Swimmers and how to deal with them

Jaws677

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about walkers?????????????? There is a jog/walk club group thing(Sorry didn't get the name that's printed on their high vis jackets) that walk passed my house every Tuesday morning around 09h30 and every Thursday afternoon around 17h00. They are mostly old people. Now my problem is they walking and walking is slow so lets say a cyclist takes 2 seconds to pass between my two side walls and a runner takes 5 seconds to cover the same distance, these old walkers take like 10 seconds. This 10 seconds is enough to get my dogs running and barking like mad at them. Then they don't even walk in 1 group, they are split up over about a 2 or 3 min gap. So for like 3 minutes twice a week my dogs charge up and down my driveway barking(My front wall is palisade so the walkers and dogs get a perfect look at each other). The dogs don't slow down every time they get to the wall and simply jump up against it and do some swimming style tumble turn and charge off again. My walls have paw prints on them. How do I deal with these walkers? Do I "accidentally" open my gate and get them running? Do I keep the dogs inside and have them bark and cry at the front door?

So an honest question to do with swimmers who swim on a killer wave ...

I'm sure this question has probably been discussed at length on bikehub, but I'm new on here and curious about what the etiquette is.

So some context first...

I don't mind if a swimmer is going against the current for their own safety, and am happy to share the sea. But I have noticed a tendency (when I surf and when I go hitting the wave with my board) for groups of swimmers to swim two to three abreast taking up most of the wave. If they swim single file when a surfer comes along, I'd have no issue sharing the wave with them and even greeting... but they seem to take pleasure in forcing us surfers wide. This happens a lot on my daily wave session (especially Thursdays when a local running swim club is out en masse) and at one of my preferred surfing spots.. On one occasion a large group (didn't get the name of their club) was swimming four to five abreast down a 16ft wave forcing me off the wave !!!

It seems a little inconsiderate if you are swimming against the oncoming waves, and can see what is coming up behind a surfer, that you still force the surfer into the middle of the wave, or the oncoming wave when as far as I know, by law, you shouldn't even be on the wave... Is that assumption right or have I got this all horribly wrong?

Key problem highlighted in bold..

the law allows both to be on the wave.

However if the swimmer is swimming out toward the break it is their duty to avoid a vehicle on the wave.

the physics of surfing requires different rules when compared to driving your surfboard transportation device.

Do you have  a valid license to operate a surfboard? If not I suggest you revert back to boogie boarding asap