The Veganism Thread

Odinson

What do you guys think about milk being a huge factor in causing osteoporosis?

You got some good links on the subject?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you guys think about milk being a huge factor in causing osteoporosis?

My dude (dudette?). Seriously. There is some SUSPICION that proteins in milk MAY affect the amount of calcium being absorbed, but that is about as close as it is possible to get to being the OPPOSITE of your statement that milk consumption is a huge factor in osteoporosis. If you're going to post definitive statements just spend 5 minutes Googling to make sure they're roughly correct. Karen on Facebook will read this and stop giving her gluten-free, macro-nutrient kids the milk that they desperately need.

Edited by arabsandals

I'm definitely not saying that milk causes osteoporosis. An inadequate amount of calcium causes it. Plants has proven to be a better calcium source.

Might the *overconsumption* of milk cause osteoporosis as some might claim?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/10/141028214051.htm

Osteoporosis is most common in western or *developed* countries. Exercise and calcium intake will basically prevent osteoporosis.

That being said, 75% of the world has a lactose intolerance.

Japanese and Asians don't or rarely consume diary products and doesn't nearly get as much osteoporosis as western countries do.

Europeans experienced a genetic mutation which explains why we're not as prone to lactose intolerance.

Lactose intolerance occurs when your small intestine doesn't produce enough of an enzyme (lactase) to digest milk sugar (lactose).

It doesn't sound to me that humans are ment to drink cows milk.

Human milk for babies. Cows milk for calves.

https://iphysio.io/osteoporosis/

This is an article btw.

https://www.forksoverknives.com/wellness/milk-myth-why-you-dont-need-dairy-for-calcium/

Absorbsion rate also plays a huge factor when you want to compare plants to milk.

https://nutritionfacts.org/2014/07/31/does-animal-protein-cause-osteoporosis/#:~:text=Meat%20and%20eggs%20have%20a,body%20buffers%20with%20calcium%20compounds.

Edit(calsium - calcium) Afrikaans makes me spell the words wrong.

Edited by Grass Muncher

I'm definitely not saying that milk causes osteoporosis. An inadequate amount of calcium causes it. Plants has proven to be a better calcium source.

Might the *overconsumption* of milk cause osteoporosis as some might claim?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/10/141028214051.htm

Osteoporosis is most common in western or *developed* countries. Exercise and calcium intake will basically prevent osteoporosis.

That being said, 75% of the world has a lactose intolerance.

Japanese and Asians don't or rarely consume diary products and doesn't nearly get as much osteoporosis as western countries do.

Europeans experienced a genetic mutation which explains why we're not as prone to lactose intolerance.

Lactose intolerance occurs when your small intestine doesn't produce enough of an enzyme (lactase) to digest milk sugar (lactose).

It doesn't sound to me that humans are ment to drink cows milk.

Human milk for babies. Cows milk for calves.

https://iphysio.io/osteoporosis/

This is an article btw.

https://www.forksoverknives.com/wellness/milk-myth-why-you-dont-need-dairy-for-calcium/

Absorbsion rate also plays a huge factor when you want to compare plants to milk.

https://nutritionfacts.org/2014/07/31/does-animal-protein-cause-osteoporosis/#:~:text=Meat%20and%20eggs%20have%20a,body%20buffers%20with%20calcium%20compounds.

Edit(calsium - calcium) Afrikaans makes me spell the words wrong.

It doesn't make sense to speak of drinking milk in terms of whether or not we're "meant" to drink it; there's no set of universal laws around consumption that we must abide by. If you apply your "milk is for babies" logic, fruit is the seed bearing structure for plants intended to disseminate seeds so naughty humans can't eat them. Absolutism is stupid.

Edit: forgot to add that you 100% introduced the notion that milk is a major factor in osteoporosis in a way which made it clear you meant it as a statement rather than a question. Don't play games. It's annoying.

Edited by arabsandals

As a practicing Vegan - Can I tell you that vegan cheeses absolutely suck.

There is no journal article that provides a study on this as it is a universal truth appreciated by each person alive.

Amen brother. If melted some are palatable but in solid state they are fekkin awful.

Edit: forgot to add that you 100% introduced the notion that milk is a major factor in osteoporosis in a way which made it clear you meant it as a statement rather than a question. Don't play games. It's annoying.

It's merely a theory that the proteins in milk will draw calsium from the bones to neutralize the acidity.

If I look at which countries have the most osteoporosis and drinks the most milk then I can say that it might have a huge factor in causing osteoporosis.

