get a good education and put in the long hours and hard work to become very successful in their career.  Now this person likes to ride is MTB on weekends and maybe a bit during the week as well.  But, he also has a family, wife and kids maybe, that does not share his love for cycling.  So, he needs to get back from his morning ride and spend some time with the family, then maybe a 30min nap before he picks up some after work reading on a certain project he is busy with at work.  Maybe this person spends some of his free time reading books and working on his soft skills necessary for being a good manager at work. 

Now do you think it is still sacrilege for a person, that works long hard hours during the week and spending the weekend with his family and upskilling himself in certain areas for even more success in the future, to save himself one hour of his free time on a weekend to spend R50 on a bike wash?

Not everybody is diehard MTB’er that does all their own MTB maintenance.  Some people just likes riding their bike and don’t mind spending R50 to get their bike washed.

Do you even think the OP will come back to the Hub after everybody here told him what a bad excuse for a human he is for not washing his own bike?

But that’s just the way I see it, I could be wrong……

Holy Sh%t Balls, you guys are judgemental!

I do not know the OP but picture this…. 

Someone studied and worked their ass off to get a good education and put in the long hours and hard work to become very successful in their career.  Now this person likes to ride is MTB on weekends and maybe a bit during the week as well.  But, he also has a family, wife and kids maybe, that does not share his love for cycling.  So, he needs to get back from his morning ride and spend some time with the family, then maybe a 30min nap before he picks up some after work reading on a certain project he is busy with at work.  Maybe this person spends some of his free time reading books and working on his soft skills necessary for being a good manager at work. 

Now do you think it is still sacrilege for a person, that works long hard hours during the week and spending the weekend with his family and upskilling himself in certain areas for even more success in the future, to save himself one hour of his free time on a weekend to spend R50 on a bike wash?

Not everybody is diehard MTB’er that does all their own MTB maintenance.  Some people just likes riding their bike and don’t mind spending R50 to get their bike washed.

Do you even think the OP will come back to the Hub after everybody here told him what a bad excuse for a human he is for not washing his own bike?

But that’s just the way I see it, I could be wrong……

This is why we buy sandwiches and dont make our own.

https://youtu.be/URvWSsAgtJE\