[Event] Fedhealth MTB Classic

PieterCamel

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoyed this event and I did the half marathon.

Riding through the sewerage works was not the greatest but the rest of the route was amazing.

Well done to everyone for such a well organized race.

Talk about sewerage, well, we did not have any - but did go through this really long culvert under Helshoogte. Pretty freaky and cool at the same time cause you just need to keep focused on the light on the other side. 

First time riding this event and really enjoyed it - i was watching the total ascent on my GPS which peaked at around 30km (900m) which left only around 350m of climbing for the remaining 27km which was nice and fast with plenty of pace opportunities. 

The climbing single track was quite congested (coming out of C batch), there was really not much you could do with limited overtaking opportunities on some of the switch backs.

My only crit about this event (and others following) is that i continue to campaign that E-Bikes do not belong - anyone who does not acknowledge the importance of psychology on an event like this is kidding themselves, but having a motorised bike cruising past ruins my enjoyment for at least 5min before i can fall back into my MTB-Meditation. Vent over.

Ill definitely do this one again next year. Eyes are on the 66km Tiletoria event (no Ebikes allowed  :clap: ) which is by comparison a beast of an event - The climb up the GLB only surpassed by the crazy technical rattling descent that follows.

Totally agree with you on the E-bikes, and please can we call them what they really are? They contain a motor (electric) but still a motor so they are motorbikes. 

Lady came cruising past on one. I was so *$^%ed by then anyway I couldn't care less.

If all e-bikes riders looked like her then I'm all for e-bikes. My spirits lifted and I found some extra zing.

yay for E-bikes

I got passed by at least 3 and did not bother me, but each to his own.

Think motorbike is still a stretch, while it does contain a motor, you are still required to pedal, it cannot "drive" on it's own.

At the same time, within in reason I would argue it is inclusion, there are people out there with physical disabilities that would be unable to MTB without the assist, pretty sure none of them passed me on the race, but still.

The class B e-bikes can more easily be classified as a motorbike as it has a top speed of 45, cant recall if that was mph or kph, but either way in EU and USA to ride those you actually require a motorcycle licence. Those have not yet been shipped to SA, the class A we have tops out at 25, but **** on a course like that, you looking at some serious pro speeds.

I can imagine the frustration for you though, being in batch C and getting passed by a rider who quite literally had a 20min time disadvantage on you.

There are some races allowing them, it is strange that a CSA race did as CSA does not allow this and any even organiser hosting a CSA sanctioned event assumes any and ALL responsibility for the e-Bikes and any accidents that they may have/cause. Those are not covered by CSA insurance.

The class B e-bikes can more easily be classified as a motorbike as it has a top speed of 45, cant recall if that was mph or kph, but either way in EU and USA to ride those you actually require a motorcycle licence. Those have not yet been shipped to SA, the class A we have tops out at 25, but **** on a course like that, you looking at some serious pro speeds.

The reality is that they are shipped to the shop with governors on, but almost the first thing the salesman does is tell you how easy it is to lift the governor which takes you to the 45km/h assistance and beyond in some cases.

25km/h cruising up Nik-Naks is enough though to make me wander just what these riders are achieving entering an event rather than using the same trails on another day when the mass that have gathered are pedal powered enthusiasts wanting to race each other.

If they are not fit, enter the shorter distance and go pedal powered, if they must use an ebike, ride another day among others of the same inclination.

Its this reason that all forms of competition are homologated. Next we will see these same people on segways/ninebots at the cape town marathon ....  :cursing:

Does anybody know when / where the results can be viewed (for us mere mortals that didn't finish among the top 10, that is!)