Aluminum hardtail - can this be fixed safely?

Dust46

Good evening Hubbers,

So I was working on my bike this evening when I saw my frame is cracked (read broken). It is pretty much broken through where the seat tube and top tube meet. Obviously there is already a weld there, my question is can this be repaired safely? If it can be, who would be the best to do such a job?

Any suggestions are welcome.

post-41253-0-79799400-1535484333_thumb.jpg

post-41253-0-49027600-1535484347_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dust46

Guest Ratchet road

What brand? And how? Usually warranty from producer depending on the scenario

It is a Momsen but a 2014 model so I'm pretty sure it is out of any warranty. Im not sure how it happened, I did the Garmin MTB classic this past weekend and was changing my brake pads this evening when I noticed the damage.

What is your location?

You would need to take that to expert at alu welding.

Would need heat treatment afterwards I think.

Some warranties are lifetime if you are the original buyer.

1st stop would be to go back to the dealer.

Looks pretty terminal though.

If you bought it new, then try your luck with Momsen its only 4 years old so not that far gone...

Other than that, it's probably not worth the cost and risk of repair. Aluminum welding repairs will be almost impossible to get right and normally, because of the heat associated and how it affects the structure of the metal, will jsit break right next to the weld... And as its in a high stress area you're just going to be waiting for the next crack... Used good considiton hardtail frames can be had for little money if you don't come right with Momsen, so that would be my recommendation, replace in both cases.

yep looks fairly kaput! wonder how and why it went kaboom.

I would love to know, the frame has served me well so it's strange how this happened.

If you bought it new, then try your luck with Momsen its only 4 years old so not that far gone...

Other than that, it's probably not worth the cost and risk of repair. Aluminum welding repairs will be almost impossible to get right and normally, because of the heat associated and how it affects the structure of the metal, will jsit break right next to the weld... And as its in a high stress area you're just going to be waiting for the next crack... Used good considiton hardtail frames can be had for little money if you don't come right with Momsen, so that would be my recommendation, replace in both cases.

Unfortunately I bought it second hand, I have been looking in the classifieds for a frame and as you mentioned there are some fairly cheap replacement frames available. I will probably go that route.

Yes it can be repaired and I have done many in a similar state, some worse.

I will send you a pm to discuss, thank you.

Are mountain bikers aerotucking as well now?

Hahaha luckily this is not my 3rd replacement frame and it is fairly well used, there is absolutely nothing negative I can say about the Momsen brand. Is it Friday yet?

You'll need to find someone with the right equipment (read pre and post heating facilities) if you want to have that fixed.

I highly doubt Momsen would have a custom Aluminium alloy made for their comparatively low volumes, so you should be able to get the alloy grade from them and related welding procedure. This should contain the recommended pre and post heating procedures, recommended electrodes etc. You should give that through to your chosen repairer as well. If he doesn't ask for it or show you that he already has the material spec I would stay away. All aluminum is not created equally.

How often do you inspect your frame? A failure like that would be one of two things:

1. (Unlikely) there was a massive impact on your seatpost/saddle in the rearward direction and it fractured in one go. I'm pretty sure you would feel whatever body part it hit for a few days afterwards.

2. There was a slight impact some time ago that caused the weld toe to crack, and due to not being picked up the crack propagated through to parent material. If this was picked up right after initiation the simplicity and robustness of the repair would be substantially better.

But hey, what do I know, I'm just a Mechanical Engineer.