Mark Raubenheimer

Jacoo

Ok people, this guy has asked for it. I would not post his name and details if i didnt think this was serious, but it is.

About 3 weeks ago, bikehub profile "drivechain" messaged me about a lefty wheelset i have for sale. The ad is still active, feel free to look, the description is still the same as the day i posted. We then communicated over whatsapp and a few phone calls to where he sounded very trustworthy, and we agreed for me to send the wheels via cyclelab and that it would remain in their possession at the durban branch for him to inspect them, until i received payment where i give the go ahead.

When they received the wheels, that's when the excuses started pouring in. There are too many to list i can promise you that, but it started with the front wheel apparent not being true, but cyclelab charging a whopping R350 for trueing. He convinced me to have him take the wheels to a cheaper place. Second mistake (first being sending in the first place). After stalling with countless excuses for almost 3 weeks, i started to lose my patience and suspected a scam more and more. He has now blocked me from whatsapp and calls, and i cannot get hold of him. I really do think its him, and that hes not pretending to be someone else.

Only today did i check his reviews (3rd mistake) and i saw he already had a neg rating, the only one he had. Felt like it instantly confirmed my suspicions.

Like i said, check my ad, the front wheel had been repaired, fully disclosed of course, but thats among one of his excuses, he says the front wheel is unusable and the repair job was botched. I personally believe this is nonsense since the job was unbelievably professional.

I feel so frustrated being blocked, and as soon as i phone from another number and he hears its me he hangs up and blocks that too.

He really has deserved to have his name posted here. And if he replies to this i guarantee he will come with all his excuses too. Or he will hide away like he has been doing till now.

I will send our entire whatsapp chat to anyone who wants it, so you can see the chat from the very start and how he avoids any questions. Apologies for completely losing myself towards the end though.

What do i do? Anyone dealt with him before? His number is 0837901708

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So are you still in possession of the wheels?

Get the wheels back , right the time effort and monies used as school fees, then give him a bad review and move on.

You should of used the ratings in the first place. But it can happen to any of us, send him this link too, so we get his side of the story

First priority is to get your wheelset back. I'm assuming it's no longer at Cycle Lab, but at his shop of choice? Contact the shop directly and get them to ship it to you. Write off your costs till now and sell the wheelset. A bad rating is unfortunately your only recourse. The only thing about that is that if he is not an active hubber he will probably write off the profile and make a new one...

I've also learnt these things the hard way, so my general rule is that if I'm dealing with big ticket items I only trust hubbers with 5+ positive reviews or a high post count (well known hubber).

Another tip, if you are the seller you hold the cards, I simply do not ship without having received payment - if the buyer wants to inspect first they can do so in person or send someone else - if the seller is in Hoekaai and cannot inspect first then unfortunately the sale doesn't happen (which I understand from the buyers perspective too).

Nope he has them. I have used bikehub a LOT since i joined, and have started to trust people too easily i guess. First time this has ever happened to me, including even olx and so. The last i heard from him before blocking me was that he will buy the back wheel only since the front ones rim is unusable, (I believed this at the start, and was even very accommodating, but after all this i think the front wheel story was a lie.), and that he will pay on monday. Then blocked me literally 2 seconds after his single message, not giving me any chance to even respond. Hes not telling me how much hes paying, hes not telling me whats happening with the front wheel, nothing. I cant send him the link, im blocked. Feel free to send it to him. Will also send the whole chat ive got nothing to hide.

Before you tell me just wait till monday, this has now been maybe the 10th time hes saying he will pay. He doesnt answer any questions ever, and he simply wont answer why he cant pay me today or any other day for that matter. Guaranteed wont answer.

He unfortunately has them himself. I got too comfortable with how nice and trustworthy people are. I have now definitely learnt to check ratings, but i also feel user feedback isnt very common at least for me, and many other people also have either 0 or 1 rating but then they are great to deal with. After probably about 30 to 40 bikehub deals in the last year i have received only 1 review... Positive at least. But i never thought of reviewing myself so im not complaining, just saying not everyone has lots of ratings.

Nope he has them. I have used bikehub a LOT since i joined, and have started to trust people too easily i guess. First time this has ever happened to me, including even olx and so. The last i heard from him before blocking me was that he will buy the back wheel only since the front ones rim is unusable, (I believed this at the start, and was even very accommodating, but after all this i think the front wheel story was a lie.), and that he will pay on monday. Then blocked me literally 2 seconds after his single message, not giving me any chance to even respond. Hes not telling me how much hes paying, hes not telling me whats happening with the front wheel, nothing. I cant send him the link, im blocked. Feel free to send it to him. Will also send the whole chat ive got nothing to hide.

Before you tell me just wait till monday, this has now been maybe the 10th time hes saying he will pay. He doesnt answer any questions ever, and he simply wont answer why he cant pay me today or any other day for that matter. Guaranteed wont answer.

You can open a case against him, but to be honest that's going to cost a heck of alot amd probably won't be worth it. As much as it sucks to say this, I think this may be one of those school fees moments.

Report the number and e-mail address to the mods of BikeHub, and send them the communications so they can at least add him to the list of scammers.

He unfortunately has them himself. I got too comfortable with how nice and trustworthy people are. I have now definitely learnt to check ratings, but i also feel user feedback isnt very common at least for me, and many other people also have either 0 or 1 rating but then they are great to deal with. After probably about 30 to 40 bikehub deals in the last year i have received only 1 review... Positive at least. But i never thought of reviewing myself so im not complaining, just saying not everyone has lots of ratings.

True, but in those cases, money first; then you ship (not trying to rub things in your face at all here - I've had this experience before so I know how much it sucks - sent about 5k in parts to someone who dissapeared off the face of the planet).

On the ratings - best way to get ratings is to give them. When you rate someone you can do so as a seller, or buyer, so I try do so after most deals.

Didnt take it that way dont stress. I mean its on me, will happen sooner or later if you just trust everyone i guess.

Thanks, will do, i see you even got one just tonight!

Guys please just message him to grow a pair and unblock me so we can speak. I doubt that hes been using a "disposable" phone number. If he gets a few people messaging he might stress or something haha

Thanks Johan. If i ever find this guy... Hubber since 2014 though, thats whats so strange. Its like he doesn't do this often.

I trade on the hub often and i never release items without payment irrespective of what.

I also prefer to offer a full refund (provides the item is returned in the same state as it left) less any postage fee unless specified otherwise,this also applies to ads placed on behalf of friends. if they using my profile my rules apply.

I feel this way the seller is never at a loss and the buyer has some kinda protection.

Upon arrival of the goods should the buyer be unsatisfied about the condition or feels i failed to disclosed anything he/she has 48hours to notify me, its then his duty to post the item back to me and once recieved and inspected a refund will be issued.

I find this works best for both parties with at most only postage fees going to school fees.

:Looks like a common petty thief who was online at 19h30. admin should sticky this post

JohanLotter (user above) helped me out earlier by having a brief conversation with Mark before he was also blocked. He sent Mark the link to this topic, and it doesnt look like he has much of "his side" to share.

sorry i missed it, how did he get the wheelset? did you tell the bikeshop to release it to him without having received payment?