147 members have voted

1. 1. Which 1X option would you choose?

• SRAM GX Eagle
    • Shimano XT M8000

1 hour ago, Mtbiker404 said:

From my experience, for the best value for a performance setup

Brakes: Formula

Suspension: Rockshox

Cranks: XTR or Raceface (or equivalent to avoid a SRAM bb)

All other parts Shimano and/or Shimano compatible cassette.

I prefer Formula brakes over Shimano and SRAM. To me it has always seemed that SRAM is more pricey and more prone to issues than other brands (except for Rockshox which I think is not originally a SRAM company).

Edit: And I do not like the vertical play Shimano pedals, avoid it like the plague! I use Look pedals which is far superior to Shimano pedals.

SRAM is the origin company and it started out making a rear derailleur and Twist Shifter for commuter and road bikes. It brnached out to MTB when people where taking the twist shift and fitting them on kids bikes and MTB's

RockShox was acquired next along with Avid (Brakes and Rollamajig) Then came Truvativ, that held a patent for the GXP standard and ISIS. ZIPP was acquired shortly after.

Quarq, Hammerhead and TIME followed.

BB30 is not a SRAM invention or standard, it is a Cannondale owned patent that is open license. I.e anyone can use it under agreement with Cannondale.

I would not select an XTR or raceface crank over a SRAM crank. XTR has some separation issues and it uses a proprietary mounting interface that limits choice of brand of chainrings. RaceFace also has its own standard and the cranks do not have a good reputation for reliability or longevity.

Formula brakes 💯% definitely the best value for money when weighing performance, weight and cost. You can pick three.

Edited by DieselnDust

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used Shimano from the 90s until around 2010, then had some cheapish SRAM stuff, then cheapish Shimano (like SLX level) again, then XT, but I never could say that I genuinely felt one camp was superior.

Since 2015, I've been on SRAM for my MTB stuff. First XX1, then different generations of GX. Currently GX Lunar on the one bike and NX on the other. On my gravel bike I run GRX and I like the feel, but I don't think it's an apples-to-apples comparison because it's such a narrowly spaced cassette.

@MORNE I was thinking about ditching the NX for GX AXS, but now you have me thinking that I should maybe consider going XT again...

Edited by LazyTrailRider

4 minutes ago, LazyTrailRider said:

@MORNE I was thinking about ditching the NX for GX AXS, but now you have me thinking that I should maybe consider going XT again...

I edited my post regarding availability and the local distributor. That must have an impact on choice too.

As mentioned, the axs GX AXS is not bad. If its purely performance to cost though….XT everytime. It will feel nicer, work nicer and cost nicer😅

Edited by MORNE

In my experience Shimano has never let me down. I run a 1x11 XT shifter + derailleur on a SunRace cassette. I find the SunRace to be better comparable to the Shimano Cassettes. On the front I have a Sram (Sram dub BB) . Most people might frown upon this setup but this made a lot of sense to me from a simplicity & affordability point. Shifting is really smooth and seem to last well with regular cleaning and lubing between rides.

The Shimano derailleur setup tuning was simple enough that I could get it going without any hassles. On the front, Sram I have less worries about going smaller on the from chainring IfI want to.

It worked so well I built a similar setup for the laaitie. 1x10 setup. SRAM carbon crank (English thread GXP BB) , XT derailleur & Shifter. Paired With Sunrace cassette and 32T Lynne chainring. The smallest I could go wit h this crank on 104bcd which was originally a 2x crank. The only worthwhile upgrade here would be a
derailleur with a clutch.  

1 hour ago, LazyTrailRider said:

I used Shimano from the 90s until around 2010, then had some cheapish SRAM stuff, then cheapish Shimano (like SLX level) again, then XT, but I never could say that I genuinely felt one camp was superior.

Since 2015, I've been on SRAM for my MTB stuff. First XX1, then different generations of GX. Currently GX Lunar on the one bike and NX on the other. On my gravel bike I run GRX and I like the feel, but I don't think it's an apples-to-apples comparison because it's such a narrowly spaced cassette.

SRAM for MTB, Shimano for road.

The end.

Have ridden all of the things extensively, and this is my "pick a side and be a d*ck about it". I can back it up though:

SRAM MTB shifting feels way better for me than Shimano. Short lever throw and proper tactile feedback. Shimano just feels mushy and approximate by comparision.

I'd feel the same about their roadie stuff if it didn't upshift instead of just block a shift when you get to the end of your gears - nothing quite like reaching for that last gear on an 18% climb and it shifts you back down to the second cog when you've already used all you've got. Death. Even in the middle of the cassette it's much easier to shift the wrong way with Double Tap than Dual Control.

it depends if you want reliability shimano if you have money to spend sram.

on the high end GX or XT and up it is personal preference but if you go with shimano then use a sunrace cassette or a high range cassette.

