Safety on the roads ... and cyclists behaviour...

ChrisF

Oooh - that's low!

But it serves as a very good example of how things should work.

This cyclist is not riding in the bike lane because in about 50m time, there is a conglomeration of manholes and potholes right in the bike lane, at the entrance to the complex on the left. He has decided that it is more predictable of him to ride just outside the bike line in a straight line until he has passed the offending road obstructions. 

Okayyyy, I will take the bait .....

Along my commute to work I have to deal with blind corners, and tree routes that have lifted the tar along the edge of the road, etc etc .... yada yada ....

On second thought .... rather than "fighting each other", what can be done to address those manhole covers ?  It would be TRAGIC to mourne the "sad loss" of yet another cyclist, just because he tried to avoid a manhole cover .....

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okayyyy, I will take the bait .....

Along my commute to work I have to deal with blind corners, and tree routes that have lifted the tar along the edge of the road, etc etc .... yada yada ....

On second thought .... rather than "fighting each other", what can be done to address those manhole covers ?  It would be TRAGIC to mourne the "sad loss" of yet another cyclist, just because he tried to avoid a manhole cover .....

It's a manhole cover today, a pothole tomorrow. A broken bottle. An oil patch. A dead squirrel/cat/dog/guinea fowl.

Obstacles are always going to be there. How we navigate them as road users sharing a resource is the challenge.

It's a manhole cover today, a pothole tomorrow. A broken bottle. An oil patch. A dead squirrel/cat/dog/guinea fowl.

Obstacles are always going to be there. How we navigate them as road users sharing a resource is the challenge.

????????

• 2 weeks later...

Two cyclists violently attacked in Stellenbosch

<sarcasm> I'm sure there are two sides of the story, and we're just getting the biased views of the two lycra-clad selfish road hogs </sarcasm>

Is this situation any different to the one described by the OP? Luckily the OP chose to vent here on the Hub, and not like a testosterone fuelled monster with a primitive stick weapon.

While I'm here, I found a good read on Twitter:
https://usa.streetsblog.org/2019/01/14/six-ways-the-media-is-still-blaming-the-victim/

which ties in with what @Pure Savage was saying about victim blaming. It might not be obvious, but the bias exists (the article above does a good job of avoiding most of the points listed).

Two cyclists violently attacked in Stellenbosch

<sarcasm> I'm sure there are two sides of the story, and we're just getting the biased views of the two lycra-clad selfish road hogs </sarcasm>

Is this situation any different to the one described by the OP? Luckily the OP chose to vent here on the Hub, and not like a testosterone fuelled monster with a primitive stick weapon.

While I'm here, I found a good read on Twitter:

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2019/01/14/six-ways-the-media-is-still-blaming-the-victim/

which ties in with what @Pure Savage was saying about victim blaming. It might not be obvious, but the bias exists (the article above does a good job of avoiding most of the points listed).

Have you been paying attention to this thread before reaching your own conclusions?

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/180411-riders-attacked-and-assaulted-on-jonkershoek-road-13012019/

Have you been paying attention to this thread before reaching your own conclusions?

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/180411-riders-attacked-and-assaulted-on-jonkershoek-road-13012019/

I have, but that discusses the incident in particular. (Pray tell - what were my conclusions? Did you read the rest of my post and notice that I also contributed additional material to the conversation unrelated to the above thread?) 

I'm more interested in the relationship between motorists and cyclists in general, which is why I posted here, as I felt the conversation in this thread was more mature and had moved away from a particular incident.

I have, but that discusses the incident in particular. (Pray tell - what were my conclusions? Did you read the rest of my post and notice that I also contributed additional material to the conversation unrelated to the above thread?) 

I'm more interested in the relationship between motorists and cyclists in general, which is why I posted here, as I felt the conversation in this thread was more mature and had moved away from a particular incident.

If you're interested in the relationship between motorists and cyclists in general, don't start it off with an article that's already been assimilated on the hub and then undermine it with sarcasm. It completely destroyed your point.

