The Veganism Thread

Odinson

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the movie game changers and the impressive results following a weeks vegan diet. Are there health benefits to a vegetarian diet including eggs an cheese?

If so what are they?

Should it not be called white stuff ?

Is milk not by definition from a mammal?

A rose by any other name...

Regarding the movie game changers and the impressive results following a weeks vegan diet. Are there health benefits to a vegetarian diet including eggs an cheese?

If so what are they?

My question would be: what is in eggs and cheese that you need, which can't be found in plant foods? I'm assuming your framing your question from a performance-nutrition perspective. 

Almost forgot. Some pics from Neat Burger in London. Crazy good junk/fast food! 

post-62668-0-26726000-1572425090_thumb.jpg

post-62668-0-06997700-1572425135_thumb.jpg

Don't ask my why that 2nd pic is rotated. Something up with the uploader. 

My question would be: what is in eggs and cheese that you need, which can't be found in plant foods? I'm assuming your framing your question from a performance-nutrition perspective. 

Can we not answer his question first?

Surely you should encourage people to start the journey to by stepping through the vegetarian loop first?

Is a B12 supplement such a massive concession to make in the greater scheme of things?

Where does the VitB come from that the supplememnts are made with?

Where does the VitB come from that the supplememnts are made with?

Smart folks in white lab coats make B12 by fermenting certain microorganisms. 

Can we not answer his question first?

Surely you should encourage people to start the journey to by stepping through the vegetarian loop first?

I'd like to understand where IjsMan is coming from before offering my perspective. Surely that's reasonable, no?

I'm not going to make assumptions as to what his intentions are, so once I know that, I'll be more than happy to discuss the 'vegetarian loop'. 

It's only B12 and calcium powder I take. Last time I checked everyone I know takes multivitamins and pills. So stop try and justify everything we have to say.

I include 1 and a 1/2 of seeds into my diet which is very high in omega 3. I eat spinach and beetroot everyday and I never felt better in my life these couple of months. Just go do your homework and go have a look what nutrients meat has and what plant based stuff there is so substitute it with.

My brother has been a vegan long enough to actually see if he benefitted from it and he would of given up if he haven't found result in it. His ftp was 265 beginning this year and today it was 295 and he only trained 5 hours a week this year because he wants to focus on schoolwork and tennis: 3 and a half hour longride with 2 interval days a week... He was shocked to see how much he improved with little training. Let's see how well he does with this year's 94.7 last year he did it in 2:43

I don't know anybody (my healthy cycling mates, with a varied generally healthy diet), who does take supplements. The consensus amongst us when we have discussed it is, that if you eat real food you don't need them.

I don't know anybody (my healthy cycling mates, with a varied generally healthy diet), who does take supplements. The consensus amongst us when we have discussed it is, that if you eat real food you don't need them.

100%

I think you'd be surprised to what extent the average South African 'supplements' without even knowing it. Odds are that if you eat certain maize and wheat meals, you're supplementing with vitamin A, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pyridoxine, folic acid, iron and zinc. This fortification is required by law. 

Then look at processed foods such as breakfast cereals and quick prep foods such as Futurelife. All fortified. 

Then take it one step further - how many of the animals that you eat haven't been supplemented with feed licks and blocks which are used to fortify, among other purposes, their diet. 

All this is often done with very good reason. Micronutrient deficiency is a big problem in SA and most of the world actually. 

[Edit: also, just because they're in your food, doesn't mean your body is absorbing the micronutrients. Many people have absorption issues due to disease, gastrointestinal surgery, gut issues, genetics, etc. In such cases eating fortified foods and additional supplementation is very helpful]

Edited by Odinson