[Event] Tshwane Classic

Forthelove

First time ever I've attended a race with no moto marshalls. Did have 1 or 2 cars from the back making a scene. 

Yes, the dusty venue is unwelcome. 

But all in all a sufficiently challenging route, but I won't easily do it again. Travelling over 150km for a 88km race? 

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, ouzo said:

Another thought that I was thinking during the race and has just come back to me.

Its time for organisers to start thinking about handlebar regulations again.

I didnt look at the rules so not sure if there was something in there or not, but a few potentially dangerous things I saw.

Lady with tri bars - she wasnt causing any issues when I saw her, but very well could have in close quarters

Gravel Bars - went passed a gent with serious flare on the drops, I could see someone snagging themselves when passing

Wide MTB bars, normally they dont bother me, but one guy had bars so wide it looked like he was holding a broom stick, made even worse by the fact that he was holding the bars rather close to the stem

Just a question re flair handlebars. SO instead of perhaps training people to learn to ride in bunches and be aware of their surroundings the issue is some width on bars.

Reason i bring this up is during the R2tS i had so many half wheelrs that had no clue so now we want to punish the few for the stupidity of the many?

I ride all 3 and make allowances for what i ride and when i ride it.

Just do cradle on a weekend end and see how many people have no idea of, basic rules, courtesy and how to pass. Same comes up during MTB races. Some snot nose shouting track at me going uphill becuase he is 12kg  and then he has no technical skill going down hill and i politely ask. Passing right when it is safe or saying to them then if there is a gap il pass.

#Askingforafriend

#asking for a friend

Reason

27 minutes ago, Spy007 said:

Just a question re flair handlebars. SO instead of perhaps training people to learn to ride in bunches and be aware of their surroundings the issue is some width on bars.

Reason i bring this up is during the R2tS i had so many half wheelrs that had no clue so now we want to punish the few for the stupidity of the many?

I ride all 3 and make allowances for what i ride and when i ride it.

Just do cradle on a weekend end and see how many people have no idea of, basic rules, courtesy and how to pass. Same comes up during MTB races. Some snot nose shouting track at me going uphill becuase he is 12kg  and then he has no technical skill going down hill and i politely ask. Passing right when it is safe or saying to them then if there is a gap il pass.

#Askingforafriend

#asking for a friend

Reason

For sure, the issue is a 2 way street. But we are generally riding with complete amateurs here, i.e. very dodgy bike handling skills, not so great in a bunch and unpredictable. (this is the people with the handlebar weapons and those riding around them)

I very much doubt anything will be done from either side to make the situation better, I just felt these were a few potentially dangerous situations.

But if we want to go down the rabbit hole there are plenty more than can be listed.

Was a big crash in B batch at 30km mark. This resulted in the size of the batch being halved whereafter it all got a bit more comfortable.

Guess we have all forgotten how to ride in big batches

Edited by Ossie NL

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, BouncingBrain said:

I see it's now back to 111km. Any1 know if this is confirmed? 

Officially on the website, route map also reflects 111km. As good a confirmation we can have right now methinks. 

Screenshot_2021-10-23-12-11-13-195_com.android.chrome.jpg

15 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

Officially on the website, route map also reflects 111km. As good a confirmation we can have right now methinks. 

Screenshot_2021-10-23-12-11-13-195_com.android.chrome.jpg

Elevation gain?

1 hour ago, BouncingBrain said:

Elevation gain?

Nothing written about the total gain, but this gives you an idea of the terrain. 

92km-profile-e1634131508960.png

Will there be full road closure?

The vision of the Tshwane Classic was to present Tshwane’s version of the Cape Town Cycle Tour and Ride 947 in a traffic free environment, courtesy of significant buy-in from the Tshwane Local Government.

2 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Gonna be my first race on a road bike ever. I'm moving over to the Dark Side for a few days ????

My first road bike event was on those roads...

Free tip: read up on how to ride echelons, it might just come in handy. 

5 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

My first road bike event was on those roads...

Free tip: read up on how to ride echelons, it might just come in handy. 

Thank you for the tip ????. I just heard: My road bike may be sold before the race ????????????????. 112km on a mtb may be quite slow going ????