The Veganism Thread

Odinson

But vegan diets are not healthy, thus the need for supplements. I agree, processed foods are unhealthy, we eat no processed food whatsoever. You want a healthy diet? Eat meat in moderation and stick to whole foods.

So the world’s vegan population supports a multi-billion dollar supplement industry? I don’t think so.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the world’s vegan population supports a multi-billion dollar supplement industry? I don’t think so.

They don’t support it, they rely on it.

They don’t support it, they rely on it.

Boet, you’re unfortunately patently wrong in your assertion. If you know more than various nutritional organisations, then feel free to elaborate how you’ve arrived at your conclusions. I’m interested in hearing it.

Boet, you’re unfortunately patently wrong in your assertion. If you know more than various nutritional organisations, then feel free to elaborate how you’ve arrived at your conclusions. I’m interested in hearing it.

Two pages back we had a vegan saying he needs to pop pills to survive. Is he the only one, or did he skip veg101?

Two pages back we had a vegan saying he needs to pop pills to survive. Is he the only one, or did he skip veg101?

And it's been explained before that B12 supplementation is the result of deal we've brokered with modern sanitation and food preparation. It's that simple, but I'm quite sure you know that. You're just trying to get some jabs in (considering your more recent posts here).  

And it's been explained before that B12 supplementation is the result of deal we've brokered with modern sanitation and food preparation. It's that simple, but I'm quite sure you know that. You're just trying to get some jabs in (considering your more recent posts here).

The point is you need supplementation because your diet is lacking basic nutritional requirements. Im all for healthy living, but proclaiming that veganism is healthier than other diets is false.

The point is you need supplementation because your diet is lacking basic nutritional requirements. Im all for healthy living, but proclaiming that veganism is healthier than other diets is false.

That is still incorrect. There is no such thing as a perfect diet, but a whole foods plant-based diet affords more protection against most of the leading killers op people than traditional omnivorous diets. Claiming that the “diet is lacking basic nutritional requirements” because of B12 supplementation is simply being intellectually dishonest.

It's only B12 and calcium powder I take. Last time I checked everyone I know takes multivitamins and pills. So stop try and justify everything we have to say.

I include 1 and a 1/2 of seeds into my diet which is very high in omega 3. I eat spinach and beetroot everyday and I never felt better in my life these couple of months. Just go do your homework and go have a look what nutrients meat has and what plant based stuff there is so substitute it with.

My brother has been a vegan long enough to actually see if he benefitted from it and he would of given up if he haven't found result in it. His ftp was 265 beginning this year and today it was 295 and he only trained 5 hours a week this year because he wants to focus on schoolwork and tennis: 3 and a half hour longride with 2 interval days a week... He was shocked to see how much he improved with little training. Let's see how well he does with this year's 94.7 last year he did it in 2:43

That is still incorrect. There is no such thing as a perfect diet, but a whole foods plant-based diet affords more protection against most of the leading killers op people than traditional omnivorous diets. Claiming that the “diet is lacking basic nutritional requirements” because of B12 supplementation is simply being intellectually dishonest.

As a vegan, if you fail to take B12 supplements, you will die from B12 deficiency as your diet does not provide it. That's a fact. It's also the reason why there were no vegans around a century ago, or if there were they weren't around for very long. 

You make many references comparing an exclusionary vegan diet to a "traditional omnivorous diet". It's quite obvious that the majority of the studies have used the average American diet as a basis of comparison, which gives very misleading results IMO. Anything is better than eating an average American diet, I think we all agree on that. Studies involving a properly balanced diet versus a vegan diet yield far less spectacular differences, but that doesn't make for very good campaigning material. Although I suspect you're well aware of that anyway... 

I eat a balanced whole food diet, including meat. I take no supplementation at all - I don't need to because my diet provides me with everything my body requires. I know this for a fact because I have regular bloodwork done. 

As a vegan, if you fail to take B12 supplements, you will die from B12 deficiency as your diet does not provide it. That's a fact. It's also the reason why there were no vegans around a century ago, or if there were they weren't around for very long.

You make many references comparing an exclusionary vegan diet to a "traditional omnivorous diet". It's quite obvious that the majority of the studies have used the average American diet as a basis of comparison, which gives very misleading results IMO. Anything is better than eating an average American diet, I think we all agree on that. Studies involving a properly balanced diet versus a vegan diet yield far less spectacular differences, but that doesn't make for very good campaigning material. Although I suspect you're well aware of that anyway...

I eat a balanced whole food diet, including meat. I take no supplementation at all - I don't need to because my diet provides me with everything my body requires. I know this for a fact because I have regular bloodwork done.

And a huge chunk of omnivores will die without their cholesterol meds, stents, blood pressure pills, etc insulin, etc. etc.

Fortunately a lot of the comparative studies are done outside of the US, so the SAD is not a reference point. A properly planned whole food plant based diet compared to a ‘healthy’ omnivorous diet still results in lower diabetes, CVD, and cancer risk for the vegans.

This misconception that the only omnivores that get affected by lifestyle diseases are those following a SAD is not based in fact.

I’d rather pop a B12 and know that I’m living a healthy lifestyle and am not contributing to animal suffering with each meal.

Is a B12 supplement such a massive concession to make in the greater scheme of things?

And a huge chunk of omnivores will die without their cholesterol meds, stents, blood pressure pills, etc insulin, etc. etc.

Fortunately a lot of the comparative studies are done outside of the US, so the SAD is not a reference point. A properly planned whole food plant based diet compared to a ‘healthy’ omnivorous diet still results in lower diabetes, CVD, and cancer risk for the vegans.

This misconception that the only omnivores that get affected by lifestyle diseases are those following a SAD is not based in fact.

I’d rather pop a B12 and know that I’m living a healthy lifestyle and am not contributing to animal suffering with each meal.

Is a B12 supplement such a massive concession to make in the greater scheme of things?

Drink a soy milk in your coffee that is fortified with B12 - problem solved.

Drink a soy milk in your coffee that is fortified with B12 - problem solved.

I rotate milks a lot. So, oftentimes there’s BIO (EU organic) that’s nice ‘n cheap that I’ll get. Problem is that Bio stuff ain’t fortified. Drinking the pill makes sure I’m consistent in it.

Nasdaq did not like the taste of the "Beyond meat" burger

Not surprising. It was very hyped at the time of the IPO. 

I rotate milks a lot. So, oftentimes there’s BIO (EU organic) that’s nice ‘n cheap that I’ll get. Problem is that Bio stuff ain’t fortified. Drinking the pill makes sure I’m consistent in it.

Should it not be called white stuff ?

Is milk not by definition from a mammal?