CSA fining members for riding choc mtb

Furbz

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What help would the organisers of the Spur series need from CSA?

Im not sure, but that a very different question than the one I was asking isn't it?

Im not sure, but that a very different question than the one I was asking isn't it?

Schools cycling got off the ground very much on their own steam and by their own efforts and if I understand the past correctly, relations with CSA have not always been that rosy. I understand that things have changed and at CGC we talk regularly and see where we can align our efforts when it comes to youth cycling. We have had to make the effort o attend schools cycling events and to understand how they operate and the incredible momentum that they have at schools cycling.

There is a common goal to develop youth cycling in SA. Guys get together here in our region talk about development, see where we (CGC) can support or where efforts can be aligned. It is a schools program and very much outside of the sphere of CSA and UCI. Our rules do not apply and that is mostly a good thing.

I do not think that Schools cycling needs CSA as such, but they are also not silly about things and understand that we all have a common goal and can help each other and should not exist completely in isolation.

You should talk to the CSA rep in your region or the local schools cycling body in your region there may be a lot more happening behind the scenes than what you are aware of.

IMO CSA and cycling in SA is learning and benefiting a lot from schools cycling. That is a good thing and should allow CSA to focus their limited resources on Junior and elite development.

CSA regions are however still very focused on the youth and development and my region spends a big part of its resources on youth development, coaching etc. Most regions have a form of youth program besides what happens at schools level. There is a lot more that can be done, and the programs are very much driven by individuals within the Exco and associated clubs. No there is not a master plan that is being delivered and driven from national level.

This cant be the official site for CGC ? One of the biggest provinces, most riders and races.

https://cgcycling.co.za/

Had a look at athletics CGA site to compare

http://www.centralgautengathletics.co.za/index.php

I then went to Athletics South Africa and whoa, what a difference between them and the CSA lot.

https://www.athletics.org.za/

Hi Scotty

This is a new site as the previous one was costing us a bunch of money and not much was happening. We will gladly accept the services of an individual that is willing to run the web site and post regular content. This needs to be a free service of course.

If you need any CGC info, just email us at admin@cgcycling.co.za

or call Deneye at 011 782 1393

Schools cycling got off the ground very much on their own steam and by their own efforts and if I understand the past correctly, relations with CSA have not always been that rosy. I understand that things have changed and at CGC we talk regularly and see where we can align our efforts when it comes to youth cycling. We have had to make the effort o attend schools cycling events and to understand how they operate and the incredible momentum that they have at schools cycling.

There is a common goal to develop youth cycling in SA. Guys get together here in our region talk about development, see where we (CGC) can support or where efforts can be aligned. It is a schools program and very much outside of the sphere of CSA and UCI. Our rules do not apply and that is mostly a good thing.

I do not think that Schools cycling needs CSA as such, but they are also not silly about things and understand that we all have a common goal and can help each other and should not exist completely in isolation.

You should talk to the CSA rep in your region or the local schools cycling body in your region there may be a lot more happening behind the scenes than what you are aware of.

IMO CSA and cycling in SA is learning and benefiting a lot from schools cycling. That is a good thing and should allow CSA to focus their limited resources on Junior and elite development.

CSA regions are however still very focused on the youth and development and my region spends a big part of its resources on youth development, coaching etc. Most regions have a form of youth program besides what happens at schools level. There is a lot more that can be done, and the programs are very much driven by individuals within the Exco and associated clubs. No there is not a master plan that is being delivered and driven from national level.

Is there any plan anywhere?

We are incredibly lucky to have a sponsor like Spur that has made a long-term commitment to mtb at schools level. Now we just need someone to step up to the plate with regards to road (criterium racing) and track and the future of cycling in SA should be rosy again. You will have to go a long way to find an organization that has as much clout and momentum as schools cycling has. 

