International parcels good news - we hope!

Psyrax

I'm trying to get a Africa-Denmark import business up and running and this kind of inefficiency makes it tough. Sure my little business is a drop in the ocean but imagine how much business/money/FDI South Africa has lost because people give up rather than jumping through the endlessly inefficient cycles that is African business.

Momsen agency? LOL

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem with this service is that its a one pay one parcel setup. I mailed them about it. Most of us here often order multiple things from China. I asked if they couldn't "keep items back" until I tell them to release everything to me at once, for one fee even if its is a bit more. I might order 3 items over the course of a week. I'd prefer if they kept me a shelf somewhere and after they received the 3rd item and I let them know, then only ship it to me. They can't do it that way.

This is the problem with Aramex.

The other side of the coin is that these days there are so many people buying goods internationally and the Post Office is probably in the same space it was 60 years ago. 

I've seen bags and bags of small parcels being delivered to my local post office, multiply that by a 1000 and they can't cope with the volume.

I received a letter from Australia on Friday, posted on the 18th May. Four days short of four months to arrive!

So if you use a courrier like DHL or aramex, do they bypass the post office completely and hustle their imports through customs themselves?

Eish i tough that just my parcel travailing around world :((,anyway landed in CT ,don't know why?? i am in Jozi ,so probably month to arrive here and another to send me a notice so probably just before xmas :eek: .

Freakish thing happened to me:

Post office notification paper for parcel collection arrives at a colleague of mine, he is 4 streets down from me, totally different street name to mine, but same street number, with my name on the paper.

I go with said paper to collect parcel and the original parcel had the correct street name, but the post office personnel had written the wrong street name when writing the notice.

This has certaily happened before as it is a manual hand written process with staff being overworked. They are seriously overdue for an automated system.  

Received 2 parcels in the last 3 weeks that I have been waiting for 5 months.

Saw a big containers of parcels that was from overseas being sorted . So looks like the door has been opend even if not completely and the stuff is at least starting to come in.

Help me with the numbers here.

They process 5 million a day, according to the article. Does he mean 5 million parcels, or Rand value?

If its 5 million parcels, that 5,000,000. There are 86,400 seconds in a day. So are they then processing nearly 58 parcels every second, non stop?

Kinda sounds like a Zuma kind of story promising 500,000 jobs, a lekker thumbsuck number.

They process 5 million a day, according to the article. Does he mean 5 million parcels, or Rand value?

If its 5 million parcels, that 5,000,000. There are 86,400 seconds in a day. So are they then processing nearly 58 parcels every second, non stop?

Kinda sounds like a Zuma kind of story promising 500,000 jobs, a lekker thumbsuck number.

I'm pretty sure that would be 5 million pieces of mail - whether letters or parcels. I would assume that the majority of these (especially the letters) would be sorted automatically with machines...

From what I heard on the radio he means 5m pieces of mail.

MB also said our scanning system was 3 times slower than the rest of the world / first world so in theory they could process 15m parcels with better equipment.

I didn't get a chance to phone in and ask him what he thought the average time to resolve a theft case was....I'm still waiting for a result from the investigation into the phone that was stolen in transit in Jan 2017.

I'm pretty sure that would be 5 million pieces of mail - whether letters or parcels. I would assume that the majority of these (especially the letters) would be sorted automatically with machines...

How? With people's horrendous handwritten addresses on?

There's only one way to speed this process up.

hqdefault.jpg

This morning my 17Track app on my phone alerted me that another one of my parcels was scanned at JHB yesterday, first update in just short of 3 months. So in 1 week I received one parcel, and another came back to life..

its-aliiiive-its-alive.jpg

The Post Office has a legacy ...

There was a time (not so long ago) that any White person could pitch up and get a job. It was part of the plan to address the 'poor white' problem, going back to the 1930's. For example a big works facility was built right next to a poor white area in Jhb West (Fietas)

I think that 'culture' has been perpetuated, just a different race now. Plus some residuals hanging in.

The Post Office has a legacy ...

There was a time (not so long ago) that any White person could pitch up and get a job. It was part of the plan to address the 'poor white' problem, going back to the 1930's. For example a big works facility was built right next to a poor white area in Jhb West (Fietas)

I think that 'culture' has been perpetuated, just a different race now. Plus some residuals hanging in.

Yep, plus just like SAA and other SEO's, the staff bas bloated without really adding any value. I think for example SAA's "staff per aircraft" is by far the highest in the world. I'll safely guess that the Post Office's ratio of "staff per mail item" is also probably the highest in the world.

One difference though between now and "then", then things worked just a bit faster.

So if you use a courrier like DHL or aramex, do they bypass the post office completely and hustle their imports through customs themselves?

yes.

I ordered something from China on the 12th of September, Paid $30 for aramex shipping, and it arrived on the 17th at my office.