Also you're contradicting yourself saying "... I felt the conversation in this thread was more mature and had moved away from a particular incident." directly after you were first shared an outdated article  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you're interested in the relationship between motorists and cyclists in general, don't start it off with an article that's already been assimilated on the hub and then undermine it with sarcasm. It completely destroyed your point.

Also you're contradicting yourself saying "... I felt the conversation in this thread was more mature and had moved away from a particular incident." directly after you were first shared an outdated article  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My point that cyclists and motorists can get along if we take a second to consider the weaker party in the relationship was completely undermined by pointing out that the original poster behaved a lot better than the thugs in Jonkershoek, although not ideally?

And then to comment about an article that details the bias towards cyclists in media reports about incidents involving motorists colliding with cyclists? How cyclists are marginalised, scape-goated and stereotyped in a car dominated culture?

I am very much interested in the dynamic at play between cyclists and motorists. It is something that affects me on a daily basis, and I fail to see how sarcasm undermines the article, or my point. 

But ok then.

“Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but the highest form of intelligence.”

― Oscar Wilde

Cool article there @velouria

Very insightful

Both cyclists and motorists exercise poor judgement or uncool decisions on the tarmac, but the vulnerable will always be the cyclist when it comes to a collision. Often fatal. ????

Cool article there @velouria

Very insightful

Both cyclists and motorists exercise poor judgement or uncool decisions on the tarmac, but the vulnerable will always be the cyclist when it comes to a collision. Often fatal.

Yeah so what is the point you're making other than stating the obvious.

Velouria is interested in what changes the relationship between motorist and cyclist. Continually stating that the vulnerable must defer is victim blaming and just sets up cyclists for failure at every juncture. Anti cycling cyclists are the worst kind.

Yeah so what is the point you're making other than stating the obvious.

Velouria is interested in what changes the relationship between motorist and cyclist. Continually stating that the vulnerable must defer is victim blaming and just sets up cyclists for failure at every juncture. Anti cycling cyclists are the worst kind.

Your tone of communication sucks, Cupcake.

Above all else, I gave credit to Velouria for making the effort to share an insightful article with his peers around hereas he always strives to be constructive in his contributions. 

I read the multiple pages of the Jonkershoek incident last night .... I refrained from commenting, mostly because everything had been said multiple times, and once again it is SAD to see that even "cyclists" are unable to agree on the basics ..... 

This morning just after sunrise we came back from Montagu via Robertson and Worcester.  Saw a many cyclists out on the road.  :thumbup:

Will admit I am mildly enveous of those with full access to the various farms.  We see you cross the road and head back into vineyards and orchards ...  :clap:   :clap:

And then I saw something which is at the hart of THIS thread - "cyclists behaviour" ...

YIP ... two abreast .... fully inside the yellow lane !  NOT obstructing any traffic.

BUT..... the one cyclist is understandably "close" to the yellow lane .... and then it happened ....  Big truck from the front, he cant move over the white line, as there are cars on this side.  So the truck passes the cyclist with maybe 1m space, except the truck is doing at least 80km/h, possibly more as it is a slight downhill for the truck .....

GLAD to report the wind did not pull the cyclist into the truck.

YES - those cyclists did nothing "illegal".  They did not obstruct traffic.  In no way did they pose a danger or hindrance to anybody else.

BUT - this could have ended SO badly !  :eek:   :wacko:

5 minutes later we see a husband and wife cycling toward Worcester, in single file, staying way left.  There was no oncoming traffic, so I did cross the white line a bit, and gave then a blip and a wave once past, gent waved back.  Clearly this couple has a different approach to safety ....

It is NOT about "right or wrong" .... it is about staying alive out there.  PLEASE be careful, and come home safely

I've seen horseback police.  Are there Metro cyclists in any part of South Africa?

I've seen a few around Hatfield in PTA on MTB's.