Bike Hub 2019 Commuters Challenge

Imploder

Week 2 back at work after a 3 week holiday off the bike. I walked and climbed about 200 km in that time, so came back fitter than before, but it is amazing how soft your bum can get in such a short time, especially if you then ride every day, twice a day.

But I've been good with the commuting. Haven't used the car at all since 1 December, but I did ask the wife to come and fetch a box of wine from the office. I didn't want to try ride with that for fear of crashing. ;)

Edit: 2019 will be the 1st year I can potentially commute by bike all the time since the youngest D is now also done with school so I don't have to drop him and his massive sports bags in the morning. I'll see how it goes through the Cape Winter.

Edited by DJR

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New to  its commuting (and technically bike riding)  and the bike hub... doing this in conjunction with the weight challenge as they are somewhat linked. Three weeks down and really enjoying commuting even though its a really short commute. Once I figure out endomondo thing I will try join the challenge... Currently tracking everything on strava.

Welcome! Great 1st post! :thumbup:

ride home with one bottle of wine at a time to mitigate the risk .... or I can swing by your place of work and take them to a "safe" location for you

Week 2 back at work after a 3 week holiday off the bike. I walked and climbed about 200 km in that time, so came back fitter than before, but it is amazing how soft your bum can get in such a short time, especially if you then ride every day, twice a day.

But I've been good with the commuting. Haven't used the car at all since 1 December, but I did ask the wife to come and fetch a box of wine from the office. I didn't want to try ride with that for fear of crashing. ;)

Im in the far south and am commuting from Muizenberg to Westlake. Its only a couple of Kms and im trying to get more fit before I try make it interesting along Boyes Drive. I am a large guy riding a tank of a bike so trying to keep it as flat as possible.

Keep at it man 

Remember cycling doesnt get easier you just get faster

Im getting married next weekend and then honeymoon so I will be standing still for a week and half.

But when I am back I will klap the mileage as there will be no money for fuel or bus fare.

Sorry to hear.

Just kidding. All the best.

Where is the honeymoon? Able to take your bike with?

Im getting married next weekend and then honeymoon so I will be standing still for a week and half.

But when I am back I will klap the mileage as there will be no money for fuel or bus fare.

Congrats man 

Take the bike with 

In sickness and in health and all that jazz, 

Sorry to hear.

Just kidding. All the best.

Where is the honeymoon? Able to take your bike with?

Thanks

Mauritius.

We normally very active bike touring when on holiday so gona take this one chilled for a change if we can haha, so not bike.

Thanks

Mauritius.

We normally very active bike touring when on holiday so gona take this one chilled for a change if we can haha, so not bike.

Dude, I took my bike on honeymoon to Mauritius. I even did a 2 day race. The first stage my wife just chilled on the beach where we started and the 2nd stage ended with a climb up a monster hill so she had to drive there from the start and she just basically followed me. Do it, it will be fun especially if your wife also rides. Mine doesn't so I wasn't able to explore on my bike, would have loved to do that. We hired a scooter for that which is about as fast as a bike anyway.

Dude, I took my bike on honeymoon to Mauritius. I even did a 2 day race. The first stage my wife just chilled on the beach where we started and the 2nd stage ended with a climb up a monster hill so she had to drive there from the start and she just basically followed me. Do it, it will be fun especially if your wife also rides. Mine doesn't so I wasn't able to explore on my bike, would have loved to do that. We hired a scooter for that which is about as fast as a bike anyway.

Haha, You did well!

My wife to be also rides but we are opting for the shooter option this time around.

We saving the missions of taking our bikes over for a touring trip in Portugal late August.

Headwind. Seems to always be a headwind. I seem to have lost my legs somewhere on this mornings commute.

They seem to be awol!!!

damned weather apps.

I skipped my weekly saturday commute because all the weather apps indicated 90% chance of thunderstorms right at the time I would have been leaving to head home.

The storms only arrived 4 hours later. I was not happy.

So my morning commute turned out slightly different to what i had planned.

Planned to practice a portion of the XCO course (for Saturday race), cycled there (with the backpack), did the A-line twice and fell on my chops twice on the same spot. Ironically i managed that piece on Saturday when practicing - go figure. Anyway, cycle down to continue to work, but it seems the full suspension has a buckled rear wheel. 

So need to pedal the 7/8/9/10km home to swop bikes with the hardtail. Ended up being an hour late for work and did 44km this morning.

And now all my wounds hurt.  :rolleyes:  but we continue. :)

Will try again on Friday the XCO line. But will continue to commute. 

Edited by samson99