18 minutes ago, droo said:

Short lever throw and proper tactile feedback. Shimano just feels mushy and approximate by comparision.

Again…not the case with AXS MTB shifter in my experience. It has the tactile feedback af a semi firm buttoned tv remote or a computer mouse…just a normal silicone bob on a pcboard under there for sure. And i borderline hate it. Yes it shifts as soon as you press the button, but im missing that mechanical feedback.

it’s like swopping a perfectly synchronised, meshed manual gearbox on a performance car for flappy paddle BS. There is no mechanical feedback. 

Leme throw a big spanner here 

I rode A bike with proper proper setup 11spd gears today ( not mentioning brand cause i think both were excellent) and it was fu****ng sublime.

Screw which ever brand , just 11spd its so nice ... it was used and shifted better than 12spd new outa the box ( okay maybe 3% better ) but jeeeeeez it just works 

Iooking for 11spd shimano stuff now for my bike until my 12spd gx is worn out , its not bad at all but its not crisp or quick or smooth.

11spd was wayyyyy tooo underrated imo

9 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

11spd was wayyyyy tooo underrated imo

For sure, and dirt cheap now in comparison to 12spd. Bike industry just cant help itself though.
i’d buy new tech, high-end 9 or 10spd stuff if they ever made some. Well Box does but i mean the two big S’s. Tell my why a trail bike needs 12spd? It needs 3. One to go fast, one in the middle for going down and one to go up very slow lol

Edited by MORNE

5 minutes ago, MORNE said:

For sure, and dirt cheap now in comparison to 12spd. Bike industry just cant help itself though.
i’d buy new tech, high-end 9 or 10spd stuff if they ever made some. Well Box does but i mean the two big S’s. Tell my why a trail bike needs 12spd? It needs 3. One to go fast, one in the middle for going down and one to go up very slow lol

I was very excited about BOX initially but they just seem to have fallen off the world 

Next one looking promising to me is TRP but they're invested in 7spd DH stuff now.

Yes! 11 speed for the win, both my bikes still have 11 speed Sunrace cassettes with XT shifting. My bike with the SRAM bb has gone through 3 bbs and my Shimano bb is still going strong. SRAM bb is also double the price. I know this might not be normal, I am sure SRAM bbs are supposed to last longer, but for me it looks like my SRAM bb is ending up costing 5 times more than the Shimano. I suspect it might be something similar for SRAM brake pads and servicing.

Edit: I am talking about the SRAM GXP bb, I read that it has a design flaw on the non-chainring side, this is also the side where my bbs are breaking. It just seems like Shimano is always the safer bet in terms of things like design flaws creeping through, then also SRAM is also very pricey :(

Edited by Mtbiker404

1 hour ago, droo said:

SRAM for MTB, Shimano for road.

The end.

Have ridden all of the things extensively, and this is my "pick a side and be a d*ck about it". I can back it up though:

SRAM MTB shifting feels way better for me than Shimano. Short lever throw and proper tactile feedback. Shimano just feels mushy and approximate by comparision.

I'd feel the same about their roadie stuff if it didn't upshift instead of just block a shift when you get to the end of your gears - nothing quite like reaching for that last gear on an 18% climb and it shifts you back down to the second cog when you've already used all you've got. Death. Even in the middle of the cassette it's much easier to shift the wrong way with Double Tap than Dual Control.

^this.

I dislike the lever feel of shimano and think it is super sloppy and there is no resistance or nice 'click' when it changes a gear. I can't speak for road, but I have ridden slx, xt, deore, xtr and from SRAM, NX, GX, X01, XX1. Sram feels (and looks) awesome and the ergonomics of the shifter are amazing compared to shimano. Little things like the shape and throw of the lever that takes you down the cassette make all the difference. 

Ok I will bite.....I have both 12spd XT and 12spd XX1(Mech)

I honestly cant say anyone is better as they both function brilliantly...But there is just something about the XT shifting that I like more I cant say what it is as they both shift flawlessly.

So if i where forced to choose one I would say XT and I honestly do not know why

The XX1 does ad a "Bling" lok which is nice

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

it’s like swopping a perfectly synchronised, meshed manual gearbox on a performance car for flappy paddle BS. There is no mechanical feedback. 

Afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you on this.

Manual gearboxes seem silly once you've owned a proper performance dual-clutch.

3 minutes ago, LazyTrailRider said:

Afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you on this.

Manual gearboxes seem silly once you've owned a proper performance dual-clutch.

I guess it all depends. My dad is a purist and would have nothing other than a manual in his fun car, but the daily driver has a dual clutch. It comes down to what you prefer, manual for fun, dual clutch for pretty much everything else.