This cant be the official site for CGC ? One of the biggest provinces, most riders and races.

https://cgcycling.co.za/

Had a look at athletics CGA site to compare

http://www.centralgautengathletics.co.za/index.php

I then went to Athletics South Africa and whoa, what a difference between them and the CSA lot.

https://www.athletics.org.za/

I also went to Central Gauteng Athletics and right at the top of their latest news you will find:

2017 City 2 City Marathon Cancelled

Maybe regions should rather not have their own web sites, what do you think?

Personally I prefer communicating on this kind of platform.

I have made so many friends here :ph34r:

Still haven't heard of any other countries fining riders under rule 1.2.019, maybe it's because of our legislation?

speaking of old things. check out this interview with mr CSA from 5 years ago.

http://www.treadmtb.co.za/beer-with-mike-bradley-general-manager-csa/

What are the benefits for a mountain bike event to be on the CSA calendar?

In terms of legislation (Sports and Recreational Events Safety Act and the Sport Act), any sporting activity, including recreational activity that falls within a sporting code, has to apply through the controlling body of that sport to host an event. Irrespective of the Act, if Cycling SA did nothing in terms of hosting a calendar of events, with some form of organisational structure, there would be total anarchy with events falling on the same weekend – thereby by depleting entries for events and resulting in less events actually be hosted.

Hi Scotty

This is a new site as the previous one was costing us a bunch of money and not much was happening. We will gladly accept the services of an individual that is willing to run the web site and post regular content. This needs to be a free service of course.

If you need any CGC info, just email us at admin@cgcycling.co.za

or call Deneye at 011 782 1393

Way OT: 

In this day and age, anyone that still say website cost money need to google a bit.

You can setup a site, and maintain it yourself for R 750 per YEAR (R60/month).    It takes 15 minutes to copy paste new article every now and again.  Might take you about 2 hrs to setup whole site at beginning.

You don't need flashy sites, you need neat site with up to date content, this don't cost money, just take small bit of time.

Edit:   If you don't have the R750 .. I'm sure I can accommodate you with year or two of free hosting, drop me pm

I also went to Central Gauteng Athletics and right at the top of their latest news you will find:

2017 City 2 City Marathon Cancelled

Maybe regions should rather not have their own web sites, what do you think?

Personally I prefer communicating on this kind of platform.

I have made so many friends here :ph34r:

Why not just use the existing social media platforms to communicate with members and the site as a landing resource for information. 

They don't need an expensive marketing team, but they desperately need positive PR.

Sending out a (not ambitious) plan is important to make them accountable, and to measure success and failure.  It's also important to get people like me to stop complaining about what they don't do because they can say "yes, but we're short on money, and this we did do."

It's extremely important to get the PR out precisely because of past problems.  Because things were hidden.

Don't say "we're going to ban everything"

Say "we're going to check bikes to level the playing field"

Don't say "we're fining every race"

Say "sanctioned races have extra safety"

Don't say "where's your money"

Say "contribute to a commissaire for the juniors"

Don't say "hand it over"

Say "thank you"

Just advertise which commissaire was at what race last month.  And how many disputes they resolved.  Why they are there.  Make themselves visible.

Anyway, I need to stop commenting on this thread.  It's not good for my health.  Just wanted to close with constructive criticism.

The most logicial comment, 100%

Way OT: 

In this day and age, anyone that still say website cost money need to google a bit.

You can setup a site, and maintain it yourself for R 750 per YEAR (R60/month).    It takes 15 minutes to copy paste new article every now and again.  Might take you about 2 hrs to setup whole site at beginning.

You don't need flashy sites, you need neat site with up to date content, this don't cost money, just take small bit of time.

Edit:   If you don't have the R750 .. I'm sure I can accommodate you with year or two of free hosting, drop me pm

That is what we have, still needs someone to do the work. Very easy couple of hours per month. You volunteering?

That is what we have, still needs someone to do the work. Very easy couple of hours per month. You volunteering?

Why do you need volunteers when there is a massive EXCO who can do it themselves?

Archived