Light weight road tubes, worth it or not?

Guy du S

I have noticed that SA bike shops seem to only stock regular tubes. It seems like there are a lot more options available from international online vendors. Within the Continental range there are a few different specs. Some reviews have stated that the Continental Race 28 Supersonic is the cheapest and easiest way to reduce the total weight of a bike by 100g and, considering this weight is on the extremity of the wheels, it should make for a significant improvement in acceleration too. 

What are the pros and cons of lightweight tubes?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some say you get more punctures with lightweights and some say you will get punctures anyway and the tube will not matter.

Pros:

rolling resistance

weight

feel

Cons:

might be more puncture prone

marginal gains might not be worth the extra $$$

Not as widely available

I have used Michelin Latex tubes for going on 2 years without a single puncture. They weigh 65g each AND has the benefit of latex rolling resistance.

Things to consider:

Latex loses air so you will be pumping them back up frequently

I am considered a lightweight so heavier riders might have different experiences

Edited by s14phoenix

I have used Supersonic tubes in my weightweeny days. They are prone to damage during fitting so extra care should be taken. Otherwise the weight reduction is noticable plus the improvement in rolling resistance makes it worth it. I have moved to latex tubes for improved rolling resistance and these tubes are about 75gr vs 50gr for Supersonic. Still light enough for me.

Hope this helps.

Another option I have seen is www.tubolito.com these are supposed be 39gr per tube and offer increased puncture protection with low rolling resistance. Its made from a thermoplastic elastomer. This is a pricey option at 35 USD per tube.

Another option I have seen is www.tubolito.com these are supposed be 39gr per tube and offer increased puncture protection with low rolling resistance. Its made from a thermoplastic elastomer. This is a pricey option at 35 USD per tube.

And they need special super dooper puncture kit to repair WHEN they puncture - because they will at some stage.

if I can shave 150g (edit: for 2 tubes) off my bike for that price, ill buy them straight away! Racing wheels are racing wheels so if you puncture theres not much you can do in any case and how many times do one puncture in races? How else do you just lose 150g on a bike? new wheels + lighter seatpost + lighter handlebar + lighter saddle

Edited by avatar

if I can shave 150g (edit: for 2 tubes) off my bike for that price, ill buy them straight away! Racing wheels are racing wheels so if you puncture theres not much you can do in any case and how many times do one puncture in races? How else do you just lose 150g on a bike? new wheels + lighter seatpost + lighter handlebar + lighter saddle

Buying lighter goodies to save 150g can be pretty pricey. The thing with tubes is that you could end up buying and buying and buying... and when you stop, your bike puts on weight... whereas the wheels go on and stay on. as does the seatpost and saddle.

Thanks for all the responses... 

As usual, this has taken me down the Rabbit hole of more options and questions rather than clearing things up. What I have taken from this thread and some further research is the following...

Weight saving for 2x Race 28 Supersonic tubes vs normal race 28 Tubes is 110 g (Continental website). Price difference from CRC as an example for 2 tubes is R 178.00 (Comparing 60mm valve option).

Tubbies would cost approx. R15000 including 2 tyres for a saving of 530g.

So, there is a big weight saving to be made with tubbies, for a significantly higher price. Similarly for seat posts and handle bars and saddles, (although these weights are not rotating so the effect is perhaps less pronounced...?)

The value proposition for TuboLito Tubes is an interesting one since the puncture resistance is unquantified as yet. If they are as good as they claim to be, they could be worth it. Looking at CWC prices for Tubolito, they come in at about 3x the price of Race 28 Supersonic tubes from CRC (Estimated including Delivery and duties). So they basically need to last 3 times longer to make them worthwhile. (not taking the weight saving into account)

As for having a good crap... I can go lightweight on the tubes and still have a good crap... ;)

I buy Michelin Latex tubes from Chainreaction. I'll typically buy 6-10 at a time and use one tube for a year before relegating it to a spare tube for a year and then to a latex patch donor thereafter. Latex tubes can be fixed just like a butyl tube.

Latex tubes gives a ride like tubbies and the puncture resistance is better than butyl tubes. also when they do puncture they don't suddenly deflate but rather deflate slowly as latex has a self sealing property.

Yes sme people claim latex tubes suddenly explode but that shouldn't happen if there is enough talcum powder in the tyre and the rim tape is in good condition.

Those Tubolito tubes are also nice but yislike R500 a pop is a lot of money for a tube.

Latex tubes or tubbies. Butyl only if I cannot get any latex.

There is good scientific proof that the weight saving going to latex may not be as much as some other tubes but the rolling resistance and feel difference more than makes up for it and thus are then actually faster than superlight butyls.

Combined with a great set of tyres like Schwalbe One V-Guard (with which in close to 2 years I have not gotten any punctures) make for a very fast set of wheels that feel featherlight also.

and you should be prepared to pump them every 3 hours... no not that much but seriously these lightweight latex tubes loose air quick. back in my racing days i used them aswell and after a 8 hour ride i had lost 1 bar (from 9 to 8bar)

and you should be prepared to pump them every 3 hours... no not that much but seriously these lightweight latex tubes loose air quick. back in my racing days i used them aswell and after a 8 hour ride i had lost 1 bar (from 9 to 8bar)

Now days guys are riding bigger tires at 6 bar so the pressure loss will be less drastic won't it?

It is difficult to compare things even from as little as 2 years ago as the bike industry has shifted massively in terms of wheels/rims/tires and pressures.

I only used Latex tubes in my CX bike when I used to 'race it' race it in NZ and the UK. Nothing else was worth having.