Swimmers and how to deal with them

Jaws677

So an honest question to do with swimmers who swim on a killer wave ...

I'm sure this question has probably been discussed at length on bikehub, but I'm new on here and curious about what the etiquette is.

So some context first...

I don't mind if a swimmer is going against the current for their own safety, and am happy to share the sea. But I have noticed a tendency (when I surf and when I go hitting the wave with my board) for groups of swimmers to swim two to three abreast taking up most of the wave. If they swim single file when a surfer comes along, I'd have no issue sharing the wave with them and even greeting... but they seem to take pleasure in forcing us surfers wide. This happens a lot on my daily wave session (especially Thursdays when a local running swim club is out en masse) and at one of my preferred surfing spots.. On one occasion a large group (didn't get the name of their club) was swimming four to five abreast down a 16ft wave forcing me off the wave !!!

It seems a little inconsiderate if you are swimming against the oncoming waves, and can see what is coming up behind a surfer, that you still force the surfer into the middle of the wave, or the oncoming wave when as far as I know, by law, you shouldn't even be on the wave... Is that assumption right or have I got this all horribly wrong?

Edited by Jaws677

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting indeed...I am a scuba diver . ONLY... I abhor swimming on top of the water..

When underwater I am acutely aware of ANY swimmers in the water. not too difficult to catch them splashing around. I always let them swim overhead and with a greeting along the lines of 'bbbbbllllloooooooggggmmmmm' 

Recently I have acquired a sexy speedo and myself enjoy swimming the open waters.... AND...many of the deep seas I swim off my island I have 'stolen' from the swim/runners of Torpedo.

So as to surfers, STOP being CHOPS and let the swimmers go on safely... very easy to sit on your board OR fall off BUT then again boards don't seem that nimble it seems... hehe... maybe they should spend some time under the water.

It's well known that dolphins and sharks have the right of way. Swimmers, surfers and boogey boarders are all illegal users of the sea and need to make way for them.

P.s. don't get me started on those pesky body surfers who can't decide if they are surfers or swimmers

Everyone in the water is defined as a surfer, so even though you might feel high and mighty on your board, you still have to give them space...

The fact that they take the crappie waves of the set most of the time is actually them trying to be considerate, but you have to give them space on the waves just like if they were a surfer, even though they don't have boards and are slower than you...

The fact that they swim in bunches also means they take up less waves that way, but your closed surfer mind doesn't think about that, does it?

You surfers always think you are so protected on your fancy fibreglass planks when swimmers are totally unprotected, just enjoying their sport...

Theres no panic... Just give them the wave... If it was a shark you would have to wait anyway so just relax...

Does a fish on a bicycle need a woman who's a man .... no wait ... Does a woman on a bicycle need a fish who is a man ..... no ... erm ... And a woman needs a fish likes a man needs a bicycle ... J#sus .. no .. agh ....

It's well known that dolphins and sharks have the right of way. Swimmers, surfers and boogey boarders are all illegal users of the sea and need to make way for them.

P.s. don't get me started on those pesky body surfers who can't decide if they are surfers or swimmers

If there are sharks, they can have the water... I'll go trail running, no wait maybe road running.... ag what the hell I'll ride my bike....

So an honest question to do with swimmers who swim on a killer wave ...

I'm sure this question has probably been discussed at length on bikehub, but I'm new on here and curious about what the etiquette is.

So some context first...

I don't mind if a swimmer is going against the current for their own safety, and am happy to share the sea. But I have noticed a tendency (when I surf and when I go hitting the wave with my board) for groups of swimmers to swim two to three abreast taking up most of the wave. If they swim single file when a surfer comes along, I'd have no issue sharing the wave with them and even greeting... but they seem to take pleasure in forcing us surfers wide. This happens a lot on my daily wave session (especially Thursdays when a local running swim club is out en masse) and at one of my preferred surfing spots.. On one occasion a large group (didn't get the name of their club) was swimming four to five abreast down a 16ft wave forcing me off the wave !!!

It seems a little inconsiderate if you are swimming against the oncoming waves, and can see what is coming up behind a surfer, that you still force the surfer into the middle of the wave, or the oncoming wave when as far as I know, by law, you shouldn't even be on the wave... Is that assumption right or have I got this all horribly wrong?

Swimming down a 16 ft wave ????

Where do you surf ????‍♂️

this ..and they are also handy for people who come on a CYCLING forum and ask about swimmers :ph34r:

post-85316-0-57448300-1539962038.jpg

Edited by bikebloke

OMG! Don't get me started on SUPs. Talk about entitled. They are the roadies of the aquatic world. Below, as impossible as it seems, body boarders...

.. On one occasion a large group (didn't get the name of their club) was swimming four to five abreast down a 16ft wave forcing me off the wave !!!

That's where you lost me !!

For various reasons.

As funny as this is, why troll the new member?

419 posts is hardly a new member.

He's almost halfway to rouxtjie'ing.

Edited by porqui

As funny as this is, why troll the new member?

because this a cycling forum not a swimming forum and its friday so its also pineapple time :thumbup:^^^^see above for details

#fridayonbikehub

Edited by bikebloke

That's where you lost me !!

For various reasons.

419 posts is hardly a new member.

He's almost halfway to rouxtjie'ing.

You must not know or realise -  this is a troll of a thread made by a new member asking about runners. Effectively the same thread with every runner reference replaced by swimmers.