For the aviation fans

Lotus

Found it. The cracked left windshield. Happened on the descent to Kuwait at around 30 000 feet. The bang when it happens seriously gets ones attention!!!

Anyway, no pic of it taped up, but it was completely covered in Hi Speed tape. No viz out of it whatsoever. Just a ferry flight to maintenance in that condition.attachicon.gif8DA031F2-CC51-43DE-9D1C-EA4344086234.jpeg

Edited....spelling, due to vin rouge!

What caused that?!

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What caused that?!

It just happens. Typically once every few years. I guess the extreme temperature variations. It is just the thin (few mm ) outer layer. The integrity of the main windshield is okay regarding safety. However it is a 50000 USD repair. (Cost of windshield)

I have had a crack in the right windshield which was due to a windshield heat failure. The elecrtrical heat system packed out and arced causing the crack. That was just the perimeter of the windshield with good viz.........but still needs replacing.

I go on about windshield. For those unaware, the left and right windshields are directly in front of the pilot seats. The windows are to the left and right of the pilot seat.

They have different limitations with failures in the allowance of the flight to continue.

Seen his happen quite a few times albeit on a different type of aircraft, windshield heat turned on at the wrong time (to late).

Perhaps on some types Swiss. Tis always on on ours, from entering the runway till vacating it.

Was Auto function on my last type.

Looking at that 'silly' looking plane, to me anyway, I wonder if sometimes companies don't just build something just because they can? Almost a bit of showing off ....

Highly specialized purpose built.

ironically, it looks like a typical presentation of flow around a foil (specifically a turbine blade) in stall or with severe flow separation.

attachicon.giffoil rs.jpg

You must do well at spotting those 3 D pictures that are hidden in the blur of dots. Unlike me. 

Looking at that 'silly' looking plane, to me anyway, I wonder if sometimes companies don't just build something just because they can? Almost a bit of showing off ....

Scaled Composites /Burt Rutans designs (which this is one, White Knight 2 pictured by Kosmonooit is another) often go for an edgy, more organic design which may or may not be strictly needed, but seems to be part of their signature look.

It just happens. Typically once every few years. I guess the extreme temperature variations. It is just the thin (few mm ) outer layer. The integrity of the main windshield is okay regarding safety. However it is a 50000 USD repair. (Cost of windshield)

I have had a crack in the right windshield which was due to a windshield heat failure. The elecrtrical heat system packed out and arced causing the crack. That was just the perimeter of the windshield with good viz.........but still needs replacing.

I go on about windshield. For those unaware, the left and right windshields are directly in front of the pilot seats. The windows are to the left and right of the pilot seat.

They have different limitations with failures in the allowance of the flight to continue.

The logical side of your brain must be working overtime to re-assure the "Fight or Flight" side of the brain which would be telling you that you are in some serious trouble with the windscreen going to implode any second now.  

Perhaps on some types Swiss. Tis always on on ours, from entering the runway till vacating it.

Was Auto function on my last type.

Good system that.

Not an option on the Beechcraft turbo prop family

I'm just back from a trip to the East via Singapore Airlines:  A350, and 777 connecting to the Philippines. Did a bit of plane spotting, seems to be loads of 777's around doing the long hauls.

Manged to get an earlier connecting flight yesterday, which meant we chased the sun set for three hours.

57882620_10155902688911372_3225756748396

I spotted an aircraft traversing out track a few FL's below us on this leg but no vapor trail, still have to check my Action Cam footage for what I got. Also it was full moon last night and once the lights were out in the cabin it was magical outside, unfortunately too light too low to capture.

AND flying on Good Friday was a great idea - fewer pax all around.

Edited by kosmonooit

I've done the trip between LHR/Europe/Jo'burg and back more times than I can remember and the majority of flights are overnights.

There's a couple of things about flying at night that I love. Flying at night with a full moon you can see for ever, watching thunderstorms from the side or above (at a distance please, I hate turbulence!) and seeing a lone light or two down on the ground in Central Africa, wondering what those people are up to, how they live their lives as I fly overhead . . .

Air France used to do a "daylight" flight to JNB. I would leave LHR at around 6:30am for Paris and then leave Paris at around 10:30am and land at JNB at 9pm. The beauty of a day flight is that you can see stuff, the downside of course is that there is very little to see from FL 38+! I also handle turbulence better during the daytime. Just being able to see out and get a reference to the ground or even the cloud below helps me. :-) 

Edited by Bonus