Night riding... I can't see!

EatPrayRide

Just canceled the cdc order... So this is the one then? Do you guys rate this??

Yes its a good light. But I'd get the CWC light for the helmet and make sure you get an extension lead with it. The cheapies don't stay on the market for very long and often the next version will have an incompatible plug.

Speedmaster i also good. The Takealot unit is similar to the Speedmaster 1600lumen light.

The lumen output isn't that important after you exceed 900 lumen. the beam focus and spread becomes more of a errrrr,,,,,,,,,focal point... :ph34r:

The Takealot unit will have a good spread and warm focal center spot for a long reach down the trail but also give a wide smooth halo.

the CWC unit will have a very warm center spot and dim halo making it better suited to the helmet mounting position

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you live in the city, a very bright light with a deeper beam mounted on your helmet is the best thing.

Ambient lighting dilutes the power of your light making everything seem washy and taking away your depth perception.

I say mounted on your helmet because if you ride single track with tight corners or rutty/rooty/droppy stuff it means you can always see where you need to go and not where the bike is pointing.

I have a 3000 lumen light for Cape Town city night gnar fests and I have an 800 lumen dynamo light for adventure racing (a second 100 lumen torch on my helmet which I only use to descend) and they both seem equal when I use them in their respective environments as we race in the middle of nowhere so even a cell phone is a passable bike light.

I did Freedom Challenge with a 300 lumen Black Diamond Icon head torch cable tied to my helmet with no hassle at all.

In the city or lots of ambient power lighting, the stronger the better but make sure the beam is deep, otherwise you get white out and that makes it even more difficult to see!

Just ascend with it on dim and manage the battery properly and you can milk 8 hours of night riding easily with a big 3000 lumen light.

If you live in the city, a very bright light with a deeper beam mounted on your helmet is the best thing.

Ambient lighting dilutes the power of your light making everything seem washy and taking away your depth perception.

I say mounted on your helmet because if you ride single track with tight corners or rutty/rooty/droppy stuff it means you can always see where you need to go and not where the bike is pointing.

I have a 3000 lumen light for Cape Town city night gnar fests and I have an 800 lumen dynamo light for adventure racing (a second 100 lumen torch on my helmet which I only use to descend) and they both seem equal when I use them in their respective environments as we race in the middle of nowhere so even a cell phone is a passable bike light.

I did Freedom Challenge with a 300 lumen Black Diamond Icon head torch cable tied to my helmet with no hassle at all.

In the city or lots of ambient power lighting, the stronger the better but make sure the beam is deep, otherwise you get white out and that makes it even more difficult to see!

Just ascend with it on dim and manage the battery properly and you can milk 8 hours of night riding easily with a big 3000 lumen light.

https://youtu.be/IeXMKygwSco?t=48

I did with 50 lumens on max setting, and even outshone some guys with that!

Chris Willemse 900 lumen light is R499. Sometimes they are on special. I have two of these, the batteries last ages on high setting. 

Great ill have a look. Thanks.

I have the CWC 900 and 1400 and neither last very long on bright. On dim, they will last about 3 hours before noticing a degradation in performance (both from full charge and unplugged when not in use). They are decent, but not good.

Just canceled the cdc order... So this is the one then? Do you guys rate this??

Can't see you getting better value, the Cwc light is a Chinese cheapie, not bad but not particularly good either, the magicshine is a good quality light that's well made and finished, good led cobs and reflector.

There's also a decent Ryder light in the classifieds for R600 last I looked but once shipping is factored in not much less than the magicshine.

Also consider a light's runtime is a factor or the battery capacity and quality of cells in the battery, both of which should be better with the magicshine.

Also the magicshine is brighter(and probably matches the stated specs closer), you don't run the light at max output continuously or the batteries won't go far but it's nice to have the brightness when needed during certain situations.

Check the reviews of the magicshine, should be some on Amazon.

I have the CWC 900 and 1400 and neither last very long on bright. On dim, they will last about 3 hours before noticing a degradation in performance (both from full charge and unplugged when not in use). They are decent, but not good.

I have two CWC 900's, they last more than 4 hours on full bright. Had them about a year and they are still good. 

I disagree that CWC is same as Aliexpress Chinese cheapie (based my limited sample size, I admit). I have bought four cheap Aliexpress Chinese lights (paid less than R200 each for them), the CWC light is a lot better than those in power usage (doesn't get as hot) and battery life. If the light is advertised as a certain power and battery life, test it and send it back if you are not happy with it.

I have a 1000 lumens Ryder light works great and best of all it has a lifetime warranty.

Weren't you selling the 1500 lumen Ryder light in the classifieds?

I have two CWC 900's, they last more than 4 hours on full bright. Had them about a year and they are still good. 

I disagree that CWC is same as Aliexpress Chinese cheapie (based my limited sample size, I admit). I have bought four cheap Aliexpress Chinese lights (paid less than R200 each for them), the CWC light is a lot better than those in power usage (doesn't get as hot) and battery life. If the light is advertised as a certain power and battery life, test it and send it back if you are not happy with it.

I wonder if it has to do with something like battery batches or better quality controls if yours is older and works better? (no innuendo lol). Mine were both bought this year and while they work perfectly fine for their intended purposes, they are inferior to the +-4 year old extremelights unit.

I wonder if it has to do with something like battery batches or better quality controls if yours is older and works better? (no innuendo lol). Mine were both bought this year and while they work perfectly fine for their intended purposes, they are inferior to the +-4 year old extremelights unit.

Yeah, this worries me. I have been telling people these lights are so good.

I rode with a 1000 lumen light for a few years thinking it was just dandy, but recently got one of these Extreme Lights. It's is like night and day, literally! I ride a lot at night and am happy to admit that my night vision has deteriorated a lot in recent years - a decent light makes it a lot safer and a lot more enjoyable for me.

If your "Chinese cheapie" get's you through your 1-2 hour ride in the mornings or evenings then that's great.

The battery is the more expensive part of the set so you will find that the R 600 light's battery will eventually go dead and then you end up with a head unit without a battery. Then you come to us for a new battery (  :thumbup:  )and a lot of the times the head unit is not compatible with the battery so you end up buying a new set.

But then again it's all about what kind of riding you are going to do and for how many years you intend to ride. ^_^ 

But for those rides you might look at a integrated light that has a built in battery.

Yeah, this worries me. I have been telling people these lights are so good.

Cheaper no name lights will definitely use lesser quality li-ion cells, one factor being their capacity/runtime will degrade faster than good cells. The output will also not stay as linear, so on a full charge on poor quality cells the runtime may be 2hrs but after 1hr the light may start to dim whereas good cells will only start to dim at 1hr30min

Good lights will have a better light reflector/lens/beam pattern and better battery packs, those are 2 critical factors to getting good light output.

If your "Chinese cheapie" get's you through your 1-2 hour ride in the mornings or evenings then that's great.

The battery is the more expensive part of the set so you will find that the R 600 light's battery will eventually go dead and then you end up with a head unit without a battery. Then you come to us for a new battery (  :thumbup:  )and a lot of the times the head unit is not compatible with the battery so you end up buying a new set.

But then again it's all about what kind of riding you are going to do and for how many years you intend to ride. ^_^ 

But for those rides you might look at a integrated light that has a built in battery.

That was literally one of my thoughts getting the Marvel lights. When the batteries "pack up" in a year or two, I know you offer a repacking service.

While discussing the batteries, is there a recommended period after which extremelights batteries need repacking for safety, assuming they still work seemingly fine?

One day when I'm old and rich, I'll get extremelights for my motorbike too :w00t:

Archived