Jumping lights

Andreas_187

It's not everywhere. I cycled for 5 weeks in London in July/August and didn't even use my crazy flashing lights. I never once felt I danger in over 800km. Cars would give me such a wide berth that the car coming in the opposite direction would hoot at them.

When the road was narrow cars would patiently sit behind and wait until it was safe to pass. It was crazy/weird.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was quite impressed by the elderly white gentlemen in "Race Pace Racing" kit this morning who felt that chaotic traffic on Tokai Main Road was no match for his cycling prowess as he passed through red lights completely undeterred by the cars trying to cross with their green light heading straight for him. I was in my car and seriously contemplated stopping him but decided someone like that really isn't worth the time - he will lose when someone ultimately hits him with their car.

How do you think those motorists coming the other way will react to the next cyclist... completely distain?

If you get cut up by a car and scream, swear and shout its the following cyclists that are ultimately met with hatred. I think we have to do better with our PR.

There was a fellow hubber that had a bad incident with a 4x4 on Rosmead earlier this year and they ended up having a beer and talked it out. I thought he was mad initially but his actions were so spot on. Well done that man.

You know, the argument of right vs wrong, safe vs unsafe, you're forgetting the real issue... The impact your actions have on drivers.

Let's face it. Drivers already have little or no respect for cyclists. Probably simply for the fact that they've not been on a bike in traffic, and for the most part consider you a time wasting nuisance.

Then you, Mr know it all and safety judge extraordinaire, decide to flaunt the agreed rules because you apparently know better. But, you expect the drivers around you, who have now witnessed you flaunting said rules, to treat you with respect and give you space and drive cautiously around you.

The maths doesn't add up.

Just this morning, I took my wife to the creamery in Mouille Point... Brilliant ice cream. But, I witnessed no less than 8 of the

10 cyclists we saw, excluing the promenade cruisers, skip the lights.

At the intersection by the pharmacy, I actually got irate and hooted, informing the cyclist that the light was red. I was told in no uncertain terms to go and **** myself.

I can't express the frustration I felt... Actually, wait, I can - I felt the same way toward those "fellow" cyclists that I do to witnessing taxis flaunting the rules. Absolute disgust, even though their actions may not have affected me, and an absolute unlikelihood to be as cautious as I normally am.

Now, imagine if I was not a cyclist. Imagine I was one of the ous from the 4x4 forum.

Don't be a dick. Don't ruin the image of cyclists because you're selfish and impatient. Stop at lights. Indicate your intentions. Thank considerate drivers. Don't be a dick.

You know, the argument of right vs wrong, safe vs unsafe, you're forgetting the real issue... The impact your actions have on drivers.

Let's face it. Drivers already have little or no respect for cyclists. Probably simply for the fact that they've not been on a bike in traffic, and for the most part consider you a time wasting nuisance.

Then you, Mr know it all and safety judge extraordinaire, decide to flaunt the agreed rules because you apparently know better. But, you expect the drivers around you, who have now witnessed you flaunting said rules, to treat you with respect and give you space and drive cautiously around you.

Just this morning, I took my wife to the creamery in Mouille Point... Brilliant ice cream. But, I witnessed no less than 8 of the

At the intersection by the pharmacy, I actually got irate and hooted, informing the cyclist that the light was red. I was told in no uncertain terms to go and **** myself.

I can't express the frustration I felt... Actually, wait, I can - I felt the same way toward those "fellow" cyclists that I do to witnessing taxis flaunting the rules. Absolute disgust, even though their actions may not have affected me, and an absolute unlikelihood to be as cautious as I normally am.

Now, imagine if I was not a cyclist. Imagine I was one of the ous from the 4x4 forum.

Don't be a dick. Don't ruin the image of cyclists because you're selfish and impatient. Stop at lights. Indicate your intentions. Thank considerate drivers. Don't be a dick.

The next time I’m in Scummies, I’m buying you several beers!! Great post!

