The Veganism Thread

Odinson

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Odi, generally most of your posts make sense.

But here something sits wrong. Change your diet for environmental reasons, but drink milk plants that have had stuff added to them. Stuff that must be processed and come from somewhere. Stuff that also changes the environment. So the more I look at this, the more I am not sure the environmental reasons dont all balance.

My research can be found here:

Slowbee, 2019, Journal of Hubland Vegan Thread, pgs 79. Gut Feel of Stuff and the Environment

Slowbee, you can switch to plant milks and rest easy*: 

post-62668-0-79795400-1551171708_thumb.png

post-62668-0-18798500-1551171782_thumb.png

https://sci-hub.tw/http://science.sciencemag.org/content/360/6392/987

*Not all plant miks are equal, though. As you can see, some require more input than others and have a greater overall footprint, but they pale in comparison to dairy. Oat is a good option if you want to use a low-footprint milk.  

Seeing that whe are all cyclists here , and most of as has done our share of stage races ,I’m sure ?!

Here is a quisteon to the vegans that I have wondered about .

When I finish a tough stage at a race like for example Sani2C and get to the food hall , one of the first things I look for is a glass of cold milk - chocolate or vanilla if possible , but plain also if they don’t have flavored ones .

You will almost always find milk readily available at any stage race .

And with a lot of scientific studies to back it up , l know that it is one of the best , cheapest and most available recovery drinks you can have after a tough day on the bike .No need to quote my sources on those claims , it’s common knowledge -but yea of little faith are welcome to google the studies.

So I was wondering what vegans use as a supplement to milk for their recovery drink that obviously also will have the right amount of carbs and protein to aid recovery , but also must be easy to drink , and more importantly - easy to come by at a stage race out in the sticks ?

Please let me know , and I might try your dink as an alternative at my next Race ?!

Edit : If chocolate milk was good enough as a recovery drink for my hero Burry ,,, well then it’s good enough for me ????

Edited by Milkman

Seeing that whe are all cyclists here , and most of as has done our share of stage races ,I’m sure ?!

When I finish a tough stage at a race like for example Sani2C and get to the food hall , one of the first things I look for is a glass of cold milk - chocolate or vanilla if possible , but plain also if they don’t have flavored ones .

And with a lot of scientific studies to back it up , l know that it is one of the best , cheapest and most available recovery drinks you can have after a tough day on the bike .No need to quote my sources on those claims , it’s common knowledge -but yea of little faith are welcome to google the studies.

So I was wondering what vegans use as a supplement to milk for their recovery drink that obviously also will have the right amount of carbs and protein to aid recovery , but also must be easy to drink , and more importantly - easy to come by at a stage race out in the sticks ?

Please let me know , and I might try your dink as an alternative at my next Race ?!

Edit : If chocolate milk was good enough as a recovery drink for my hero Burry ,,, well then it’s good enough for me ????

Plain milk is a relatively poor recovery drink at just over 3% protein. There are tons of vegan protein powders you can use to aid your recovery.

Plain milk is a relatively poor recovery drink at just over 3% protein. There are tons of vegan protein powders you can use to aid your recovery.

Agreed, from a pure macro point of view even non vegan athletes usually need supplements of some sort.

Milk is actually between 3 and 4 % protein ( depending on whether it's low fat or full cream ) . So around 20 grams of protein per 500 ml of full cream milk or 15 grams of low fat serving .

Herewith a list of the protein content of your more common recovery drinks per 500 ml serving :

USN Recovery  : 20,2 grams ( pro-recover ) 

Cadence Revive  :  22,6 grams  (revive )

High 5 Recovery  : 18 grams   (recovery-drink )

Biogen Recovergen : 16,7 gram ( recovergen )

Hammer Recoverite : 10 grams  (https://www.hammernutrition.com/products/recovery/recoverite)

I can go on , but I think you get the picture ?

Now ,,, what does a glass of milk cost compared to the recovery drinks ? Are they really that much better ??

Maybe there are vegan recovery drinks that are better than milk , but I don't know any of them ? I am willing to learn though .

