For the aviation fans

Lotus

I built these some time ago, in 1:48 so that I could scratch-build some extra details (radiator flaps, guns details) and hand painted the P47 cowling and invasion stripes (the decals were crummy). Then weathered as appropriate.

I might have had the perseverance to mask and paint the D-Day stripes, but big kudos to handpainting that cowling. If the decals for that were crummy I would have just changed the paint scheme.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I might have had the perseverance to mask and paint the D-Day stripes, but big kudos to handpainting that cowling. If the decals for that were crummy I would have just changed the paint scheme.

Truth is, that did occur to me. But I quite liked the D-Day scheme, and the cowling became a challenge I couldn't resist (working out the widening line from front to back took a while - did I mention this hobby is a real "time black-hole"?).

You might notice the shades of white for the cowling, stripes and tail stripes are all different tints, because they would have been applied at different times on the real aircraft (see, that's rivet counting).

Some pictures of the detailing:

Scratch-built guns (hypodermic needles)

Engine detailing

Cockpit detail - controls and photo-etched seat belt buckles

Paint washes - panel lines and gun smoke residue

Scratch built radiator flaps made from (very thin) aluminium

post-10549-0-76362400-1558856274_thumb.jpg

post-10549-0-43636700-1558856308_thumb.jpg

post-10549-0-26930900-1558856322_thumb.jpg

post-10549-0-89573700-1558856335_thumb.jpg

post-10549-0-34862300-1558856352_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lotus

is that a radio scanner on the middle shelf? If so, I think I have the same one.

It is an old Icom VHF radio. I used to carry it when bush flying in west Africa as an emergency back up. Sadly I lost the charger many years ago. Never got around to replacing it and I really dont listen to aircraft radio calls any more ( well, more than I need to for the old job!)

In addition on that shelf is an old Douglas DC8 autopilot controller and a Ist Stage fan blade from a Pratt and Whitney JT3 engine off the 8.

Edited by Spokey

Truth is, that did occur to me. But I quite liked the D-Day scheme, and the cowling became a challenge I couldn't resist (working out the widening line from front to back took a while - did I mention this hobby is a real "time black-hole"?).

You might notice the shades of white for the cowling, stripes and tail stripes are all different tints, because they would have been applied at different times on the real aircraft (see, that's rivet counting).

Some pictures of the detailing:

Scratch-built guns (hypodermic needles)

Engine detailing

Cockpit detail - controls and photo-etched seat belt buckles

Paint washes - panel lines and gun smoke residue

Scratch built radiator flaps made from (very thin) aluminium

This is beautiful work, Awesome!

Just got this message from a Buddy earlier today...

“About an hour or so ago they did a flypast while I was in Griffith road next to Emperor's. They were even lower (200ft limit? Maybe) than they were the other day. Then they did a split climb with a roll as they cleared the runway. I was waiting for the wings to fall off. Spectacular.”

That flyby over the runway here at JNB was amazing. I don't think I have ever seen an airbus bank like that before. It was almost inverted, freaking insane. 

My wife's flight to George on Friday with Mango was delayed by 3 hours. Apparently this was caused by a "maintenance" problem earlier in the week, but I heard (rumor) that one of the planes was damaged in a taxiing incident, and that threw the schedule out.

Anyone know if there's truth in that?

My wife's flight to George on Friday with Mango was delayed by 3 hours. Apparently this was caused by a "maintenance" problem earlier in the week, but I heard (rumor) that one of the planes was damaged in a taxiing incident, and that threw the schedule out.

We do their maintenance. I haven't heard anything but will go find out.

4 weeks ago a comair taxi'd into the winglet of a mango. They have 3 planes in major maintenance at the moment. Other than that, no incidents last week causing planes to be AOG.

I came across this clip on my YT feed a while back, and I got an itch to start building again. The last time I did one, I was still a laaitie at school, but I always loved the build process. And then all of a sudden, all this chat of building on this thread. Perhaps it's time.

4 weeks ago a comair taxi'd into the winglet of a mango. They have 3 planes in major maintenance at the moment. Other than that, no incidents last week causing planes to be AOG.

My wife and I were sitting on Derdesteen beach one evening a couple years back. Next thing we see a Mango Boeing come flying overhead towards a holding pattern over Robben Island with one main landing gear and the nose gear down, with the other main landing gear still neatly tucked away. I commented to her that I am glad I am not onboard that plane. It landed safely after a while.

Fast forward to the next day, and I get asked to fly to Durban for a business meeting. I get my ticket, and it's Mango. Arrive at the airport the next morning early for the red-eye, and get told we are delayed for 3 hours. I watch a B737 come flying in and land on runway 16, with a short stop, spin around, and taxi to Cargo. This was the first time I have ever seen a plane land on rwy 16. 

Passengers are bitching and moaning, but after the requisite 3 hour wait, we board our flight. 

Pilot informs all on-board "sorry for the delay yada yada, but their was a technical issue, and they urgently had to fly parts in..."

That was then the penny dropped...I am on "that" Mango...

Passengers are still moaning. By the time we land in Durban, people are still chucking their toys. That was when I regaled this tale to the people in earshot, asking them if they were happy that the issue with the landing gear was sorted, or would they rather fly on a plane with a broken wheel...? The moaning ceased immediately. I had a good chuckle as we disembarked.

I'm flying next month for the first time in many years.  It may be small and insignificant compared to how much some of you fly, but I'm looking forward to it.

Going on an A320, an A319 and an ATR42 and then the same in reverse coming back.  The Airbus's are SAA, so I hope you've been doing your job well LWB! :ph34r:

When I was living in London, I stayed on the Thames on the 20th floor next to the flight path for London City airport and saw the ATR42/72's coming in all the time.  Have always wanted to fly on them since then and am excited to finally be trying it out.