Touring Joburg to Durban

Clamper

Hello Hubbers 

A bunch of us are looking to ride from Joburg to Durban with the aim of arriving at the starting line of the Amashova in PMB come Sunday 21 October 2019. 

Question is: 

Do any of you hubbers have a route map together with stop over locations you willing to share? 

Any help, suggestions will be appreciated..

Ciao

A

Any help, suggestions will be appreciated. 

ny help, suggestions will be appreciated. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Tjom...

Good point. 

Road

If anyone is keen on joining... always welcome. 

Edited by Clamper

Germiston Wheelers do exactly that each year. That also allows for a support vehicle if something unexpectedly happens.

You can ask Hubber Frosty for details if they are doing it again.

Germiston Wheelers do exactly that each year. That also allows for a support vehicle if something unexpectedly happens.

Yes we are. Setting off on the 18th at 5am from Germiston. 

Have done it before

We started in Vanderbijl- R57 from there to past Kestell

Then R712 East till just past Sterkfontein Dam.

From there R74 down Oliviershoek(all good tar now) until the R74 crosses the N3 where you jump on the R103 all the way to PMB.

We stopped half way to run from Royal Natal up to Mount Aux Sources and back, which is a good ad on/ detour option.

We over nighted at Amphitheater backpackers

My 2c, do it once, never again, boring AF. The freestate is not flat, false flats for day.

I’m learning to delegate, so Mecheng89 is organising the club tour this year.

* not hard to delegate, but when I enjoy doing it... it’s a little harder to let go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2c, do it once, never again, boring AF. The freestate is not flat, false flats for day.

Dude, something’s wrong if riding your bike is boring, no matter the terrain- just saying.

Dude, something’s wrong if riding your bike is boring, no matter the terrain- just saying.

Let me rephrase it then, I would far rather catch a flight to Bloem, jump on a mtb there and dirt road tour straight through Lesotho or go Aliwal-Lady Grey-Rhodes-Reverse R2R route through to pmb than do the route we did again...

Northcliff cycles also do this yearly...............chat to Alex Pavlov or check their website for details

Let me rephrase it then, I would far rather catch a flight to Bloem, jump on a mtb there and dirt road tour straight through Lesotho or go Aliwal-Lady Grey-Rhodes-Reverse R2R route through to pmb than do the route we did again...

We go from Germiston through Heidelberg, Balfour, Standerton to Volksrust (230km on day 1). With a prevailing tailwind and some friendly banter we have a jol... some racing on sections of the ride, as well as pacing a few having to suck wheel - a long day, and perhaps a boring view.

Day 2 is Volksrust, down the escarpment to Newcastle (N11) and then Ladysmith. 160km and plenty descents (and enough hills). A cool “recovery day” route.

Day 3 is Ladysmith to PMB via Colenso, Escourt and the R103 (175Km) - also plenty opportunity to race each other on sections of the route, including the hill climb up Griffiths Hill before lunch.

Day 4 at the Amashova - we drop down to the lowest seeded rider and all race/ride together. One fast group (A or B batch) and one/two slower groups if a few members are seeded higher up the alphabet. Not worried if the faster guys get away, we usually end up meeting a few hubbers happy to share the roads with us.

Being a club tour, it’s the social bit that keeps it enjoyable.

Have done it before

We started in Vanderbijl- R57 from there to past Kestell

Then R712 East till just past Sterkfontein Dam.

From there R74 down Oliviershoek(all good tar now) until the R74 crosses the N3 where you jump on the R103 all the way to PMB.

We stopped half way to run from Royal Natal up to Mount Aux Sources and back, which is a good ad on/ detour option.

We over nighted at Amphitheater backpackers

On Road bikes

Day 1 we rode from Houghton Estate to Reitz (about 220km), but you have to go early so you can get over the R59 to VDB before the cops get up  :ph34r:. Rationale was that If you're riding from Johannesburg to Durban then you shouldn't start in Vanderbijlpark.

Day 2 was Reitz to Kestell via Clarens and the Golden Gate park (about 170km). Really nice ride this part.

Day 3 was Kestell to Bergville. 120km easy day

Day 4 Bergville to PMB along the midlands meander.

As a road ride I enjoyed it. did it again the next year.

We have put together a team mainly from Cycle Lab in Fourways. We leave on the Wednesday prior to the race

Day 1 - Parys to Reitz

Day 2 - Reitz to Winterton via Kestell and Oliviershoek Pass

Day 3 - Winterton to Nottingham Road

Day 4 - Notties to Midmar and back via the Mandela Capture Site - recovery ride

Day 5 - Amashova

Do not attempt this ride without a vehicle and trailer that is capable of carrying all of you. Last year we rode into the most awful storm outside Mooi River that made conditions treacherous. There have been reports of hail storms and 70 km/h winds. Cater for the worst conditions and you'll be fine.

It is one of the best adventures of my life. If anyone finds the road past Sterkfontein to the Border Post and down Oliviershoek Pass boring, then I'm happy to be bored...

We also put a tour together.

Day 1 (Wednesday) - Sasolburg to Bethlehem

Day 2 - Stop over is just past Little Switzerland. Ride via Clarens (with a stop for pancakes) and Golden Gate

Day 3 - Stop over is Midlands Saddle & Trout (with a stop for lunch in Estcourt)

Day 4 - To Pmb (with a stop for milkshake en route)

Day 5 - Amashova

The group generally splits in two at some point (based on speed) with each group having a vehicle and trailer behind them. 

If anyone knows of a good spot we can stop for a decent bite between Sasolburg and Bethlehem let me know

Sounds like some pretty good tours organized by others! Keep it up folks. That's what makes cycling great. Being able to enjoy with others while getting fit, making it a bit competitive but keeping the core "fun" factor. 

• 1 year later...

digging up an old thread. Have always had thoughts of doing a tour like this. Have also been watching Trans Siberia tour whilst on the IDT and it prompted me to ask the question.

Aside from the logistics, which seems to me that if you're willing to join a group it can mostly be done for you, how does one go about preparing for this ?

I doubt that a weekend warrior doing 200-300km a month can just jump on a bike and do 100-200km a day for 3 to 4 days.