Agreed, from a pure macro point of view even non vegan athletes usually need supplements of some sort.

I agree with you on the supplements part for the pro's .Todays pro athletes take too much out of their bodies to just rely on normal foods .

I just don't think milk ( or any other normal food ) is completely crap though . For us weekend warriors they are more than enough .

Edit : If chocolate milk was good enough as a recovery drink for my hero Burry ,,, well then it’s good enough for me

I've always made my own shakes. I love mixing and trying different things. (Dischem/healthshops has made a fortune off me....)

I've since changed from whey over to vegan protein powder, I'll add a relevant amount of glucose/dextrose according to what I've just done, I'll also add some sort of salt/sodium tab if required,

From there the list can go on forever, I'm on the Maca train right now, Green Powder, sometimes spirulina 

Weird fetish maybe?

Luckily salmon scales aren't so hectic, otherwise that'll chafe like a beeyatch.

Edit : If chocolate milk was good enough as a recovery drink for my hero Burry ,,, well then it’s good enough for me

Regarding the your claims as to 'scientifc studies', I'm just going to apply Hitchens' Razor and leave it at that. 

Even pre-vegan, I never considered dairy milk as a recovery drink. That's just me. Even now, I don't chug a glass of soy milk after a long run or ride. If the question is recovery food, then I see your cup of cow's milk and raise you a can of kidney beans. 

post-62668-0-28465800-1551254708_thumb.png

post-62668-0-61152100-1551254718_thumb.png

Yes, beans aren't a drink, but if your goal is recovery, then there are better foods than cow's milk.

I also don't buy any 'recovery' specific drinks. I'll use vegan protein powder after big efforts, but that's really it. A few years ago I was on the whole 'sports nutrition' bandwagon and was pounding away at pre-workouts, carbohydrate drinks, protein this, BCAA that, etc.  Now, the focus is just on whole foods. 

Edit: an important element of recovery after big efforts is to also eat antioxidant rich foods to lessen free radical activity. Plant foods are the best source in this regard. 

Edited by Odinson

Milkman, I guess I didn't really answer your question as to alternative to traditional recovery drinks.  

I think CBlake's approach is good: maybe pre-prep a smoothie before the event. Some greens, berries, ginger, lemon (with the skin), protein powder (hemp, rice, oat) and some plant milk or water. Maybe even add some ground flax and/or hulled hemp seeds. That way you get some protein, carbs, fats and good dose of antioxidants. 

I'm not a superfood junkie, so not overly concerned about exotic stuff like maca, acai, etc, but if you want to try it, go ahead. It should typically be the cherry on top of an already sorted healthy diet. 

Milkman, I guess I didn't really answer your question as to alternative to traditional recovery drinks.  

I think CBlake's approach is good: maybe pre-prep a smoothie before the event. Some greens, berries, ginger, lemon (with the skin), protein powder (hemp, rice, oat) and some plant milk or water. Maybe even add some ground flax and/or hulled hemp seeds. That way you get some protein, carbs, fats and good dose of antioxidants. 

I'm not a superfood junkie, so not overly concerned about exotic stuff like maca, acai, etc, but if you want to try it, go ahead. It should typically be the cherry on top of an already sorted healthy diet. 

Thanks for the reply .

It's unfortunately not very practical when you sleep in a tent for a couple of days at a stage race to go the pre-prep smoothie route ?

Hence my comment regarding having a glass of milk . There will almost always be milk readily available at stage races.

Thanks for the reply .

It's unfortunately not very practical when you sleep in a tent for a couple of days at a stage race to go the pre-prep smoothie route ?

Hence my comment regarding having a glass of milk . There will almost always be milk readily available at stage races.

Yeah, for stage racing, that's not the easiest solution. 

I guess if I was in such a situation, I'd just stuff my face with whatever plant food is available post-ride. 

Rich Roll's Epic 5 (or was it Ultraman?) journey comes to mind. He was on a very clean diet prior, but during the race week he didn't have time to eat and access to what he usually would eat, so just basically ended up loading on what's available: hash browns, bread, fruit, etc.

If there's a will, there's a way.