[Event] Tshwane Classic

Forthelove

I'm about to start on part 3

Part 1 read very much like a conspiracy theory, but part 2 shed some good light on the matter.

Just read all the parts.

They do raise some interesting points and the fact that the drink x amount per hour studies have been sponsored by Gatorade does ring some alarm bells.

I guess the conclusion to all of this is listen to your body, drink when needed.

For me, the drinking fluids is also to feed the body as I find it difficult to eat whilst riding, so getting my food in liquid form helps.

I've never been able to do the whole 500-750ml per hour thing though, I just cant seem to drink that amount whilst riding.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been able to do the whole 500-750ml per hour thing though, I just cant seem to drink that amount whilst riding.

You have to force the drinking bit sometimes. Especially in cooler weather, expecially in a race.  I went of for a 90min ride last night - hardish tempo ride and I had a sip once.  Temp abt 21 deg C

On the other extreme - I rode from Koffiefontein to Vanderkloof in Dec '18.  Midday ride  = 48 deg C on my Polar.  I ran on 1000ml per 20-30min (it was frozen at the start) and after 90m I had to call my wife to bring me more.  I was a wreck!!

I have my Garmin set to "scream" at me every 15min during an activity as a reminder to drink something ...  Eventually the body gets used to that drinking interval and you'll find that you beat the reminder to it ...

I have my Garmin set to "scream" at me every 15min during an activity as a reminder to drink something ...  Eventually the body gets used to that drinking interval and you'll find that you beat the reminder to it ...

I just drink when I'm thirsty. Same effect.

You have to force the drinking bit sometimes. Especially in cooler weather, expecially in a race. I went of for a 90min ride last night - hardish tempo ride and I had a sip once. Temp abt 21 deg C

On the other extreme - I rode from Koffiefontein to Vanderkloof in Dec '18. Midday ride = 48 deg C on my Polar. I ran on 1000ml per 20-30min (it was frozen at the start) and after 90m I had to call my wife to bring me more. I was a wreck!!

48 degrees must be approaching the limits of endurance for the average cyclist.

48 degrees must be approaching the limits of endurance for the average cyclist.

Agree

The year before I rode the same route, same time of year, cooler at 42 deg, and I was just fine.  Still drank a lot, but I didn't fall off a cliff halfway.

I just drink when I'm thirsty. Same effect.

So, I think it depends upon the individual. I am one of those blokes – and it is actually quite a common condition – that doesn't at first realise that he is thirsty. It's something I actually need to think about; by the time I realise that I am thirsty, I am actually pretty far down the ladder already. So for me, it works better to have a sort of timeframe within which to think about drinking. So on a hot day, I will reach for my bottle little bit more during the course of an hour. Et cetera. It's more a function of mindfulness and awareness than actually forcing yourself to drink what you don't need. A bit of a confusing explanation but I hope it makes some kind of sense.

You have to force the drinking bit sometimes. Especially in cooler weather, expecially in a race.  I went of for a 90min ride last night - hardish tempo ride and I had a sip once.  Temp abt 21 deg C

On the other extreme - I rode from Koffiefontein to Vanderkloof in Dec '18.  Midday ride  = 48 deg C on my Polar.  I ran on 1000ml per 20-30min (it was frozen at the start) and after 90m I had to call my wife to bring me more.  I was a wreck!!

My wife would have told me where to get off

My wife would have told me where to get off

We were on holiday and VDK is out in the sticks. So all very chilled

Apart from her and my son being super supportive, they understood my crazy behaviour to ride in that kind of weather. And the implications if dehydrated severely..

Edited by Underachiever

Word on the "street" is that Tom Jenkins and the section through the CDB are out of the race...

This would make sense as the amount of cops they needed for all those road closures were quite allot. We are probably going to roll out in moving road-closures, with a lead JMPD motorbike and a car behind each bunch(The car doesn't have to be a cop, in my mind). 

IIRC the bunches can't be larger than 50, so that will be 10 motorbikes, in total.

Sticking to the less congested "backroads", a couple of route change options available, it could look something like this:

(Most likely to be shorter than the original 98km total distance)

post-27827-0-98281500-1603343287_thumb.png

Ja, on a bleed-through-your-eyeballs race like 947 in November, 2x full bottles is actually cutting it very fine... Last year I did an F1 style splash and dash at the entrance to Kyalami, my bottlecap was already open and the guys were pouring before I had even come to a complete stop.I was already dropped from the main bunch, so was worth it to stop and top-up.

On my last 94.7 I was pulling the bunch up Malibongwe, and turning on to Witkoppen I took a sip of water and dropped my bottle. I didn’t want to lose the bunch after work hard to get there, to make one bottle last till the end of the race.

When it’s absolutely necessary, your body adapts well. I continued to drink throughout the remaining 60+ km, but just small sips

Word on the "street" is that Tom Jenkins and the section through the CDB are out of the race...

This would make sense as the amount of cops they needed for all those road closures were quite allot. We are probably going to roll out in moving road-closures, with a lead JMPD motorbike and a car behind each bunch(The car doesn't have to be a cop, in my mind). 

IIRC the bunches can't be larger than 50, so that will be 10 motorbikes, in total.

Sticking to the less congested "backroads", a couple of route change options available, it could look something like this:

(Most likely to be shorter than the original 98km total distance)

A bit of a relief and bit of disappointment.

Relief that I wont have to struggle up TJ, but disappointment in that I've never done the race and it would have been interesting to test my new found fitness up TJ.

A bit of a relief and bit of disappointment.

Relief that I wont have to struggle up TJ, but disappointment in that I've never done the race and it would have been interesting to test my new found fitness up TJ.

It would be sad to lose TJ.

The racing will then be a lot different

Obviously this is still to be confirmed, let's wait for the official confirmation. 10 days to-go, we should be seeing some communications flowing shortly.