Canyon Aeroad - Read if you planning on purchasing one

button

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mystery solved! Now we know why Zakarin from Katusha is so bad on the downhill and does not go into a tuck... His frame will break...

in all seriousness, i think he rides and Ultimate

My best guess is they're core strentgh somehow lets them rest their bodies more while being so low 

I just find it stupid to put yourself in A position with that little control 

Not being facetious here, but I tried the hands adjacent to each other over the crown this morning and my descents were definitely faster and power output lasted somewhat longer. This is going to be fun!

should probably add it was on the mtb

Edited by Dirkitech

Not being facetious here, but I tried the hands adjacent to each other over the crown this morning and my descents were definitely faster and power output lasted somewhat longer. This is going to be fun!

On the road?

I've tried this on my MTB on the road into a strong south easter.  It definitely helps the aero, but the loss of control is huge.  For me I wouldn't ever try this anywhere but on the flat back road I was on doing my 13km/h into the wind. 

At least with an aero tuck on the road bike your hands are still on the controls.

in all seriousness, i think he rides and Ultimate

It would be funny if Canyon tells us the Ultimate is the model where you are allowed to sit on the top tube and the Aeroad is not.

I wasn't serious about Zakarin, just remebered him getting stick on the forum for sitting up on the downhill. Might be demons from his 2016 crash.

It would be funny if Canyon tells us the Ultimate is the model where you are allowed to sit on the top tube and the Aeroad is not.

I wasn't serious about Zakarin, just remebered him getting stick on the forum for sitting up on the downhill. Might be demons from his 2016 crash.

he's a notoriously bad descender. IIRC he had eyesight problems too. can't have been much fun for him. and then to have that bad crash on the Giro stage.

MTB Fork gripping needs it's own thread.

But it is the Supertuck of MTB'ing.

Hasn't this become the "stupid riding positions" thread?

I was once shafted by a bike manufacturer. Head tube cracked and I had to send them the head tube with part of the top and down tubes and the bb shell. I went bos with the angle grinder and sent the requested sections to them only for them to turn around and tell me they can't warranty the frame because I could have cracked the frame while destroying it. Nice little Italian company building bikes for a British brand. The shop was so ashamed they replaced my frame and covered the shipping.

Still I won't buy a bike from that manufacturer again.  In the OP's case Canyon replaced 2 frames.... That says a lot. So they definitely honored the warranty.

Can't keep giving away new frames if the end user is abusing it.

Would Basso honor warranty fro TT sitting?

I regularly ride on the top tube, I sit sideways on the top tube casually as most do at a coffee stop or pre race start or whatever.... I'm over 80kg. I ride a bike pretty hard. I have never had an issue of a top tube cracking, let alone three times in the same area regardless, and thats on numerous bike brands... if this bike manufacturer makes a paper thin top tube for whatever reason I don't think that it would be safe to ride even when sitting on it properly. The torsional and directional forces that go though bike in certain types of impacts with potholes, speed bumps etc can be instantaneously huge, we (all cyclists) also bunny hop things like speed bumps, potholes and dodge glass when seen at the last minute... I would hate a massive failure of a pretty large portion of the bike to just give way in an emergency stop.

Do I think Canyon should warrantee the frame after being sat on improperly: No

Do I think it shouldn't have broken in the first place: Yes

FYI I have also seen them outright refuse a blatant warranty case (1st claim) under the BB area on the basis that "our frames are made very strong and they can't crack there" 

On the road?

yes, always, mtb on the road- almost done with a project for my roadie alter ego, then I can supertuck on that one too!

I've tried this on my MTB on the road into a strong south easter.  It definitely helps the aero, but the loss of control is huge.  For me I wouldn't ever try this anywhere but on the flat back road I was on doing my 13km/h into the wind. 

At least with an aero tuck on the road bike your hands are still on the controls.

That's a good point! To be honest, I didn't notice a lot of control issues, even held the position over 2 speed bumps, but maybe its thanks to the 26" wheels? Hmm, shouldn't that make it worse? I never thought of tucking on the mtb before but now it has me beguiled!

yes, always, mtb on the road- almost done with a project for my roadie alter ego, then I can supertuck on that one too!

That's a good point! To be honest, I didn't notice a lot of control issues, even held the position over 2 speed bumps, but maybe its thanks to the 26" wheels? Hmm, shouldn't that make it worse? I never thought of tucking on the mtb before but now it has me beguiled!

Would you believe a South African company had this figured out without the benefit of the Win Tunnel?

READERS-CHOICE-2-copy.jpg