Rock Guy

Which 1X option?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which 1X option would you choose?

• SRAM GX Eagle
    • Shimano XT M8000

11 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Leme throw a big spanner here 

I rode A bike with proper proper setup 11spd gears today ( not mentioning brand cause i think both were excellent) and it was fu****ng sublime.

Screw which ever brand , just 11spd its so nice ... it was used and shifted better than 12spd new outa the box ( okay maybe 3% better ) but jeeeeeez it just works 

Iooking for 11spd shimano stuff now for my bike until my 12spd gx is worn out , its not bad at all but its not crisp or quick or smooth.

11spd was wayyyyy tooo underrated imo

I have a 11 spd NX setup on my bike. I don't mind it but I wish I could get away with converting my bike to a SS. The shifting works but it is not lekker. I had 11spd XT at a stage and it also did not feel good, was also often jumping and skipping. That's why I went over to SS, was nice and simple. I'm not having a dig at 11 spd, just gears in general.
I'm now looking at the GX AXS just because the gears and the amount of cables are irritating me. Seems like the gears might still be an issue but then at least the bike will look a bit more tidy.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny how different people are in terms of what they prefer for feel, as others, I dont really have a preference on drivetrains, but there are things about brand that I like more than the other, SRAM looks nicer, and that little lockout button on the RD is awesome when taking the wheel off, but the none serviceable/replaceable/adjustable clutch sucks, and the shifter looks nicer than the Shimano, however I prefer the feel and dual release thing on Shimano (MTB) shifters and the fact that the RD clutch is serviceable/replaceable/adjustable, BUT the way the RD sounds like it is running through a pulverizer if it gets a TINY bit of water/mud on it, that irritates me

Ive been on SRAM for 10 years now, 10spd, 11 and 12. 11 spd was the sweet spot for me. ja the 50t is nice bail out but the shifting quality took a dip in my opinion. 

In process of converting my scooter now to 10 spd Shimano Deore. 11-36 casette with the new Deore derailleur and 2nd hand SLX shifters. All in costs way less than a new GX casette alone.  

As you say Chad, that lock out button on the SRAM is a really nice feature that I'll miss. But Im keen to see how the Shimano 10spd holds out. 

1 hour ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Funny how different people are in terms of what they prefer for feel, as others, I dont really have a preference on drivetrains, but there are things about brand that I like more than the other, SRAM looks nicer, and that little lockout button on the RD is awesome when taking the wheel off, but the none serviceable/replaceable/adjustable clutch sucks, and the shifter looks nicer than the Shimano, however I prefer the feel and dual release thing on Shimano (MTB) shifters and the fact that the RD clutch is serviceable/replaceable/adjustable, BUT the way the RD sounds like it is running through a pulverizer if it gets a TINY bit of water/mud on it, that irritates me

TRUE that ... ^^^

That lockout pin on the SRAM is LOVELY when removing wheels  (sad how many dont know it exists, but thats a different story)

The loud ratchet sound on a new GX .... just love it.

The finicky tweaking of a GX .... DONT miss it !!!!

1x11 Shimano is serving us very well on 4 bikes for the last few years.  The only shifting issue we have had was traced to a sticky cable.

For day to day use and reliability I  LOVE Shimano, and the 1x11.  Each time I remove a rear wheel I miss the SRAM lockout pin.

22 minutes ago, Kuys said:

Ive been on SRAM for 10 years now, 10spd, 11 and 12. 11 spd was the sweet spot for me. ja the 50t is nice bail out but the shifting quality took a dip in my opinion. 

In process of converting my scooter now to 10 spd Shimano Deore. 11-36 casette with the new Deore derailleur and 2nd hand SLX shifters. All in costs way less than a new GX casette alone.  

As you say Chad, that lock out button on the SRAM is a really nice feature that I'll miss. But Im keen to see how the Shimano 10spd holds out. 

With the correct long cage derailure you can run an 11-50 on 1x11.  Been doing so for 2 years with no issues.

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

With the correct long cage derailure you can run an 11-50 on 1x11.  Been doing so for 2 years with no issues.

That new Deore 5100 is 11 speed, fits shimano HG freehub and is 11-51.  And is cheaper than 2x proper mtb tires and a tubeless setup 😅

69BB5F3D-24DC-4D85-994B-9B58700FF626.jpeg

E269416D-9B27-457A-BF4D-A4F26B201D02.jpeg

4DFAFA35-5AB8-4177-A960-C68E46A2D224.jpeg

Edited by MORNE

I'm blown away by how well the Deore shifts and performs. Only change I would make is the shifter to get the multi-downshifts. 