Human milk has 10 times less protein than cows milk. So why should a babies and toddlers be drinking something that's not meant for them to drink.

'Karen' will be doing the right thing by not feeding her children milk. Milk is not needed in a healthy and balanced diet. It's loaded with saturated fats.

A cup (237 ml) of whole milk contains 4.6 grams of saturated fat, which is about 20% of the daily amount recommended by the 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.

From an evolutionary standpoint you shouldn't be drinking milk. A dog won't go and suck on a cow's tits.

It's merely a theory that the proteins in milk will draw calsium from the bones to neutralize the acidity.

If I look at which countries have the most osteoporosis and drinks the most milk then I can say that it might have a huge factor in causing osteoporosis.

Human milk has 10 times less protein than cows milk. So why should a babies and toddlers be drinking something that's not meant for them to drink.

'Karen' will be doing the right thing by not feeding her children milk. Milk is not needed in a healthy and balanced diet. It's loaded with saturated fats.

A cup (237 ml) of whole milk contains 4.6 grams of saturated fat, which is about 20% of the daily amount recommended by the 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.

From an evolutionary standpoint you shouldn't be drinking milk. A dog won't go and suck on a cow's tits.

From an evolutionary standpoint? What about b12 then, evolution made us obligate carnivores. So we should ditch milk for an extra steak on the side, or does that argument not fit the narrative?

From an evolutionary standpoint? What about b12 then, evolution made us obligate carnivores. So we should ditch milk for an extra steak on the side, or does that argument not fit the narrative?

You're literally handing the argument to me if you want to pull the B12 card.

Where do you think cows get their B12 from? Ground and streamwater. If we were to live in the Bush then you would get your B12 from microorganisms living in soil and water. When humans were thirsty, they would drink their B12.

They literally have to feed cows B12 supplements. Your bacically getting B12 supplements secondarily from cows.

You started the argument by saying:

“What do you guys think about milk being a huge factor in causing osteoporosis?”

Then on the very next post when challenged said:

“I'm definitely not saying that milk causes osteoporosis.”

Which is it?

You started the argument by saying:

“What do you guys think about milk being a huge factor in causing osteoporosis?”

Then on the very next post when challenged said:

“I'm definitely not saying that milk causes osteoporosis.”

Which is it?

I honestly ment by saying it as a rethorical question.

'I' do believe that milk is a huge factor in causing osteoporosis when data clearly backs my claim when 1st world countries are more prone to osteoporosis.

What are poor countries doing differently?

I honestly ment by saying it as a rethorical question.

'I' do believe that milk is a huge factor in causing osteoporosis when data clearly backs my claim when 1st world countries are more prone to osteoporosis.

What are poor countries doing differently?

Sorry, so to clear up, you say that milk is a huge factor in the cause of osteoporosis?

Is the first world comparison based only on milk consumption, or has the total diet been taken into consideration?

Sorry, so to clear up, you say that milk is a huge factor in the cause of osteoporosis?

Is the first world comparison based only on milk consumption, or has the total diet been taken into consideration?

What I'm trying to say is

Milk is a huge factor in causing osteoporosis when taken into consideration what diet gets osteoporosis the most. Milk is the western worlds number 1 source of calcium.

The study above did show that an increase of milk by 2 to 3 glasses a day was linked to more fractures and a shorter livespan than the one glass of milk a day.

I don't believe milk causes osteoporosis because there's not enough big studies to back my claim.

I do believe that milk isn't good for you.

Ovcourse were diets not taken into consideration when they looked at which countries got the most osteoporosis but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know what the standard American, Asian, African diet is.

What I'm trying to say is

Milk is a huge factor in causing osteoporosis when taken into consideration what diet gets osteoporosis the most. Milk is the western worlds number 1 source of calcium.

The study above did show that an increase of milk by 2 to 3 glasses a day was linked to more fractures and a shorter livespan than the one glass of milk a day.

I don't believe milk causes osteoporosis because there's not enough big studies to back my claim.

I do believe that milk isn't good for you.

Ovcourse were diets not taken into consideration when they looked at which countries got the most osteoporosis but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know what the standard American, Asian, African diet is.

Do you drink milk still?

Do you drink milk still?

No, last time I drank milk was about 2 years ago.

I got terrible acid reflux from drinking milk.

I use to drink 550ml a day back then.

How much milk do you drink per day?

What are your reason for not going plant-based/vegan yet?