Intervals.icu interval detection and training tool

intervals.icu now support tablets. Touch and drag on all charts to move the marker and expand/pinch to zoom in/out on the ride timeline chart. The activity calendar changes its layout in portrait view to fit everything in. Testing has been done on an old iPad 3 and brand new iPad air so hopefully it works on some others as well. Otherwise let me know!

post-5083-0-79472900-1562183962_thumb.jpg

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

David, may I ask how you define work vs recovery in the intervals (in terms of zones)? I did the trailseeker mtb race on the weekend and had quite a few recovery intervals in zone 4. This seems strange to me!

post-45899-0-42192500-1562246211_thumb.png

Edited by RyanAW

David, may I ask how you define work vs recovery in the intervals (in terms of zones)? I did the trailseeker mtb race on the weekend and had quite a few recovery intervals in zone 4. This seems strange to me!

The algorithm picks out all the intervals starting with a highest power point working out looking for a sudden drop on either side. There are heuristics to figure out if something is really an interval (long enough for the intensity) and others to combine intervals with short gaps between them. Everything in between becomes recovery.

It hasn't done too well on your race which was basically 2h51m of flat out eyeball popping riding with no intervals. Its picked out a few points but the in between stuff is almost as hard and not recovery at all. 

The algorithm picks out all the intervals starting with a highest power point working out looking for a sudden drop on either side. There are heuristics to figure out if something is really an interval (long enough for the intensity) and others to combine intervals with short gaps between them. Everything in between becomes recovery.

It hasn't done too well on your race which was basically 2h51m of flat out eyeball popping riding with no intervals. Its picked out a few points but the in between stuff is almost as hard and not recovery at all. 

Thanks. So relatively speaking, it is appropriate :clap:

PS. great work!! :thumbup:

Hi David,

I use Strava Sauce extension to look at my critical power after a ride.

I did see there is a difference between Strava Sauce and intervals.icu, mainly due to the 'Power Spike' option.

I managed to fix it by setting it to 99. Is that fine or not accurate?

I must be honest, I haven't done an FTP in a long time (too scared as well). 

But with that being said, I knew I could hold 479W for 1min because I used my computer's lap function and with the power spike set to 30 I was getting less which did not seem right to me at all.

Thanks.
Edited by Andrew_Smith

I had a look at your ride on the 5th of July. The intensity is 116% for 1h13 and that means your FTP is set too low. You shouldn't be able to get intensity of more than 100 for anything longer than an hour. Low FTP will also cause the power spike detector to "fix" things that aren't spikes. It uses your FTP to spot suspicious power. Setting the power spike threshold to 99 effectively disables it.

I think your FTP is probably something close to the Intervals.icu estimate. Hope so anyway :)

I agree with you David, I think it is my low FTP...

Will tweak my FTP to the estimate and will put an ramp up test for later this month to confirm the results. I also hope my FTP is the same as the intervals.icu estimate, that will be awesome!

Thanks again for all the hard work and effort on the site - makes tracking my fitness and progress a breeze.

When using a tool like this, it is imperative to have an accurate FTP because everything is based on it or from it.

Get that right and then you’ll be able to monitor your training. I’m probably saying things that everybody here knows but it would solve a few of the questions which have been put forward.

And the estimated FTP function is a great addition to the tools here as a ramp test or FTP test of other forms is never a favourite activity.

David I have a question regarding the estimated FTP.

Is the estimated FTP shown given per ride or does the algorithm work over time (in the case of a decrease over time)?

Is the estimated FTP shown given per ride or does the algorithm work over time (in the case of a decrease over time)?

It works over time. If you maintain your current training load it will stay the same, if you reduce training it will decay. You need to do something above the critical power curve for your current FTP to get it to go up, specifically a max effort of 60s or longer. I am going to make the min time max effort configurable as 60s might be a bit short.

It actually estimates for every ride but only uses the result if the new estimate is higher than the current estimate (with any decay applied).

David you got a mention on the TrainerRoad podcast this morning by the way.......

You mentioned you were going to look at customizing the min time used to calculate est FTP. Would it be possible to have an option where you can see the est FTP per ride as well. Could be useful to have this figure when for instance you do a FTP test on TrainerRoad to reference it with the est FTP for that session. Always good to have more than 1 estimate to work from

My base training plans seem to be working  :clap: hopefully  :eek:

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

My chart does not look like yours. I can see my model fit but there is no decoupling % displayed. Any settings I need to change?

My chart does not look like yours. I can see my model fit but there is no decoupling % displayed. Any settings I need to change?

Decoupling % is only displayed for rides with more than 2h of useable data. Short rides also don't break out the 1st half vs 2nd half info.