I would fit Deore to my Evil with zero shame. (just not the brakes)

Edited by Steady Spin

Which shop offers this M5100 at these prices?

13 minutes ago, MORNE said:

That new Deore 5100 is 11 speed, fits shimano HG freehub and is 11-51.  And is cheaper than 2x proper mtb tires and a tubeless setup 😅

14 hours ago, LazyTrailRider said:

Afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you on this.

Manual gearboxes seem silly once you've owned a proper performance dual-clutch.

13 hours ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

I guess it all depends. My dad is a purist and would have nothing other than a manual in his fun car, but the daily driver has a dual clutch. It comes down to what you prefer, manual for fun, dual clutch for pretty much everything else.

OT but:

So silly, Koenigsegg just developed a new one for the purists 😊. It mimics the feel and feedback of a mechanical/manual transmission.

”the feel of a manual transmission with the convenience of auto”. 
pfft…2 clutches, this has 7😅

pretty cool stuff:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1137063_deep-dive-how-koenigsegg-reinvented-the-manual-transmission-for-the-cc850

Edited by MORNE

For me you can't beat the Shimano XT shifter, 11 and 12 speed. Coupled with an XT Derailleur, it shifts precisely and the added benefit of the multi shift up and down is great. We have one bike with an SLX shifter and it just doesn't compare with the XT.

Cassettes we have XT, SLX on the 12 speeds, only really a weight difference.

On the 11 speeds we have XT and Sunrace, Sunrace has the better spacing and works well with the XT components.

I am not a SRAM fan, clearly. They seem to be quite "finniky".

I changed from XTR to GX AXS only becuase I wanted to be the cool kid on the block and so far, I'm happy with the choice. 

I guess its all about how you look after your gear - regardless of what gear it is. And there is no excuse for a battery going flat during a ride either - to me that is pure rider error and unforgiveable

But we do have good back up in complete SLX and XTR trains in case the GX AXS decides to have a wobble. 

So back to xt or gx? I'd go with XT all the way but with an XTR shifter

Here endith the confusion post on different gear

1 minute ago, MORNE said:

OT but:

So silly, Koenigsegg just developed a new one for the purists 😊. It mimics the feel and feedback of a mechanical/manual transmission.

”the feel of a manual transmission with the convenience of auto”. 

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1137063_deep-dive-how-koenigsegg-reinvented-the-manual-transmission-for-the-cc850

I'm very familiar with Christian's explanation of this, but here's the thing: this transmission exists purely to serve sentimentality and nostalgia.

The reality is that the fact that we need gears to start off with is problematic, and gearboxes exist as clunky (pardon the pun) solutions to this problem. The fact that manual transmissions became associated with "the joy of driving" is quite amusing, and I suspect will in 50 years be seen in the same way that we'll think it's strange that for a century us humans came to associate loud internal combustion noises with performance.

4 minutes ago, LazyTrailRider said:

I'm very familiar with Christian's explanation of this, but here's the thing: this transmission exists purely to serve sentimentality and nostalgia.

The reality is that the fact that we need gears to start off with is problematic, and gearboxes exist as clunky (pardon the pun) solutions to this problem. The fact that manual transmissions became associated with "the joy of driving" is quite amusing, and I suspect will in 50 years be seen in the same way that we'll think it's strange that for a century us humans came to associate loud internal combustion noises with performance.

GT3 RS is available as a 6speed manual isn't it?  There is nothing quite as lovely to use as a slick short throw gear lever and 6 speed box. I still miss mine and the days when F1 drivers had to take their hands off a tiny wheel to shift gear. 🙂 

20 minutes ago, 117 said:

I changed from XTR to GX AXS only becuase I wanted to be the cool kid on the block and so far, I'm happy with the choice. 

I guess its all about how you look after your gear - regardless of what gear it is. And there is no excuse for a battery going flat during a ride either - to me that is pure rider error and unforgiveable

But we do have good back up in complete SLX and XTR trains in case the GX AXS decides to have a wobble. 

So back to xt or gx? I'd go with XT all the way but with an XTR shifter

Here endith the confusion post on different gear

I swapped to GX AXS after a thumb injury left me not being able to shift gears. it's nice to shift at the touch of a button, but oddly, from time to time, the #9 cog goes out of alignment and I have to do a micro adjust. then it may be fine for 10 rides, then flips its beans again for a few rides in a row.

I'd ride SLX if my thumb worked properly....

46 minutes ago, MORNE said:

That is such keen pricing compared to anything SRAM. The only negative is the shifter I think but then if you're used to GX or indeed any SRAM bar AXS the one shift per push to a higher gear won't feel like a problem. I think the best option would be an XT shifter paired with Deore everything else.