Kid (and family) friendly trails - Western Cape

ChrisF

Bloemendal is a nice option for the family.

Meerendal remains or favorite venue ....

Contermanskloof is also nice (the shorter loop)

Hazendal is okay for kids ... but watching them ride is only fun for so long ...

Problem is that most of these trails are closed this weekend for a range of other activities.

Would love to hear what other venues you enjoy with your kids - in this case a 7 year old that is perfectly up to 15km rides.  The odd steep climb is not too much of an issue.

Copperhead's post actually reminded me of the nice trail in Somerset West, where the SPUR League was held.

Can make a nice pick-nick and take the wife with ...

Hazendal on Bottelary road.

We have completed  two new  features at  the Hazendal Bike Park this week. 

On the  Snail Trail you can test your steering and balance abilities on this short but testing trail. Can you get around without putting a foot down.?

post-4890-0-13047200-1542210944_thumb.jpg

The Fynbos Trail, aka the Red Mamba, a 350m trail made of recycled pallets complete with wooden rollers, is a fun feature for all the family!

post-4890-0-77788400-1542210965_thumb.jpg

The 5 km route also received some attention.

Hazendal will open up the upgraded restaurant and bistro facilities around middle December.  There will also be shower facilities for cyclists.

Spice Route has loops of different distances. R60 for a day pass. There is a kids loop, and I think I saw them busy building a pump track for the kids. Take him on the 10km or 20km loop. If he still has energy left, let him do a lap or two on the 5km while you klap a few CBC's and watch him in the distance.

https://hero-adventure.co.za/trails/hero-adventure-spice-route-3/

Dankie Johan

This looks very nice !!

We have completed  two new  features at  the Hazendal Bike Park this week. 

On the  Snail Trail you can test your steering and balance abilities on this short but testing trail. Can you get around without putting a foot down.?

attachicon.gifSnail.jpg

The Fynbos Trail, aka the Red Mamba, a 350m trail made of recycled pallets complete with wooden rollers, is a fun feature for all the family!

attachicon.gifFynbos.jpg

The 5 km route also received some attention.

Hazendal will open up the upgraded restaurant and bistro facilities around middle December.  There will also be shower facilities for cyclists.

We actually used your old trails, before you closed for renovations.

I know you have an excellent pump track for the kids .... but what do you have in terms of 5, 10 or 15km rides ?  Or is your aim squarely on the kids ?  I do recall previously you advertised it as such ....

We actually live close to Hazendal ... but drive all the way to the Durbanville trails to get to "family oriented" venues.  For US such a venue must have a place where my wife can have a coffee while we ride (no use if the coffee shop opens at 10:00...), nice to do Bloemendal or Meerendal with the 7-year old.   Only "downside" with Bloemendal .... then Maritz wants to ride the pump track again and again and again ..... not much fun for the rest of the family ... :)  We compromise in that we do a three laps of B Spot, then he can have some time on the pump track.

@ ChrisF

The bike park is family orientated - no jumps, drop-offs, etc., but with a variety of trail options and features.   Most of the visitors are families who come and ride with their kids, but there are also a fair number of adult riders who have just started MTB'ing and want to hone their skills. 

If Maritz likes riding the B-Spot, he would love the flow trail that is part of the park at Hazendal.  As far as distance is concerned, there is  a 5 km loop consisting mostly of single track, but also with a number of rollers and berms.

Send me a PM with your details and I will arrange complimentary tickets for you and Maritz to come and ride at Hazendal this weekend.

G Spot. & Eden. Jonkershoek Fire Hut trail (if he can handle the climb / walk to the top) & Never-ending Story. Tokai (snake trails) but that has an evil climb for a 7yo. 

Then for jumps / skills, G Land. Better for that than the skills park at HK, imo. 

Green Belts through Constantia. Mellow, flowy, undulating. Some chilled techy bits near Rhodes Drive (upper section) but nothing he shouldn't be able to do. 

G Spot. & Eden. Jonkershoek Fire Hut trail (if he can handle the climb / walk to the top) & Never-ending Story. Tokai (snake trails) but that has an evil climb for a 7yo.

Then for jumps / skills, G Land. Better for that than the skills park at HK, imo.

Green Belts through Constantia. Mellow, flowy, undulating. Some chilled techy bits near Rhodes Drive (upper section) but nothing he shouldn't be able to do.

It's better if you have a guide if you ride the stellies trails for the first time. Especially Eden.

It's better if you have a guide if you ride the stellies trails for the first time. Especially Eden.

noted  :thumbup:

Maritz has now done the full section of climbs at Meerendal, past Mine Shaft, and all the way to the second switch-back of Stairway before he had to walk.  :thumbup:   :thumbup:

I try to fit in a couple easy rides to build his confidence, then one to push him a bit further than his previous best .... trying to balance "fun" with "personal bests" (with zero pressure for personal bests) ....

• 1 year later...

This Greenbelt route, do I require Sanparks permit? and where best to start my ride? 

Im a newby :whistling:

Planning to purchase the annual Sanparks permit, just wont get to the office today to purchase