n+1.5

Slowbee

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Slowbee, just from your pics I can tell you that you need to look up. As in where you want to go and not at your feet. That will already make a huge difference. Also, you need to keep a straight back, good posture makes for better reactions to direction changes, be it forward/back or to the sides.

Slowbee, just from your pics I can tell you that you need to look up. As in where you want to go and not at your feet. That will already make a huge difference. Also, you need to keep a straight back, good posture makes for better reactions to direction changes, be it forward/back or to the sides.

You sound like my wife ! :eek:

Thanks for the tip though - will give it a bash tomorrow and on the weekend training camp. Also I am going to try on a tennis court more space and less of a worry about hitting the stoep furniture and or suddenly doing a long drop (!) off the stoep

This weekend the training camp was a bit rough.

I am still struggling with the fixie thing. As I get going and the balance wobbles I stop pedaling.

That bicycle cruise mode thing when all is going lovely and you want to look around does not apply to fixie's.

And of course there is the matter of the seat. So the idea is you lean forward and keep pedaling to keep the bike under you. I was falling forward, I pedaled harder. And unicycle bounced back underneath me. Then I had a moment. The seat hit me hard bouncing back underneath me. The world turned a deeper shade of blue, green, yellows and little flashes of white stars. And this nuclear explosion happened. I was exuding radioactive noises. Only to be given advice by my daughter. Daddy, you do know it is sore when some kicks you between the legs.

I spent the rest of the evening with an ice pack trying to make friends with my friends again. And I banned my wife from laughing and taking photo's.

post-2696-0-79672400-1540802885.jpg

Safety first, no more pedal strike worries.

All the guys say if you are falling of backwards you need to lean more forward (duh). But I was scared to do this as this is how the pedal strikes happen. So I made pads. Worked well. Till the nuclear explosion happened. 

No helmet required on the stoep. :ph34r:

You sound like my wife ! :eek:

Maybe if someone else other than your wife says it to you, you will listen....

Only saying this as its the inverse of our household. If I give Wifey riding tips, I get scolded. If someone else gives that same riding tip, it is applied successfully.

Edited by PhilipV

Maybe if someone else other than your wife says it to you, you will listen....

Only saying this as its the inverse of our household. If I give Wifey riding tips, I get scolded. If someone else gives that same riding tip, it is applied successfully.

which is why I paid an instructor if my wife want driving training or similar .... cheaper than a marage councillor ....  :whistling:   :wacko:

Edited by ChrisF

Dragged out of the garage this afternoon, just to see if an old dog can remember any tricks. Damned kid could look a little more impressed, TBH.

1. look far ahead (unlike me)

2. have a bin to lean on for the start, until you remember how to do the standing start. New vid next week.

3. Fall forward and pedal the ike in under you, for as long as you can.

4. Flail arms like a penguin at a party.

5. Quit while you are ahead and have a beer to celebrate.

6. Most important tip: only do all this when the 13-year-old has a friend from school visiting... "sooooo embarrassing". Mission accomplished.

post-86413-0-67723400-1541515587.gif

Edited by Tim Brink

Dragged out of the garage this afternoon, just to see if an old dog can remember any tricks. Damned kid could look a little more impressed, TBH.

1. look far ahead (unlike me)

2. have a bin to lean on for the start, until you remember how to do the standing start. New vid next week.

3. Fall forward and pedal the ike in under you, for as long as you can.

4. Flail arms like a penguin at a party.

5. Quit while you are ahead and have a beer to celebrate.

6. Most important tip: only do all this when the 13-year-old has a friend from school visiting... "sooooo embarrassing". Mission accomplished.

nerd