Main Road, Diep River cycling accident

G.S.W

Sad sad news....[emoji20][emoji20]

R.I.P to cyclist and i wish the other cyclists a speedy recovery.

Everytime we leave our homes to go for a ride we risk our lives, that's pretty much beyond doubt. The next KM could be your last! Keep that mind and just be careful.

I've seen so many accidents in the past 2 months where cars have driven into robots and walls from drunk driving,fatigue or otherwise.

Ill keep saying it, if you're going to cycle early weekend mornings please STAY 1000% ALERT. We mean nothing to these drivers, espeically now that we are heading into silly season.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To take adequate precautions that ensure they don't kill someone on the way home?

Too tired to drive? Make another plan.

True, there's absolutely no shame in taking an hour nap in your car before leaving work or the club. That sometimes is the difference.

Do you think the driver would have shaved his ball hairs with a razor blade in the state he drove that morning? Probably not, so why go drive?

This is my new measure to any one I know at a bar or a dinner party or a braai who still thinks it's okay to go and get behind a wheel after a casual skin full. I might even carry single bladed bic to drive home the issue. 

This is my new measure to any one I know at a bar or a dinner party or a braai who still thinks it's okay to go and get behind a wheel after a casual skin full. I might even carry single bladed bic to drive home the issue.

This!0bf1b3ab4eae52d5d6e7929d4adba25f.jpg

True, there's absolutely no shame in taking an hour nap in your car before leaving work or the club. That sometimes is the difference.

I have done exactly this. Halfway home from one of the power stations, Matla I suspect, after a very long day I just suddenly came over very tired. Pulled into the Wimpy in Delmas, reclined the seat a bit and just nodded off for half an hour.  Ended up missing most of the rush hour traffic on the Rand so probably got home at the same time anyway.

Certainly no shame in pulling over . . . just be careful where you park up I guess - you wouldn't want to lose your wheels ;-)

Sad sad news....[emoji20][emoji20]

R.I.P to cyclist and i wish the other cyclists a speedy recovery.

Everytime we leave our homes to go for a ride we risk our lives, that's pretty much beyond doubt. The next KM could be your last! Keep that mind and just be careful.

I've seen so many accidents in the past 2 months where cars have driven into robots and walls from drunk driving,fatigue or otherwise.

Ill keep saying it, if you're going to cycle early weekend mornings please STAY 1000% ALERT. We mean nothing to these drivers, espeically now that we are heading into silly season.

Not to derail the thread, but surely we can do better than this? I'm thinking maybe a parkrun kind of cycling option using the dedicated cycling lanes with some support marshals/medical backup.

As I cyclist I feel deeply saden when aver one of our fellow brothers has fallen. And it is @this point that I feel we as cyclist must stand together and take to the streets and say enough is enough.... And also make our voices heard and who aver drive so reckless and no regard for human life be punished.

Nah how about consequences for bad driving. Speeding on the highway hardy constitutes a danger to many other than the driver. Speeding in a built up area is far more dangerous. When last have you seen a speed trap in a 60zone near a school??!

How about pulling drivers over for moving violations?

How about educating these dumb @&$/ that cyclists are traffic and belong on the road.

My eldest daughter want to go for her learners license. Her uncle told she should go for the “fast tracked” option. Apparently everyone is doing it. R2500 and you go straight to pass out and you can skip that too!!!

No thanks she’ll learn the hard way and that’s with me sitting next to her rambling on about the rules of the road, courtesy , defensive positioning and letting the arseholes go have their accident somewhere else.

We have become to conditioned to treating the symptoms we forget that the problem starts with poor or lack of education

Hi everyone,

It was our team that was impacted by this tragic accident.

We appreciate the sympathies and well wishes to those who were directly affected by this accident.

Cycling Footballer has published a summary of what happened as reported by one of our members and this is all the info that is publically available at this time.

Accidents like this will always lead to speculation and discussion, which is normal, but please don't go out trying to apportion blame on either side until all the facts are out there.

Please also be aware that members of our team do belong to this forum as well and will read these posts.

Once again we appreciate the messages of sympathies and urge all riders to cycle safely, adhere to the rules of the road and try and ride as safely as possible with due consideration for all road users.

Also, a cyclist stopped at the scene shortly afterwards and provided assistance, if anyone knows who that was (or if it was you), please get in touch.

From one of our team that was involved:

Hi fellow cyclists, Yesterday the 5F Cycling Club's DC Team went for an early morning training ride. Multiple members were bumped and 1 being killed by a car. We cannot remember the name of the passing cyclist who assisted with resuscitation. We would like to thank you.

Thanks

Peter

Thanks Dekker, FootballingCyclist, marko35s etc for the info.

Sitting at the end of an internet connection I am not privy to the details, notably that the car was on the opposite end of the road. So yes, my question has zero relevance. 

Apparently asking questions to establish facts is not the best idea and only results in name calling.  :huh:

Hi everyone,

We appreciate the sympathies and well wishes to those who were directly affected by this accident.

Cycling Footballer has published a summary of what happened as reported by one of our members and this is all the info that is publically available at this time.

Accidents like this will always lead to speculation and discussion, which is normal, but please don't go out trying to apportion blame on either side until all the facts are out there.

Please also be aware that members of our team do belong to this forum as well and will read these posts.

Once again we appreciate the messages of sympathies and urge all riders to cycle safely, adhere to the rules of the road and try and ride as safely as possible with due consideration for all road users.

I hope the msg I posted is not a problem?? I just wanted to clear up some speculation on the event.

My thoughts are with your whole group and everyone affected.

Sorry ?!? But are you saying that you support unfit to drive, drivers....  driving on the roads ?

To take adequate precautions that ensure they don't kill someone on the way home?

Too tired to drive? Make another plan.

In a perfect world everyone works 09:00-17:00 but the world isn't perfect.All i am saying is sometimes people are forced to do things they don't want to especially with the lack of public transport.

How many cyclists have had a bad night because of race in the morning.Then gotten up at 04:00 to drive to the race in the dark and driven back home later after the race.

Hi everyone,

Sorry for your loss and condolences to the family and friends.

As I cyclist I feel deeply saden when aver one of our fellow brothers has fallen. And it is @this point that I feel we as cyclist must stand together and take to the streets and say enough is enough.... And also make our voices heard and who aver drive so reckless and no regard for human life be punished.

THIS is exactly what the Critical Mass rides are all about.

Letting all the general public (car driving general public especially) know that we as cyclists are a very big group of people, on all sorts of bikes, that deserve a place and some respect on the roads. We are not just a tiny minority of people on 100k bikes. 

I hope the msg I posted is not a problem?? I just wanted to clear up some speculation on the event.

My thoughts are with your whole group and everyone affected.

It's not a problem, it was as reported through our Whatsapp group.

Thanks for the thoughts and well wishes, it is quite something for everyone involved.

Archived