Main Road, Diep River cycling accident

G.S.W

Apparently asking questions to establish facts is not the best idea and only results in name calling.  :huh:

Yes tinmug, someone died and that person might well be known to other hubbers. It also happened on a spot & time many hubbers cycle so it could have happened to any of us. Also the family & friends of the deceased might very well be reading this thread. So there are emotions & sensitivity going around.

Being sensitive on the type of questions you ask and especially what it might be implying of the deceased is highly recommended to avoid the reactions you have been getting.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Dekker, FootballingCyclist, marko35s etc for the info.

Sitting at the end of an internet connection I am not privy to the details, notably that the car was on the opposite end of the road. So yes, my question has zero relevance. 

Apparently asking questions to establish facts is not the best idea and only results in name calling.  :huh:

It's about timing.

It's about speculation.

Threads like these hit nerves.

Your comments don't help.

Sitting at the end of an internet connection I am not privy to the details, notably that the car was on the opposite end of the road. So yes, my question has zero relevance. 

Details had been posted before you entered the tread. Did you read the posts before you went "devil advocate"?

Also, a cyclist stopped at the scene shortly afterwards and provided assistance, if anyone knows who that was (or if it was you), please get in touch.

From one of our team that was involved:

Hi fellow cyclists, Yesterday the 5F Cycling Club's DC Team went for an early morning training ride. Multiple members were bumped and 1 being killed by a car. We cannot remember the name of the passing cyclist who assisted with resuscitation. We would like to thank you.

Thanks

Peter

Can you provide a description of the rider? perhaps what kit the individual was wearing? Might help in getting the appreciation to the correct person

Hi everyone,

It was our team that was impacted by this tragic accident.

We appreciate the sympathies and well wishes to those who were directly affected by this accident.

Cycling Footballer has published a summary of what happened as reported by one of our members and this is all the info that is publically available at this time.

Accidents like this will always lead to speculation and discussion, which is normal, but please don't go out trying to apportion blame on either side until all the facts are out there.

Please also be aware that members of our team do belong to this forum as well and will read these posts.

Once again we appreciate the messages of sympathies and urge all riders to cycle safely, adhere to the rules of the road and try and ride as safely as possible with due consideration for all road users.

Thanks for coming here, my heartfelt sympathies with all involved.

How are the other two injured doing?

Guilty of the speculation charge - but it's one backed up by a huge sample set of car vs bike fatalities where the driver gets off on some technicality. It's not ok, and I'm not going to apologise for raising what should be serious concerns about the limited consequences of drivers doing this, I just won't do it here.

Also, a cyclist stopped at the scene shortly afterwards and provided assistance, if anyone knows who that was (or if it was you), please get in touch.

Hi fellow cyclists, Yesterday the 5F Cycling Club's DC Team went for an early morning training ride. Multiple members were bumped and 1 being killed by a car. We cannot remember the name of the passing cyclist who assisted with resuscitation. We would like to thank you.

Thanks

Peter

Do you know what bike he had? I know a few that were in the area.

Having seen a lot of these before I become out raged by the constant victim blaming which normally accompanies these conversations, which makes the problem worse. 

This very well could have been any of my whatsapp contacts on that road on Saturday. 

Thanks

Peter

Message cadenceblur. He said that a friend of his stopped on the scene. 

Hate to play devils advocate, but ... was the deceased riding in a peloton?

I think the problem here is your wording. (and I understand that in SA not everyone speaks English as a first language, so maybe that's the case here)

If you'd said - "this is a terrible disaster and I'm struggling with it. Does anyone have any more information on the circumstances of the accident" then things may have gone more smoothly.

To use the phrase "Devils Advocate" implies that you want to look at it "from the Devils point of view" (in this case the Devil being the driver) and to ask "was the deceased riding in a peloton" implies that if they were, then they are somehow to blame in some way. I'm afraid that's a phrase you were never going to get away with.

Edit: Devils Advocate (noun)

"a person who expresses a contentious opinion in in order to provoke debate or test the strength of the opposing arguments"

Having seen a lot of these before I become out raged by the constant victim blaming which normally accompanies these conversations, which makes the problem worse.

This very well could have been any of my whatsapp contacts on that road on Saturday.

I messaged as many mates as I could on Sat morning when I heard about this, just to make sure it was none of them as we all live fairly close to that side and ride that stretch daily. When I heard "Group of 5" I immediately checked Savage Insta page as its quicker than SABC news or any other form of news LOL and as I know you lads also ride this side and usually that time(as I've tagged along a few times)and the number of riders it just sounded like it could have been your group maybe.

Rolled for 4 hrs yesterday and the majority of my thoughts were reflecting on this incident.

I remember buying a mountain bike and staying off the road for as much as possible with training efforts after the passing of a friend from A bunch, Randall February, after he was killed by a car ignoring red lights.

Then I started to buy high-vis clothing and bigger lights, more than before, and train with groups on the weekends. I find the roads are more peaceful during the week in the times and places where I roll.

Do what you can to be safe out there, Fellow cyclists.

Ride In Peace, man. 

RIP.

Let's please be sensitive when discussing this guys. One of our own passed away yesterday on a Stunning Spring Morning out riding his bike. Something we all love to do no matter what discipline we prefer. Even if you didn't know him you might well have shared a table and a quick chat with him at Bootleggers at some point.

I think the relevance and appropriateness of the question has a direct impact on the response you receive.  Rather wait for info to come out, as it did, and read every post before asking because ten to one your question won't even need to be asked. 

Archived