For the aviation fans

Lotus

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a hectic weekend in civil aviation, with the Russian accident, and the 737 going into the river in Florida.

I can't view your link at work but I have seen a few videos. I even saw one from inside as they were landing, that must have been flipping scary. Being burnt alive must be one of the worst ways to go.

For sure, especially while in the air and there are zero options

Jeepers people nowadays have their priorities all screwed up!!

With reference to the onboard video

Who in their right mind is going to waste time filming the *** happening... your first priority is to get ready to get out as quickly as possible and if you can help others...

Jeepers people nowadays have their priorities all screwed up!!

With reference to the onboard video

Who in their right mind is going to waste time filming the *** happening... your first priority is to get ready to get out as quickly as possible and if you can help others...

Agreed and then the passengers that want their carry on. They should be charged for man slaughter.

Edited by Long Wheel Base

I've just finished watching this movie. It's an un-narrated (under-rated?!) documentary using original footage that tells the story of the mission from launch to recovery.

Everyone will have their own view of the movie, but for me it showed what a leap of faith that mission was.

post-10549-0-69211000-1557332551_thumb.png

Agreed and then the passengers that want their carry on. They should be charged for man slaughter.

I recall also seeing footage of a heavy that landed with an engine on fire (IIRC) a while back, and a passenger also filmed the other pax leaving only after collecting carry-on luggage, as if it was a normal disembarkation. I still remember thinking I will put folks in hospital as I try to leave had I been onboard.

I heard a funny story involving a B-52 not long ago.....

A Jock flying an F-16 was mid exercise when he developed engine trouble and had to return to base. As well as F-16's the base also had a complement of B-52's. While the Jock was lining up for landing, nursing his jet along, a B-52, also on local exercises, called in to say he'd had to shut down an engine and requested immediate clearance for landing.

The tower gave the B-52 priority, and told the F-16 Jock who was nursing his single engined jet back to base that he'd have to wait..... to which the Jock replied 'ah yes, the dreaded 7 engine approach....'

Edited by Bonus

does the video on the the CBS news article play? They show a B-2 Spirit and not a B-52.

59337c63a74aabc6b2cfc3cd0a2f85a3.jpg

Sometime news outlets surprise me by the level of ignorance displayed by their journalists...something akin to SAA regularly reported on, and including a clip of a 747. I have even noticed images of 747-SP, A380!, and even a Flight Simulator X image of a SAA plane before. Trusting the journalists to get it right when adding images is a bit of a hit and miss lately.

On topic, here is another link, showing the B-52's;

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-army/2019/05/07/b-52-bombers-are-off-to-rebuff-iran-after-threats-made-against-us-troops-but-dod-wont-say-what-those-were/