My 1st 947

CoachShane

There is the Gravel grinder event at Van Gaalens this weekend .Do the shorter one to the top of breed,s and also try and do the Bestmed road race before 94,7.You will know what to expect afterwards 

Edited by Blitzer

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to do it comfortably, train hills and do a few longer rides. If you're going for survival, just pitch up.

I did it last year, also my first, with about 3 months of training. During this time I did a few 60km rides, 1 x 80km ride, and my standard training was about 5 km hill intervals 3 times a week, I have a loverly 1km climb from outside our estate. 

Tips:

1) Be there early, traffic getting in sucks!!

2) Use and carry enough sunscreen!!

3) 2 x water bottles is enough, there's a waterpoint every few km's so you can fill up everywhere.

4) Carry spares incl a few bombs, patches/plug, some sealant and a few masterlinks. It's a very expensive race not to finish due to a technical. 

Edited by Letum911

To add. Stay away from the tequila stop, or have a crapload. It's crappy doing Malibongwe half buzzed!

You will find many willing to donate a beer to your charity in that last stretch - make sure you ride for a charity... it helps

:ph34r: Not that I condone drinking and riding or have done anything of the sort ever.

AND whatever you do, no matter how tired you are... Help push an ice cream bike - it is the right thing to do and the guys will be eternally grateful.

Edited by s14phoenix

everything that they said, except for the slicks on your MTB...

an MTB should never suffer that level of humiliation

You usually learn this one of two ways- either you get insulted and made aware of it, or you try and corner like you would off road and get some roasties :ph34r:

everything that they said, except for the slicks on your MTB...

an MTB should never suffer that level of humiliation

Indeed :)

post-57330-0-86972700-1534771397_thumb.jpg

If you are in the East Rand or willing to travel a bit give me a shout, you are welcome to join us for a group ride.  We are not a massive group but at least we are fairly experienced (albeit a bit slow) and we can give some advice on the road.

Forgot to mention, leave your credit card at home when you go to the expo to collect your number.

Safest is to not even go to the Expo, I have been lucky enough to have someone collect it for me the past 3 years. Not worth the mission to drive through from PTA to collect an envelope...

Make sure your bike is in good working condition!

In my case a 30+ year old steel road bike.

I shall do my first 94.7 as well. My wife decided it would be great for me to do this.. apparently a rite of passage if you are said to be a cyclist.

Luckily I'm not a real cyclist.

In my case a 30+ year old steel road bike.

I shall do my first 94.7 as well. My wife decided it would be great for me to do this.. apparently a rite of passage if you are said to be a cyclist.

Luckily I'm not a real cyclist.

Last year I did it on a 30yo plus Raleigh Bomber and had the time of my life, I might just do another Beer run.

some good info here for me too, its also my 1st time this year. i did the winter fast one a few weeks ago and i was finished after that, so now i am a bit scared for the 947. Did the cradle over the weekend but only one loop. will try suikerbos as indicated above.

Wow, its like reading my own post.

Also only got into MTB start of July. Did the 40km WFO, also entered into the 947. I'm probably going to be doing it on my MTB, knobbies and all. I was convinced (suckered?) into it as WorldNet is sponsoring a colleague and I to ride in their team as a marketing schpiel. At least its free and I get to start at 07:30.

What I'm going to do with lycra WorldNet kit afterwards heaven only knows. 

I'm trying to get myself as prepared as possible for the 947 though. Doing some races in between (55km Garmin at BRB this Saturday) and setting myself some intermediate goals (do a 3hr ride before the end of this month, 4hr in September, 5hr in October, all at 50-70% constant effort).

Good info above though!

Edited by TyronLab