Football

IceCreamMan

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Received this on a WA group.

Haven’t laughed this hard since “I would 8-2 be an Arsenal supporter” meme in August 2011.

d8279d5f788ddf040c33c10508b21a18.jpg

I found 1 hiding in a VILLA last night at something 2-7

Read an interesting article last night on Liverpools blip... quite likely down to fatigue, obviously not aided by the huge hole left by van Dijk. They have 5-6 players in the top 10 for the most minutes in the premier league over the last 3 seasons... add in two champions league final runs, that crazy battle with City the season before they won, and they're rightfully out on their feet. They don't have nearly the depth of City, but City also were well off the pace last year.

We all know how hard it is for a team to defend a title these days, and Liverpool on paper put together pretty much two seasons worthy of winning a title... this 3rd season is rightfully a bridge too far.

Still think themselves and City and in a different league... Liverpool just need some freshening up, but the basic structure of that team is still pretty incredible, they just have a few too many players not quite at the races. 

And as for Jose... at least we attacked on the weekend. Kane obviously always changes things, so great to have him back, but still just sitting and waiting for the next horror show.

Hopefully he is learning, but there is a part of me that believes he is too stubborn and set in his old ways. 

Read an interesting article last night on Liverpools blip... quite likely down to fatigue, obviously not aided by the huge hole left by van Dijk. They have 5-6 players in the top 10 for the most minutes in the premier league over the last 3 seasons... add in two champions league final runs, that crazy battle with City the season before they won, and they're rightfully out on their feet. They don't have nearly the depth of City, but City also were well off the pace last year.

We all know how hard it is for a team to defend a title these days, and Liverpool on paper put together pretty much two seasons worthy of winning a title... this 3rd season is rightfully a bridge too far.

Still think themselves and City and in a different league... Liverpool just need some freshening up, but the basic structure of that team is still pretty incredible, they just have a few too many players not quite at the races. 

And as for Jose... at least we attacked on the weekend. Kane obviously always changes things, so great to have him back, but still just sitting and waiting for the next horror show.

Hopefully he is learning, but there is a part of me that believes he is too stubborn and set in his old ways. 

I've been saying to mates for a while that Liverpools high paced style of play combined with the fact that they play a very high defensive line too which means basically defending from the front, Would catch up to them in the long run and it has now caught up to them. Adding to the fact that last season ended so late due to Covid and this season started without much of a break at all for the players and no real proper pre-season coupled with being in "bio bubbles", the fatigue levels must have eventually taken it's toll. Also I don't feel that Pool have much of a succession plan in terms of squad depth, because you have the front 3 in Salah, Mane and Booby and then they had a great new recruit in Jota who looked to be the buy of the season, But nothing more than that really. Yes you gave a guy like Shaquiri on the bench but he's hardly going to single handedly influence a game like the front 3. Then to the back, Yes Fabinho was a great filler in the beginning, but he isn't a full season type CB in the best league in the world and is being found on occassion.

SO yeah, if I look back at United and City for example who were able to defend their titles, they had more squad depth, better quality off the bench and were able to rest players and rotate their squad.

I've been saying to mates for a while that Liverpools high paced style of play combined with the fact that they play a very high defensive line too which means basically defending from the front, Would catch up to them in the long run and it has now caught up to them. Adding to the fact that last season ended so late due to Covid and this season started without much of a break at all for the players and no real proper pre-season coupled with being in "bio bubbles", the fatigue levels must have eventually taken it's toll. Also I don't feel that Pool have much of a succession plan in terms of squad depth, because you have the front 3 in Salah, Mane and Booby and then they had a great new recruit in Jota who looked to be the buy of the season, But nothing more than that really. Yes you gave a guy like Shaquiri on the bench but he's hardly going to single handedly influence a game like the front 3. Then to the back, Yes Fabinho was a great filler in the beginning, but he isn't a full season type CB in the best league in the world and is being found on occassion.

SO yeah, if I look back at United and City for example who were able to defend their titles, they had more squad depth, better quality off the bench and were able to rest players and rotate their squad.

You also have to change.They work you out

Game and team management during a very congested period like we see this season is key... Klopp seems not have been doing that too well... You can not play the high intensity tactic game after game when you are playing every couple of days.

You also have to change.They work you out

His unwillingness to change his approach to games has cost them quite dearly before and as I noted with so many games in quick succession he will find himself with more issues as we enter the crucial part of the season.

Eg last night Juve had to play Inter in the second leg of the coppa game (at home). We have 4 important games coming up in the next week and a bit and had also just played a very busy Roma team the weekend. ..we went into the game with a 2-1 aggregate lead. It was not up to us to chase the game. It was clear with Pirlo's starting lineup what the plan was... Let Inter run themselves ragged and just soak it all up... Key of course is we have the defensive qualities to be able to rotate the squad with 4 exceptionally good CBs to choose from and very adaptable midfield players.... Quality in depth.

End of the day... Inter found themselves up against a wall, there was just nowhere in for them.. Job done.. Final secured and energy saved...

Sometimes you have to look at the big picture and find a way to secure the result and it doesn't matter how you get the result.

Agreed, I sense a bit of "arrogance" on Klopps part by refusing to change his formation and style of play against "lower" opposition. The job he's done to turn the club around has been fantastic I'll give him that but his player and squad management and refusing to buy another top class CB when Van Dijk got injured and play other class players out of position has cost them dearly this season.

A great coach I once had always used to say before games with lower opposition on terrible fields and bad conditions which were seen as a "leveller" - "There are no pictures on the scoreboard or on the log at the end of the season, I don't care if its ugly, Just get the job done"

Agreed, I sense a bit of "arrogance" on Klopps part by refusing to change his formation and style of play against "lower" opposition. The job he's done to turn the club around has been fantastic I'll give him that but his player and squad management and refusing to buy another top class CB when Van Dijk got injured and play other class players out of position has cost them dearly this season.

Not even just against lower opposition.. Sometimes depending on the schedule and opposing team's strength and their coach's tactic abilities you have to adjust. Edited by Gen

have the other 2 games came to a decision already?

sense a few more or these happening throughout the knockout stages

No idea about the rest sorry

Lekker story about WRyan Reynolds and his buddy WRob McElhenney buying Wrexham for just under 2M quid.

I really am not one for Autobiographies esp athlete's but man I finally read Pirlo's "I think therefore I Play" (yes I know it's already an old book)

I laughed so much with some of the not too serious bits.. The bit about Alessandro Matri had me in stitches .

It's an easy read and a glimpse into the man that it Pirlo... Pure class

Edited by Gen

I'm just here for the Tottenham okes.

PS. That was a lovely game for the neutrals

Had to follow the commentary on my phone as we had load shedding... but sounded a cracker. 

Really not the end of the world, would way rather focus on the other two cups and our league form a bit...

Will watch the highlights tonight. Our defense is a bit off though... hopefully we can find a bit of balance between parking the bus and throwing down the kitchen sink