RECALL Ohlins RXF 36 29/27+

Meezo

Interesting to see most of the spaz forks can blast you in the nuts or face

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/ohlins-warn-to-stop-riding-on-rxf-36-29-27-5-and-27-5-air-forks/

From Ohlins website: “Based upon reports from the field, we’ve concluded the Öhlins RXF 36 29/27.5 Air forks and all RXF 34 Air forks sold to aftermarket and spec’d as original equipment on the 2017 Stumpjumper, Enduro, and Fuse, and the 2018 Stumpjumper, Enduro, Levo, may contain a defect in the top cap which potentially affects safety. Specifically, the right-side top cap on some forks may not be adequately torqued which in some cases may lead to the top cap working itself free through riding. When this happens, the air cartridge may abruptly spring out of the stanchion tube causing a risk of injury to the rider. Therefore, we’ve decided to ask riders to stop riding, and our dealers to stop selling, affected forks and bicycles.

We are working urgently in partnership with Specialized on a remedy to this issue. Once we have obtained the necessary government approvals on our solution, we will issue a recall to fix the forks and get you back riding. As we progress with our recall strategy and approvals this site will be continuously updated.”

Interesting to see most of the spaz forks can blast you in the nuts or face

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/ohlins-warn-to-stop-riding-on-rxf-36-29-27-5-and-27-5-air-forks/

From Ohlins website: “Based upon reports from the field, we’ve concluded the Öhlins RXF 36 29/27.5 Air forks and all RXF 34 Air forks sold to aftermarket and spec’d as original equipment on the 2017 Stumpjumper, Enduro, and Fuse, and the 2018 Stumpjumper, Enduro, Levo, may contain a defect in the top cap which potentially affects safety. Specifically, the right-side top cap on some forks may not be adequately torqued which in some cases may lead to the top cap working itself free through riding. When this happens, the air cartridge may abruptly spring out of the stanchion tube causing a risk of injury to the rider. Therefore, we’ve decided to ask riders to stop riding, and our dealers to stop selling, affected forks and bicycles.

We are working urgently in partnership with Specialized on a remedy to this issue. Once we have obtained the necessary government approvals on our solution, we will issue a recall to fix the forks and get you back riding. As we progress with our recall strategy and approvals this site will be continuously updated.”

What industry is worse when it comes to bad design and dubious reliability? I can only think of LED TVs.

At least Ohlins did a recall, but what do you as the rider do in the meantime? Get an equivalent fork from Fox or RS?

What industry is worse when it comes to bad design and dubious reliability? I can only think of LED TVs.

At least Ohlins did a recall, but what do you as the rider do in the meantime? Get an equivalent fork from Fox or RS?

Especially if you just got a new stumpy or levo... Anyway not specialized fault but ouch

word on "the street" (pinkbike comments section) is that spaz requested items at a specific cost, in a specific timeframe. Shortcuts and budgetary constraints that resulted in sub-standard (for Ohlins) products. 

There have been 4 reports on a total batch of 17,000 forks. 

Edited by Cptmayhem

As has also been said on PB, its normal for top caps to come loose. I tightened the damper side one on my Pike yesterday and on my old Fox it was a regular occurrence. 

word on "the street" (pinkbike comments section) is that spaz requested items at a specific cost, in a specific timeframe. Shortcuts and budgetary constraints that resulted in sub-standard (for Ohlins) products. 

Immediate red flag

Immediate red flag

ya my noob in me tells me this is unlike specialized, but they are probably the best in bike marketting

Very scary if you imagine you could be blasting down the side of a mountain at 50km/h and your fork could just give in. Can't imagine what would happen to the rider

I don't think that is in anyway strange for the OEM market, when you invite tenders to spec bikes at certain price points. As a new-comer to the market, Ohlins blew their opportunity of a lifetime. 

From what I gather, this top cap event is just one of many issues with their products from the start. Perhaps the hype were too much and Ohlins really isn't that hot ****. 

As they always say don’t be the first to buy into new technology.

I have no doubt about Öhlins quality in their motorcycle stuff but honestly they just entered the Mtb arena competing against guys who been here for over 20 years.

As always when they were specced on the bikes everyone started singing their praises and presumed they were going to be the best.

Bit of a backfire now.

So they told customers to stop riding their bikes but offer no solution.

I was wondering why a week ago Specialized was blowing out all their Ohlins forks and shocks at ridiculous prices.

Give me fox any day.

Friend of mine just had one fitted two weeks ago to her '16 Enduro. Replaced RS Pike to match the Ohlins shock that was already on the bike.

Waited quite some time to get it to SA, and now this... Very bummed about it.

As they always say don’t be the first to buy into new technology.

I have no doubt about Öhlins quality in their motorcycle stuff but honestly they just entered the Mtb arena competing against guys who been here for over 20 years.

As always when they were specced on the bikes everyone started singing their praises and presumed they were going to be the best.

Bit of a backfire now.

So they told customers to stop riding their bikes but offer no solution.

I was wondering why a week ago Specialized was blowing out all their Ohlins forks and shocks at ridiculous prices.

Give me fox any day.

Maybe I misunderstand you but are you suggesting they were intentionally selling faulty (and dangerous) products at discounted prices because they knew about the problem? I really doubt it.

Come on, it's a Friday and let's just say what we all want to (if you don't own a Spaz)... they had it coming, Spaz is evil, they are paying for their greedy corporate sins, a fool and their money are parted, it'll give the rich old farts who ride them time to think about themselves while they are sitting there waiting for their fancy gold forks to return.

Right now pick a side, don't be swayed by any logic, make spurious comments with no evidence and let's get the true essence of a Friday thread going!