[Event] Tshwane Classic

Forthelove

Number collection is kind of a conundrum, in that it's not as easy as the majority of people think. I'm not going to debate it on this thread, but would be happy to explain things from neutral perspective I have from seeing how things work behind the scenes.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Number collection is kind of a conundrum, in that it's not as easy as the majority of people think. I'm not going to debate it on this thread, but would be happy to explain things from neutral perspective I have from seeing how things work behind the scenes.

I appreciate that there are currently things that make it difficult to NOT have any physical number collection ahead of time, but in this day and age we can surely figure something out that solves the concerns of all involved. Especially for non-elite groups. People who want a physical number can still go get one at number collection, but create a solution for out-of-towners.

I can board an airplane these days without an actual printed ticket, surely I can get into a start-pen of my local fun-ride without a printed race number.

I appreciate that there are currently things that make it difficult to NOT have any physical number collection ahead of time, but in this day and age we can surely figure something out that solves the concerns of all involved. Especially for non-elite groups. People who want a physical number can still go get one at number collection, but create a solution for out-of-towners.

I can board an airplane these days without an actual printed ticket, surely I can get into a start-pen of my local fun-ride without a printed race number.

Tik Tok waars @spinnekop!

The easiest is to allow collection on the morning of the event, like we (my race) have provided for, for many years. Other races don’t do it, and it seems this one doesn’t allow it either.

The easiest is to allow collection on the morning of the event, like we (my race) have provided for, for many years. Other races don’t do it, and it seems this one doesn’t allow it either.

I agree with that solution. 

It should work for most out-of-towners.

But I suspect the big motivator here is that sponsors are promised feet through their doors during number collection, which drives sales and thus puts money back in their pockets.

So supplying all riders with the option of on-the-day number collection takes possible sales revenue away from sponsors. But I think people like myself will still go to mid-week number collection if it is feasible, thus avoiding the queues on race day and the unnecessary stress. So the drop in sales revenue should be minimal.

Any idea when the seeding will be out? Think number collection starts this Wednesday?

I got a reply from their Facebook page that sms's with race numbers will be sent out later today.

Any idea when the seeding will be out? Think number collection starts this Wednesday?

The race office is Cycle Events, and they have been busy with 3-4 races in the last 2 weeks, so they follow a routine that usually starts on the Monday after the last race (yesterday). They were physically in Durban for the Amashova, then back to Joburg to concentrate on another local race. Give them a chance to get though their schedule, and you’ll receive your start time and race number in due course.

Yeah, you can collect if you are an alphabet soup rider, but not if you ride in the licensed groups. 

Strange...

I will collect mine in Centurion during the week, 5min drive from my place of work. I can collect for you if you'd like and hand it to you on Sunday at the Start?

PS. But I do agree we need to get organisers to rethink the physical number collection, I have your issue with the 947 number collection.

Thx S&A, will drop you a pm if needed.  One of my racing buddies might be able to collect!!

The race office is Cycle Events, and they have been busy with 3-4 races in the last 2 weeks, so they follow a routine that usually starts on the Monday after the last race (yesterday). They were physically in Durban for the Amashova, then back to Joburg to concentrate on another local race. Give them a chance to get though their schedule, and you’ll receive your start time and race number in due course.

O yeah forgot it is silly season for them currently, will then have a nice surprise on Wednesday worst case.

Edit: Nevermind, just got the sms. EL for my date with Tom Jenkins,

Edited by Gr3mlin131

The seeding updates are also heavily delayed. The results from Amashova, and updated seedings which would follow hasn't been posted as yet.

"Uncollected numbers for riders who can't get to registration venues will be available at the Race Village on the morning from 04h30 - 05h30"

From the seeding email sent just now

It's the Tshwane classic so obviously Tshwane will be the collection point. If you are from other side midrand then it's not Tshwane so be prepared to come to Tshwane to collect your number. It will only consume 3 hours of your Strava to come get your number so it won't effect your PB. O and P.S read the mail if you can't collect at the Tshwane collection points you can collect on race morning at the race village. So pukker up and enjoy the ride. See all you AL's there