[Event] Tshwane Classic

Forthelove

Impressive. [emoji106]

How was it? Fun going fast on thin wheels yes? [emoji317]

It was a total jolly! I couldn't believe what fun it was. Goodness me, from the 20km to the 25km mark I averaged 48km/h (try that on an MTB - not me!). Then on the freeway, I discovered the joy of a paceline (something I had previously only read about). I admit though that I took one look at Tom and thought, "No, hell, I'll walk up that one!". But ja, I've now got a serious addiction problem...

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I referring more to the support from the organizers, not the fact that you cant or shouldn't ride it.

Hmmm... ? [emoji16]

I was on a MTB... and it is somewhat slower that road bikes…

I know, that's why I got a road bike. That said, city slicks do help but yes, its still not a road bike.

The real heroes of this race were people like the ou tannie plugging away on her 70s Raleigh. And the very, very fat guy on his mountain bike. And the disabled guy on his hand powered recumbent. I truly, truly admired these people and their spirit. My "everyday heroes".

The real heroes of this race were people like the ou tannie plugging away on her 70s Raleigh. And the very, very fat guy on his mountain bike. And the disabled guy on his hand powered recumbent. I truly, truly admired these people and their spirit. My "everyday heroes".

There was a guy who came up Tom Jenkins not too long after the first Vets batches, and absolutely FLEW up Tom Jenkins, with only one leg. We were all absolutely stunned, and he must have received the biggest cheer of anyone going up that hill. It was amazing. I really couldn't believe it.

There was a guy who came up Tom Jenkins not too long after the first Vets batches, and absolutely FLEW up Tom Jenkins, with only one leg. We were all absolutely stunned, and he must have received the biggest cheer of anyone going up that hill. It was amazing. I really couldn't believe it.

Ja but that is because he is so light with only one that its easy to go up the hill :whistling: 

Edited by s14phoenix

Ozzie from Cyclelab Pretoria.  

The guy is a machine on the bike.   :thumbup:

• 7 months later...

Revised Route for the Tshwane Classic.

http://tshwaneclassic.co.za/2019-bestmed-tshwane-classic-new-city-route-unveiled/?fbclid=IwAR0dWsJj5Q1VRSPLudw3vdcY0gjRKDNtlFW0m2QtTXVQMLLtJrKwMQ5mKMM

Important change is the simplified race finish:

"The race carries on with Visagie all the way to Schubart Street (R101) where cyclists do a left turn. Schubart Street runs into Kgosi Mampuru II street, past the prison with the same name. Cyclists then take the R101 Trichardt Road off-ramp shortly after the prison towards the Monument.The last left turn is the off-ramp onto Roger Dyson and the race finishes on the off-ramp climb before the left turn into Roger Dyson. Roger Dyson becomes Eufees Road and constitutes a neutral zone in the yellow lane for riders back to the Monument for drinks and medals"

I'm definitely in for this one. :clap:

post-27827-0-94152100-1561027228_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Some updates for those on the fence. Entries close on Thursday I believe.

Reroute of inner city after 2-month Impact study:

The Bestmed Tshwane Classic city route section has undergone some final tweaks following a two-month traffic impact study and a final comprehensive Metro Police dry run which took place last week. This has led to the race now detouring the congested bits of the inner-city and taxi hotspots.

No Tom Jenkins for Short course:

Good news for 50km riders is that Tom Jenkins has been taken out of their course. The 50km takes the same city routing but cuts out Soutpansberg Way and the Union Buildings, going directly from Vermeulen onto Stanza Bopape street where they re-join the 98km route.

“We’ve been inundated by riders who have asked us whether we would consider removing the Tom Jenkins ascent from the short route,” said Meyer.

At R385 for the long route, I believe this is a decent value proposition.

98km route with the revised routing from Union buildings to the finish shown.

The 50km route on their website is still the old one, will share once it is updated.

post-27827-0-74768700-1571035706_thumb.png

Some updates for those on the fence. Entries close on Thursday I believe.

Reroute of inner city after 2-month Impact study:

The Bestmed Tshwane Classic city route section has undergone some final tweaks following a two-month traffic impact study and a final comprehensive Metro Police dry run which took place last week. This has led to the race now detouring the congested bits of the inner-city and taxi hotspots.

No Tom Jenkins for Short course:

Good news for 50km riders is that Tom Jenkins has been taken out of their course. The 50km takes the same city routing but cuts out Soutpansberg Way and the Union Buildings, going directly from Vermeulen onto Stanza Bopape street where they re-join the 98km route.

“We’ve been inundated by riders who have asked us whether we would consider removing the Tom Jenkins ascent from the short route,” said Meyer.

At R385 for the long route, I believe this is a decent value proposition.

I still want revenge on Tom Jenkins after I had to walk it last year, was considering doing the short one just for the climb, guess I will have to do the long one now.

Plenty of Metro Police are going to be out to control traffic on the day. I suspect that traffic control is close to the number 1 expense on an event like this...:

For those of you who have been wondering how many Tshwane Metro Police officers are on duty on race day, here you go. A total of 499 officers will look after safe passage for cyclists on 3 November, and this is just on the city section of the route.

post-27827-0-34533200-1571043694_thumb.png

I tried to build the route on Strava Segment Builder.

It gave me some hassles on the Pelindaba highway, so I had to do a Manual routing there, don't know if this will create issues on the day.

I find this handy to load this on my computer and then have it scroll through my metrics and an elevation plot of the route to give me a heads-up of the climbs that are coming up.

Let me know if I need to tweak the route somewhere.

https://www.strava.com/routes/22316543

PS. Tom Jenkins is again going to be a killer with 83km already on the legs.

Tshwane Classic 2019 98km route.gpx

Forecast from a week out looks somewhat favourable.

-Rain predicted for the preceding 3 days, nothing for the day itself

-Relatively cool temps, considering what we had this past weekend

-Could be windy, which would split the groups on the way back from Pelindaba.

Getting excited now

post-27827-0-53955800-1572253198_thumb.png

I see I have to trek all the way from the East Rand to Pta North to collect my number on Sat morning.

WTF!!!

I will collect mine in Centurion during the week, 5min drive from my place of work. I can collect for you if you'd like and hand it to you on Sunday at the Start?

PS. But I do agree we need to get organisers to rethink the physical number collection, I have your issue with the 947 number collection.