• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After you boiled the potatoes, roll them in olive oil and sprinkle some salt on. Helps for the cramps. Wrap each one in tin foil and you have an easy snack for the road.

NICE...like that olive oil trick...gonna try that...

The baby potatoes are low GI. Ordinary are quite high GI. I bake the baby ones the night before with loads of salt and a little olive oil. Wax wrap them individually. One an hour on any ride over 3 hours plus dates plus a couple of gels and maybe a piece of droewors or two if its going to be longer than 4 and a half hours.

Thanks for the replies guys...

I have also tried dates on a ride. 

They are loaded with sugars and nutrients

Another buddy of mine, freezes grapes the night before a race and says that they really help him...

He once advised me to keep frozen biltong and pretzels loose in jersey and use when needed.. wasnt too keen there

I've started doing regular 60km plus MTB rides on the weekends. Up til now the only food I've ever carried has been a couple of small bananas. A few weeks ago I tried a ziplock bag with a small handful of biltong. I'm finding that's really working for me.

We buy the garlic woolies baby potatoes, and cover them with aromat....... 

For the world funride, I pack 6, with more or less the same amount of sweet potato, and then aim for 7 hours.....

Low GI? Don't think so

There is a difference in the GI value of freshly cooked potatoes and cooked potatoes that have cooled down. This is because the starch in the potato becomes resistant and more difficult to digest after being cooked and then cooled. I think you could argue that spuds eaten the day after cooking are actually low GI. Same goes for pasta.

Low GI? Don't think so

The only potato that is low gi is the Carisma potato. Used to get it at Checkers, but have not seen it for a long time.

We buy the garlic woolies baby potatoes, and cover them with aromat....... 

For the world funride, I pack 6, with more or less the same amount of sweet potato, and then aim for 7 hours.....

Doesn't aromat contain aspartame or phenylalanine (or some similar toxic substance) in a high enough amount that it is harmful over long term use i.e. a career of cycling?

Edited by Dirkitech

There is a difference in the GI value of freshly cooked potatoes and cooked potatoes that have cooled down. This is because the starch in the potato becomes resistant and more difficult to digest after being cooked and then cooled. I think you could argue that spuds eaten the day after cooking are actually low GI. Same goes for pasta.

and oats :)

Doesn't aromat contain aspartame or phenylalanine (or some similar toxic substance) in a high enough amount that it is harmful over long term use i.e. a career of cycling?

As far as I know Aromat contains a small metric F***ton of MSG....

Stab the baby potato with a sharp knife, give the knife a turn and put a bit of Marmite into the fresh wound!   :ph34r:

:blink:

Oats for breakfast ja -- with a load of raw honey --- then, if it's a long race a bottle of electrolyte effervesced water for the car followed by a hammer gel (orange or peanutbutter or huckleberry) on the start line ....

and oats :)

Stab the baby potato with a sharp knife, give the knife a turn and put a bit of Marmite into the fresh wound!   :ph34r:

This marmite idea sounds very interesting - could go either way I feel - either a massive hell yea turbo boost of deliciousness or instant chunder ... standby - could be messy getting it out of pocket though ...