The Veganism Thread

Odinson

that is a big problem. Marketing is deceptive. Coconut oil is a product. We buy a product which extends past the tangible product itself. 

Having read the ingredients in a number of vegan substitute products its used quite extensively so decided to look into it. 

Being new to this diet , i like to hear the experiences of others. Learn a little or a lot. 

I think coconut water especially was an exhibition of marketing success over the health narrative/benefit it brought along with it. 

I reckon coconut oil won similar favour from the 'high fat' push with the new diet fads over the last 10 (? or so) years.

I personally only know of having the oil in Beyond products. But then again not much in those products is overly healthy .... so I don't think of it as such anyway. I don't think you need to avoid it like the plague, but I wouldn't be pouring it in your coffee every day  :thumbdown:

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats good work. Tough work too. Well done

Its why my wife went veg initially, got a cholesterol reading shock. 

Diet made a huge difference (exercise just as much) 

I was over 6.4 on my total cholesterol. Got it down to 2.6. Doctor was blown away. 

Also got my glucose levels back to normal. 

Resting heart rate was in the high 90s. 

I was a total wreck and heading for disaster as 40 approached. Got my ass back in gear, shed a ton of weight and dropped my resting to the high 60s. 

I'm still 15kg over where I should be (25kg if BMI is anything to go by) but I'll get there over the next 6 months. 

My diet is mostly pescatarian at the moment. I can easily cut eggs from my diet and even the fish but dairy is my weakness. Milk makes up about 250ml a day for me. Tried this week to go exclusively onto soy milk and it ruined coffee for me completely. Id honestly rather do black coffee.

Baby steps.

I was over 6.4 on my total cholesterol. Got it down to 2.6. Doctor was blown away. 

I was a total wreck and heading for disaster as 40 approached. Got my ass back in gear, shed a ton of weight and dropped my resting to the high 60s. 

I'm still 15kg over where I should be (25kg if BMI is anything to go by) but I'll get there over the next 6 months. 

My diet is mostly pescatarian at the moment. I can easily cut eggs from my diet and even the fish but dairy is my weakness. Milk makes up about 250ml a day for me. Tried this week to go exclusively onto soy milk and it ruined coffee for me completely. Id honestly rather do black coffee.

Baby steps.

Got it down to 2.6.  Wow!

Resting heart rate was in the high 90s.  Double triple f*ing wow! You were on your way out, thats outrageous. 

Round of applause for both, awesome. What a story.

See if you can find Oatly or Rude Health oat 'milks'. They both have a specific Barista version - with slightly different ingredients and wizardry to the standard versions. Its undoubtedly 99% marketing but you never know. I don't have milk in my coffee so I'm none the wiser there, but I do have the Oatly one with oats and its super delicious and might be what you're looking for.

Got it down to 2.6.  Wow!

Resting heart rate was in the high 90s.  Double triple f*ing wow! You were on your way out, thats outrageous. 

Round of applause for both, awesome. What a story.

See if you can find Oatly or Rude Health oat 'milks'. They both have a specific Barista version - with slightly different ingredients and wizardry to the standard versions. Its undoubtedly 99% marketing but you never know. I don't have milk in my coffee so I'm none the wiser there, but I do have the Oatly one with oats and its super delicious and might be what you're looking for.

I was not in a good place. I couldn't make it up stairs without being way out of breath. Now I'm comfortable pushing out close to 50km rides with 900m of climbing. Average of 150km a week.

Let me whip up a cup quickly with the Oatly Barista I just found in the pantry. I also have the Milklab Soy one recommended for coffee. Will see which is best.

Thanks for the tips

Baby steps.

Inspirational man, well done.  :clap:

My lad wanted burger king last night so went to BK. Saw they had a vegan burger on the menu and ordered that for myself.  £4.59. 

What a klomp *** that was. Tasted like cardboard and it aint cheap. Avoid

My lad wanted burger king last night so went to BK. Saw they had a vegan burger on the menu and ordered that for myself. £4.59.

We have a burger chain here called Burgerfuel. Their “plantburger” is better that their beef burgers! But they twice the price so I rarely order it. But they have got the taste down right!

We have a burger chain here called Burgerfuel. Their “plantburger” is better that their beef burgers! But they twice the price so I rarely order it. But they have got the taste down right!

The missus and I both agree that we now prefer Beyonds to Beef.

My lad wanted burger king last night so went to BK. Saw they had a vegan burger on the menu and ordered that for myself. £4.59.

Try the Macdonalds veggie burger. The patty has peas, mash, corn and carrots in the inside.

Was that the Impossible burger?

My 5c regarding Soy in coffee for you...

Soy in a Cafe Latte or a Cappucino or Flat White for me tastes very good indeed.

Yes I cannot stand in in Instant Coffee, even though the AMOUNT I ADD to Instant is say 20% of that in a store-bought coffee, weird, but experience over a year of coffees!

I still drink milk, but have reduced my total amount of Cows milk by using Soy - delicious in store-bough coffees...

Baby steps.

Good job on getting weight off.

One thing I would recommend is either macadamia or oat milk, those are both really nice in coffee.

Soy anything is pretty terrible in my opinion!

Was that the Impossible burger?

Called the vegan bean burger here. Recently launched for Veganuary. It’s claimed to be 100 percent vegan in content and preparation.

Tastes like crud. I prefer the burgers i buy from supermarkets tbh.