Cape Epic 2019

AllAboutRides

Well brakes were clearly locked in the middle of all the berms - is that where they should be used?

Well, if someone was going too fast, and the alternative was death, then yes - using the brakes seems a sensible solution...

Another consideration could be that you personally do not use brakes mid-berm, simply because you are going very slowly?

I think, however, that the reasons for the snide remarks in general are because every Cape weekend rider, who has not done the Epic, believe he has superior skills and sole use of his exclusive Cape trails...

#justathought

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if someone was going too fast, and the alternative was death, then yes - using the brakes seems a sensible solution...

Another consideration could be that you personally do not use brakes mid-berm, simply because you are going very slowly?

I think, however, that the reasons for the snide remarks in general are because every Cape weekend rider, who has not done the Epic, believe he has superior skills and sole use of his exclusive Cape trails...

#justathought

Yup

#justathought

- When braking , locking your wheels is pointless , most effective braking is done with the wheels rolling

-When entering A corner your speed should already be under control , so you don't HAVE to brake mid corner ( which is what grease monkey ment ) so that you can carry your speed through the corner and stamp on the pedals as soon as possible 

*at least thats how the pro's would do it ....and most people with decent skill

#justathought

My comments weren't meant to bash any epic riders. Simply an observation as to the conditions of the Helderberg trails after the epic and what I believe to be the cause of said conditions.

And no, I don't believe I have superior skills to anyone, also don't think I have sole right to trails. I'm actually all for the Epic passing through my home trails - in the long run that income from the epic goes back into the trails and most likely results in some new lines amd improvement to existing trails (or so I hope).

But always interesting (on the flipside of your comment) to see how some riders who have done the epic seems to think that only those who have done the epic are able to comment on anything epic related - even though at the core of it the epic, although a hell of a test of endurance, does not magically make trails somehow different and more special just on that day the epic riders ride on them.

Anyway, I'm not looking to get into a d**k measuring contest - was just commenting on the current state of the trails, which is quite horrible compared to two weeks ago.

*Oh and just an aside, I doubt anyone was facing death on the Helderberg descent. Brake before the corner, not in it.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Helderberg doesn't have trail builds.

They don't have to be chasing a medal, that volume of riders in summer will beat up most western cape trails. But winter wil come, it will rain again, the trail fairies will pass by and fix berms and in spring time we will have lekker trails again. Same happens to Jonkers after Origin of Trails every year. It seems the Simonsberg trail network is the only one impervious to this, those trails handle traffic well.

And as someone who has done Epic, I believe I may throw in my 5 Zimbabwean cents:

The Grease Monkey isn't wrong. At least two thirds of the people riding the epic have terrible skills and technique. Atrocious. Braking needs to be finished before a berm.

Fortunately they seem to realise their lack of skills and err on the side of caution.

But it is an old story. Many miles, but not enough trails in training.

And if you feel all touched on your studio about these remarks, than it is probably applicable to you.

true story, many Epic riders have terrible technique and little skill and no intention of ever improving that either. The attitude that completing the toughest MTB event in the universe is the passage to mtb immortality if pretty rife through the race village. Peacocks strutting their favourite bike brands colours. Out on the trail its just an emotional slog, time away from work at the company expense or a mates business sponsorship.

I'm not quite sure what to make of all of that

*which apparently everyone who has done the epic is...

Nope, I know some Epic finishers that still cant ride any technical stuff.

Riding for 8 days solid does not suddenly give you magical powers.

*which apparently everyone who has done the epic is...

It was me braking on the downhills .There i said it ! Stuff we learn in Gauteng .How to drive a car in traffic and not be a d$&s.And we use our brakes in the magaliesberg .Our rocks are sharper than yours!

It was me braking on the downhills .There i said it ! Stuff we learn in Gauteng .How to drive a car in traffic and not be a d$&s.And we use our brakes in the magaliesberg .Our rocks are sharper than yours!

Ha ha ha

Haha I never said don't brake on a downhill! But well played.