Last night on the way home, a car is stopped at a red light with a metro bmw right behind them. The car in front crosses the red, but the metro just sits there, doing nothing. The moment it turned green, the metro cop just drove off, passing the offender and doing absolutely nothing.
Metro police/police act the first line of criminals right now

Last night on the way home, a car is stopped at a red light with a metro bmw right behind them. The car in front crosses the red, but the metro just sits there, doing nothing. The moment it turned green, the metro cop just drove off, passing the offender and doing absolutely nothing.

Metro police/police act the first line of criminals right now

Metro don't police traffic. I know it's a lame distinction, but they're there for civil disobedience, theft etc. Not traffic infringements. 

Metro don't police traffic. I know it's a lame distinction, but they're there for civil disobedience, theft etc. Not traffic infringements. 

Metro Police in JHB is specifically the JHB Metropolitan Traffic Police.

White and orange livery, seen most often at KFC drive-through's, leaning into driver's windows and sleeping oximoronically next to unmanned cameras.

Agreed, but even if cyclists obey the law 100% its not going to stop cyclists being killed. The dangers are impatient drivers, people on phones and drunk. 

Think everyone should be lekker towards people using the roads, but its not going to make it any safer.

Agreed, but even if cyclists obey the law 100% its not going to stop cyclists being killed. The dangers are impatient drivers, people on phones and drunk. 

Think everyone should be lekker towards people using the roads, but its not going to make it any safer.

Yes, that's why the Lobbyists in England is calling for segregated cycle lanes. They have some pretty advanced infrastructure, and yet, they don't sit back and say, it's better than nothing.

Here, it seems like we are pissing into the formidable south-easter...

Metro Police in JHB is specifically the JHB Metropolitan Traffic Police.

White and orange livery, seen most often at KFC drive-through's, leaning into driver's windows and sleeping oximoronically next to unmanned cameras.

Aha. Cool, that makes things a bit clearer, and definitely not ayoba. 

Aha. Cool, that makes things a bit clearer, and definitely not ayoba. 

I used to think the standard police officer & vehicle had jurisdiction over road infringements, then someone corrected me that metro police, the orange and white luxury and sports vehicles lined at kfc and private homes, are the sole traffic enforcers. So lately I specifically look for the metro/jmpd labels on the police vehicles, just so I can share the experience of their unlawful actions!

Swak for sure hey.

Yes, that's why the Lobbyists in England is calling for segregated cycle lanes. They have some pretty advanced infrastructure, and yet, they don't sit back and say, it's better than nothing.

Here, it seems like we are pissing into the formidable south-easter...

Yeah, seen a lot of the calls in the UK for it. There are some major arterials in Cape Town that could do with a bike lane, gugs to claremont, gugs to Athlone, all really busy roads at the moment with no bike lane at all. 

With the traffic congestion and petrol price going up all the time then its going to happen slowly that people start riding.

Well, anc ex joburg mayor parks tau had the right idea regarding creating cycle lanes between alex and sandton central, as part of the requirement to be elected for the international mayoral committee. He badly implemented probably the worst cycling infrastructure in parts of joburg.

There is a huge requirement for cycling infrastructure between townships and cbds. We the recreational cyclist is but a small percentage of cycling road users.

Look at Beyers naude in the mornings, and how cyclists gets pushed off the road by yellow lane driving maniacs. There are numerous arterial feeder roads with commuters taking their lives into their own hamds. And they are not cycling to the cbd, they are cycling to low paying jobs in the burbs.

For us to benefit from cycling infrastructure it needs to fill a broader need than john wanting to do his 94.7 training without getting murdered by drunk driving all nighters.

That is why I find it particularly sad that the first major properly designed dedicated cycle lane in Cape Town, the West Coast one, is now in effect blockaded at the city end because of poor policing, muggings, robberies and crime and grime. The City of Cape Town built it. Then let the fences be broken, let homeless and criminal elements in, and seem unable, unwilling or simply don't care to fix the problem. There is no sense in building a fantastic 30 km long cycle lane to the city and then allowing a ambush alley to develop at the city end of it where cyclists are attacked regularly.  :(

Archived