Intervals.icu interval detection and training tool

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi David

I dont understand the power at 150bpm. Why 150bpm?

I asked why it was measured at 150bpm, in a previous post, and I can’t find any actual answer for why it is 150bpm.

This, however, might/will help explain the relationship between power and heart rate:

https://powermetercity.com/2016/02/16/heart-rate-monitor-vs-power-meter/

https://medium.com/critical-powers/modelling-heart-rate-and-power-output-d5fb654eae9d

https://www.velonews.com/2018/10/training/training-center-why-heart-rate-shouldnt-be-ignored_480208

I dont understand the power at 150bpm. Why 150bpm?

Thats the top end of my zone 2 for heartrate so I like to know what power I produce there on an endurance ride. I plan to make it configurable, probably when I add support for HR zones.

Hi David

I don't really know what to do with this, but just thought I would let you know:

My FTP has always hovered around 240 to 280w depending on how good I have been training.

Last week, I wanted to see where my 60s power limit is and I subsequently picked a hill which would suffice and gave it berries, emptied everything. The resultant calculated FTP from intervals.icu makes my FTP 334W, which would be great if it were true.

But, I have subsequently done a Ramp test indoor and again emptied the tank completely, but the calculated FTP came to 270W. I suspected that my calibration or resolve wasn't ideal so I waited a couple of days and then tried again, but only reached an FTP of 274W. Which is way below the 334W calculated from my 60s effort.

What do you think is happening? Is the inside/outside power discrepancy that big that it can explain the difference in numbers?

Obviously I will use the indoor figures for indoor training going forward.

From what I have read people can usually get more power outdoors but not that much more. Its quite likely that a 60s max effort isn't long enough to be reliable for you (and likely others). I am planning on making the minimum duration configurable soon (2 or 3 mins should work better).

A ramp test is one of the best measures so you should certainly use that.

Hi David

What is the most efficient way to remove that 60s effort from the Estimated FTP calculation currently? The obvious first answer is to nuke the whole activity in Strava, but I would like to retain the 60s effort for future reference.

In the interim I have gotten it to ignore those 60s intervals by using the Power Spike filter aggresively on the offending activities. 24% on the one and 8% on the other one. This will allow me to still view the raw data in the future.

What is the most efficient way to remove that 60s effort from the Estimated FTP calculation currently? The obvious first answer is to nuke the whole activity in Strava, but I would like to retain the 60s effort for future reference.

I am almost done with a big refactoring and then I will be churning through the todo list as quickly as possible. I should be able to get that minimum time configurable per athlete this week. So probably best to just wait for a bit.

The refactoring makes Intervals.icu a lot faster and lays the groundwork for a lot of the stuff I want to do in future.

Does the intervals.icu work on the Strava paid version? 

It works on the Free version, so I am pretty sure it will work the same whether you are using the paid version or not. Am I missing something here?

The "big refactor" is finally live. Not much different from a users perspective other than much better performance. Now I can get on with better handling for deleted activities and then hit the todo list hard! Lots of stuff on that list!

If you get errors reload the app and see if they go away. I had to make non-compatible changes to the backend so it only works with the latest client.

The "big refactor" is finally live. Not much different from a users perspective other than much better performance. Now I can get on with better handling for deleted activities and then hit the todo list hard! Lots of stuff on that list!

If you get errors reload the app and see if they go away. I had to make non-compatible changes to the backend so it only works with the latest client.

Can we now choose the minimum time required for the estimated FTP determination?

Can we now choose the minimum time required for the estimated FTP determination?

I am working on that now :) Just finished up sorting out the latest set of issues related to deleting activities.

The minimum max effort duration required for FTP estimation can now be configured in settings. When you change this value, Intervals.icu will re-estimate your FTP for your history and re-assign "FTP up" achievements. The default is now 180s (up from 60s, this was a bit short and over-estimated FTP for people with good anaerobic power).

post-5083-0-52329300-1565841613_thumb.png

The minimum max effort duration required for FTP estimation can now be configured in settings. When you change this value, Intervals.icu will re-estimate your FTP for your history and re-assign "FTP up" achievements. The default is now 180s (up from 60s, this was a bit short and over-estimated FTP for people with good anaerobic power).

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2019-08-15 at 05.58.57.png

Thanks, my FTP is now much more realistic. :thumbup:

As a matter of interest, how many users does intervals.icu have currently? Just curious to know how quickly word spreads on a cool tool like yours.

Thanks! Intervals.icu had 649 users active in the last week, only counting people who have been to the site at least 3 times since signing up. So those are real users.

Still small numbers but growing 25%/month.

Don't know if it is just isolated to myself, but I cannot change the universal setting for Power spikes %. It is stuck on 8%