The SKY is falling

ScottCM

150 million pounds over 10 years...........not a lot of money at all, considering what football stars are paid per year...........

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

150 million pound over 10 years...........not a lot of money at all, considering what football stars are paid year...........

But the football teams and players generate a whole lot of revenue, a well managed football team generates more money than what they spend....cycling doesn't do that..exposure means nothing if it doesn't bring in the money.

Cycling business model is terrible.

If the team comes out with a smaller budget than before it will be great to see where the superstars end up in 2020!

Imagine the shakeup in the pecking order with Froome, Thomas, Bernal, Poels, Kwiatkowski and (blegh!) Moscon looking for new contracts.  No telling who will be dominant going forward. More teams like Movistar fielding 1/2 superstars with 3/4 good domestiques in a grand tour vs Sky fielding 4 superstars and 4 excellent domestiques...

As much as what I don't like Team Sky...it is the support staff that will suffer most if they can't figure something out.. they have a lot of good riders that will probably find other teams really fast..but mechanics, chefs etc won't be so fortunate...

I have ZERO evidence of this but I predict a team Zwift to make it's appearance at the top end of the sport soon.

Is it a virtual shoe in?

As much as what I don't like Team Sky...it is the support staff that will suffer most if they can't figure something out.. they have a lot of good riders that will probably find other teams really fast..but mechanics, chefs etc won't be so fortunate...

That's certainly true

Look at the size of the staff!  65 people.  No way there's room for everyone at other teams as nobody as ever fielded such a large team of professional support staff.

https://www.teamsky.com/staff

Thomas, Bernal..and a few others have long term contracts.. probably find in the fine print it is dependent on Sponsorship..there may be a few riders going.. I should've taken that other contract with another team when I had the chance..

G must be kicking himself now!

Sky is no longer Sky and owned by the Murdoch's, was bought by Comcast in October.  James Murdoch was a keen cyclist and hence the sponsorship, but left when the deal went through.

Comcast obviously don't see it as a worthwhile investment in cycling

Sky is no longer Sky and owned by the Murdoch's, was bought by Comcast in October.  James Murdoch was a keen cyclist and hence the sponsorship, but left when the deal went through.

Comcast obviously don't see it as a worthwhile investment in cycling

Comcast over paid for it as they are panicking at the moment. They are currently living out DSTV's nightmare but in dollars.

Archived