The Veganism Thread

Odinson

If you're ever in Copenhagen I will buy you (or any other hubber who visits) one of these from a place called Hungry Dane. It will change your life forever - whether you're a vegan or not....triple-cheese-2-1-scaled.jpg?fit=2560%2C

Flip that looks delicious enough to take your chances with Covid on an international flight for .

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

“I find that preachy vegans have the exact opposite effect of what they are trying to achieve. If you want to convince someone to come over to your side of the pasture, its generally better to attract them there with something nice, than to shame them for where they currently sit.”

This is the best paragraph on this entire thread, and something that I was trying very hard to tell Odi and here you come and do it in one post.

Bravo

Definitely agree, I cant get on with people who try to force things on you.

Its been many months since I ate meat and I dont miss it, Im never going to try shame someone for eating meat though.

Has anyone ever met one of these preachy vegans offline? I think I met one once in my lifetime and that's it.

I'd guess most preachy anythings mostly reside online.

I know a few of them, its always an unpleasant conversation and I dont even eat meat!

Off topic but on topic...

Has anyone tried the new Denny range of burger patties, mince and sausages?

They are ridiculously good, I would say about 80% of the way there in terms of flavour and texture to Beyond meat.

The really cool thing is they are mushroom based so the sausages dont dry out when you braai them.

Definitely agree, I cant get on with people who try to force things on you.

Its been many months since I ate meat and I dont miss it, Im never going to try shame someone for eating meat though.

ironically I find it's the meat eaters who try and shame you...but as the years have gone by I think I've heard most of the crap jokes and bonehead remarks by now....

ironically I find it's the meat eaters who try and shame you...but as the years have gone by I think I've heard most of the crap jokes and bonehead remarks by now....

Its sad how they think its funny and witty.

Its just part of human nature to want everyone to do the same things you do I guess.

They are ridiculously good, I would say about 80% of the way there in terms of flavour and texture to Beyond meat.

The really cool thing is they are mushroom based so the sausages dont dry out when you braai them.

Saw the mince for the first time the other day, will look out for the other products, and give them a go.

I’ve tried the patties before but for everything else it’s Linda McCarhy or Fry’s

I like meat too much and viable alternatives are currently too expensive.

Beyond meat (no soy btw) is cheaper than real meat in America.

Yes its expensive in SA and so are other meat alternatives but the price will gradually decrease when more people will seek alternative options.

Its sad how they think its funny and witty.

Its just part of human nature to want everyone to do the same things you do I guess.

The only thing that I'm dificient in is a vegan friend.????

Yes. I admit it, I just want someone to be the same as me.

Not one of these guys btw but friends of mine.

Beyond meat (no soy btw) is cheaper than real meat in America.

Yes its expensive in SA and so are other meat alternatives but the price will gradually decrease when more people will seek alternative options.

A Beyond Patty here in London is about £2.75 each, a beef patty is about £1.25 for the same size.

A Beyond Patty here in London is about £2.75 each, a beef patty is about £1.25 for the same size.

R129.99 this side at Woolies. Definitely keen to try them.

We've been buying from Herbi Vohr recently. (https://herbivohr.wixsite.com/herbivohr)

Really impressed with the pulled pork and pastrami. Great for wraps, sandwiches, and pizza. 

The biltong is pretty spot on too. Keen to try the bacon. Avoid the steak though. It's really weird. 

Homer said it best:

1. “(Lisa) “I’m going to become a vegetarian” (Homer) “Does that mean you’re not going to eat any pork?” “Yes” “Bacon?” “Yes Dad” Ham?” “Dad all those meats come from the same animal” “Right Lisa, some wonderful, magical animal!””

R129.99 this side at Woolies. Definitely keen to try them.

We've been buying from Herbi Vohr recently. (https://herbivohr.wixsite.com/herbivohr)

Really impressed with the pulled pork and pastrami. Great for wraps, sandwiches, and pizza.

The biltong is pretty spot on too. Keen to try the bacon. Avoid the steak though. It's really weird.

Think I have said it before on here, Beyond burgers are very very good. I am just not convinced about how healthy they are, they are super processed. But it is “guilt free” to a degree if that’s what matters.