Rider down R27. Please help identify cyclist

ivan888

An iphone wouldn't be much use in a crash...... IF (a big if) it survived the fall, the battery would probably die before anyone managed to press the button 5 times :ph34r:

please ascertain yourself of the facts before you attempt to troll in a serious thread

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A wrist band with all contact details

Like this one I got through the PPA. Really high quality buckle / fastener thingie. Soft rubber band, comfortable to wear. No excuse not to, ESPECIALLY when I ride alone. Also carry my medical aid membership card and a single R100 note for emergencies like low blood caffeine.

post-17716-0-55509800-1540710179_thumb.jpg

Newish Iphones you can save emergency contact in health and when you press lock button 5 times the details pop up and you can set it to even autodial the number..

Not sure how android works..

Just checked this on my iPhone 8 now. The lock screen has an medical emergency icon which when pressed brings up my name, weight age and spouse contact details.

Edit: Played around a bit more. You can actually add quite an impressive amount of data to the screen such as allergies, blood type, medication etc. Also on my phone rapidly pressing the side button five times will start the emergency call.

Edited by Ronniek

Just checked this on my iPhone 8 now. The lock screen has an medical emergency icon which when pressed brings up my name, weight age and spouse contact details.

Additional to this I also have my ICE details as the wallpaper on my lock screen. So a glance at my phone will give 2 emergency contacts as well as my medical aid details.

I've also heard of people having a "business card" with personal details inside their helmet. 

Not 100% because after an accident someone might not want to remove your helmet, but a step you can take anyway.

Newish Iphones you can save emergency contact in health and when you press lock button 5 times the details pop up and you can set it to even autodial the number..

Not sure how android works..

Samsung has Emergency Contacts on lock screen. You can make a call to them without unlocking. It has been used for me once after I suffered a concussion.

Really really sad. I know this doesn’t help but please guys.....wear an ID bracelet or some form of identification.

I disagree, it definitely does help and should be as compulsory as a helmet I think. Even when I am in a big group ride I still wear my ICE bracelet. It's just part of my kit now. Even if my phone does get stolen, hopefully, the right people will see the details on my arm.

Hope the rider has a full recovery.

I disagree, it definitely does help and should be as compulsory as a helmet I think. Even when I am in a big group ride I still wear my ICE bracelet. It's just part of my kit now. Even if my phone does get stolen, hopefully, the right people will see the details on my arm.

Hope the rider has a full recovery.

Think you misinterpreted my post. I’m absolutely advocating the use of an ID bracket or equivalent.

I'm a member of the ASTM (American Society of Testing & Materials) helmet committee, the helmet standards organization in the US. This organization makes helmets standards for skiing, cycling, hockey, etc., No cycling helmet is made to prevent concussions. Period

I saw a lone cyclist head out that way earlier today at the R27 Bigbay intersection. He was not wearing a helmet. I commented on how stupid he was to do that, and on that road.

I pray it was not the same guy, but I have a serious suspicion it is him. Bike looks familiar.

bdq71fPV_normal.jpeg

[url=https://twitter.com/RecreationLaw]Jim Moss@RecreationLaw[/color

I'm a member of the ASTM (American Society of Testing & Materials) helmet committee, the helmet standards organization in the US. This organization makes helmets standards for skiing, cycling, hockey, etc., No cycling helmet is made to prevent concussions. Period

So you will still get a concussion if you wearing a helmet, but will the severity of the concussion be reduced by wearing said skid lid ?

Edited by Coolspin

Think you misinterpreted my post. I’m absolutely advocating the use of an ID bracket or equivalent.

I don't think I did but I perhaps didn't word my response very well... We are both on the same page though. ID is essential.

The concept of carrying ICE details intrigue me. Where/how do you wear it? Decal on helmet?

This thread made me order a new ID bracelet, as the clasp on my old one actually broke a while back. I see they now have new designs as well, one of which clips onto the strap of your helmet, which is pretty clever.

This time I ordered a wrist one made of velcro not rubber, and it has reflective stitching sewn in so keen to see what it looks like when it arrives.